pens...another passion
Oct 25, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #166 of 174
Quite the thread necromancy and Dia de los Muertos is still a week away!

Anyhow, are you looking for a nice rollerball that accepts new catridges or mightwe interest you in a fountain pen? If you've never used a fountain pen, you should. If I may dispel a couple of myths, they are not scratchy and they do not leak. Well, the good ones do not leak.

As for ink, there are hundreds of good ones to choose from. I've used those rollerballs and liked them, but have found a number of brands of fountain pen ink superior. A good ink can give you beautiful saturation, color and durability. Also, you don't need to use cartridges. Bottled ink is easy to use and there are great pens that only use bottled ink. You'll save money with bottled ink, as well.

Let us know what you're looking for and we'll point you in the right direction.

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #167 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know nothing about pens, but are there any cool looking refillable ones that are this style of ink?

I like fine tips and this rolling ball version, the ink flows instantly when you write and you don't have to push. I have a space pen that I like best of all the ballpoint kinds I have, but it's still a ballpoint.

I guess I just want a fine tip style that uses this ink but has refill cartridges..

Like Uncle Erik is saying, you can get really decent quality Fountain Pens that have fine tips and good flow. I would say a Parker Vector for cheap, but the tip isn't quite as fine as some would like. They do make a relatively good roller ball Vector too though.

I too would like to re-iterate that its pretty impressive that Head-Fi had another Pen Thread at one point in time: long enough ago that it was forgotten as well!

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #170 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite the thread necromancy and Dia de los Muertos is still a week away!

Anyhow, are you looking for a nice rollerball that accepts new catridges or mightwe interest you in a fountain pen? If you've never used a fountain pen, you should. If I may dispel a couple of myths, they are not scratchy and they do not leak. Well, the good ones do not leak.

As for ink, there are hundreds of good ones to choose from. I've used those rollerballs and liked them, but have found a number of brands of fountain pen ink superior. A good ink can give you beautiful saturation, color and durability. Also, you don't need to use cartridges. Bottled ink is easy to use and there are great pens that only use bottled ink. You'll save money with bottled ink, as well.

Let us know what you're looking for and we'll point you in the right direction.

Nope, never used a fountain pen, I really know nothing about them. I wouldn't mind buying one, but I don't really want to spend much. What is the cheapest I can go while still getting a semi-decent one?

I don't even know how big fountain pens are, are there any on the smaller size? Took a look at the Parker Vector ($36) and it doesn't look bad. I assume nibs are interchangeable? I'm not sure which size to go with to get what I'm used to with these fine point roller balls.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #171 of 174
I'm on a similar quest for a decent fountain pen...I'd like to keep the cost for the pen and a bottle of ink (noodler's??) under $50 if possible. Price wouldn't really matter for a perfect one, but with no way to try them first, I'm having trouble spending that much for a pen.

I tend to like fine line ballpoints and rollerballs (0.4mm, generally) and I write in very classic italics so something that either comes with an italic nib, or one that's inexpensive enough that the nib, pen, and ink would cost under $50, would be ideal.

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #173 of 174
Well, until I can afford one myself, I got my dad this for his 60th and engraved.

16960.jpg

In the meantime, I'm using this and though it can be kinda fragile, I love it when I do my graphic work on the side for fun.

GTecC4-bk.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back