People that were in the 70's please answer this question truthfully...
Jun 5, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #16 of 71
Neil Diamond was always more popular with moms than kids.

See ya
Steve

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #17 of 71
Obviously since I'm 23 I was not alive at the time this song was released, but I feel compelled to express my weariness of this song. My favorite bar here in town plays this song at least once every night. Every. Freaking. Night. Still, I suppose it is pretty funny to hear a packed bar full of drunk college folk sing "Sweet Caroline, Bah, Bah BAAAAHHHHH" every once in a while.

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #18 of 71
lol ... I thought that this thread was going to be about someone obscure and cool.

I was only eight years old in 1976, but slightly later (about 1978-9 I would think) Neil Diamond's Love at the Greek was one of the first cassettes that I ever bought. Whether you like his voice much is a question of personal preference, and his image was certainly not cool, but until his recent album 12 Songs (2005) got great reviews he was massively underrated. You only have to listen to "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon" from Pulp Fiction to know that the guy's got game.

Oh, and my wife's called Caroline (and likes Neil D.) so you might guess that the song is not unfamiliar to me!

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #19 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neil Diamond was always more popular with moms than kids.

See ya
Steve

For sure! A couple of my female friends in college were into Neil Diamond, and I'd say, "Who? Barry Manilow?" If they went for it and said, "No, Neil Diamond" my reply would be, "You know, it took me about 6 years to figure out that they were two different people..."

But I do like that song when I hear it on the radio these days, and in fairness, I never did actually listen to any of his albulms so it's hard to say. Perhaps I could have found something in there that I liked. Doubt it, but it's possible.

Jun 5, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #22 of 71
I was 16 in 1976 - NEVER liked Neil Diamond.

I listened extensively to Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep, Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith, AC/DC, UFO, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Rainbow, Rush, and other. It's obvious why I like heavy metal still today, as my early listening was to many bands that were the base of today's metal.

I didn't listen to much of Black Sabbath as I hated Ozzie's voice.

Jun 5, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #23 of 71
I was only 10 at the time but my Dad was a big fan, so I grew up listening to Neil Diamond as well as other artists of that period....Englebert Humperdink, Johnny Mathis, Trini Lopez, Connie Francis, Brenda Lee, Patsy Cline, etc.

Jun 5, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #26 of 71
I was just getting into music in 1976, and thought Neil Diamond was a square. I finally gained appreciation for him about 20 years later.

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #28 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol ... I thought that this thread was going to be about someone obscure and cool.

I was only eight years old in 1976, but slightly later (about 1978-9 I would think) Neil Diamond's Love at the Greek was one of the first cassettes that I ever bought. Whether you like his voice much is a question of personal preference, and his image was certainly not cool, but until his recent album 12 Songs (2005) got great reviews he was massively underrated. You only have to listen to "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon" from Pulp Fiction to know that the guy's got game.

Oh, and my wife's called Caroline (and likes Neil D.) so you might guess that the song is not unfamiliar to me!

I think 8 years old is the right age. I remember liking him in my early teens, probably because my parents did. By my mid-teens, I was into other music, not necessarily good music, but other music. Class of 78.

Edit: Not sure how to vote, since by 76, I was definitely not into him.

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #29 of 71
So I was 15 and knew even then that Neil Diamond had to be the uncoolest thing ever (until I heard Barry Manilow of course). My mother on the other hand thought he was great. That about sums it up still 30 years on.

I was listening to Bowie, Parliament, Earth Wind and Fire, Sex Pistols, and the Buzz****s circa 1976 - that was this teenager's idea of cool. But that song has to come from earlier in the 70s or maybe late 60s anyway.

Jun 5, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #30 of 71
I never thought I would hear the words "rocked it out", and the name Neil Diamond in the same sentence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back