The PENON official thread
Dec 2, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #1,171 of 13,911
Volts arriving tomorrow, super excited! Probably gonna be the last purchase for awhile. Will post impressions and comparisons to the competition in the price range (thieaudios, ej07, jq).

You're in for a treat, those are really able to compete with much pricier options... one of the best reviewing times for me!

Dec 2, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #1,172 of 13,911
It will be interesting compre Volt with Thieaudio Clairvoyance and Monarch :)
Clairvoyance reviews looks quite similar to Volt tuning.
I like Volt with Shanling M6 Pro but I’m tempted by New Hiby R6 2020

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #1,173 of 13,911
IEC711 frequency response measurement of the Volt:
Volt.jpg

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #1,179 of 13,911
Nice, would you mind throwing EJ07 FR over that if can, please? Also it could be nice if you could say something about your experienced differences between the 2.
Here you go, I have no idea how to match these but I did my best to have it make sense:
Volt vs EJ07.jpg

Since you've requested I'll rush out some impressions between these two first and get to the others later. Both on the graph and in listening I find the Volt far more coherent than the EJ07, bass mids and highs sound completely as one on the Volt, but disjointed on the EJ07. You can visually see this on the graph as well with the Volt showing smoother bass to mid and mid to high transitions. It's quite glaringly the most obvious difference, as it's a real strength on the Volt's and a real weakness on the Ej07. The Volts are possibly the most coherent of the tribrids I've heard, if not a close second to the Odin.

Bass is fuller on the Volt, there's more mid bass and overall it's more meaty and lush. EJ07 in comparison has slightly snappier bass response with the lift being mainly confined to the sub bass, bass quality is good on the EJ07 and this is the only area I feel it beats the Volts as the EJ07's bass is tighter and more textured. That's not to say that the Volt's bass is poor, in fact, the fuller presentation actually serves the overall signature very well, but it's simply not as compact as the EJ07, and overall just shy of great. Dynamics are good on both, extension is good on both.

Mids are no contest, hollow and tonally off on the EJ07, there's not enough lower mid presence, followed by a sudden logarithmic shaped pinna rise and high overall pinna gain, they were obviously trying to hit the Etymotic target but with the incoherence of their mixed driver design and shelved treble, it sounds like an Etymotic gone wrong. Mids on the Volt in comparison are the star of the show, with a lush, full presentation that's somehow not overly dense and still remains light on its feet. Top tier vocals, and by top tier I mean multi thousand dollar summit-fi top tier, Volt's can hang with the best of them in this department. Aside from those standouts, texturing, layering, tonal depth, note weight and dynamics are all excellent. If you like lush mids there's not much that's better regardless of price, but if you prefer a cleaner more analytical sound these probably won't be for you.

Treble is shelved on the EJ07 relative to the pinna hump, the anti sibilance dip at 6k which has no reason to exist on the EJ07's tuning doesn't help either, further sapping snap and hampering tonality of the mids. Extension is poor as well. The Volt's treble is a cherry on top of the whole sound signature. Smooth as can be, while retaining good sparkle and, not great, but serviceable extension. For most estats you can distinctly tell the textural difference from the BAs, but the Volt joins the MEST and Odin in the club of properly integrated estat treble. Extra coherent while still injecting a touch of that ethereal magic that the Sonion stats are famous for. Treble is definitely laid back and trebleheads should avoid, but for me, someone who simultaneously enjoys a darker, smoother treble presentation but still desires extension, the Volt is literally perfect. I can't think of anything better even if cost is no object.

Staging wise the two trade blows, the EJ07 is physically larger, Volt is more intimate but layers better. Both image very well.

In summary, since this has turned into almost full impressions, I'm really pleased with the Volt's tuning, it knows what it wants to sound like and confidently executes it. No wishy washy trying to hit every mark stuff here, just concisely done. If you want a warm, lush, mid centric IEM, this is easily one of the best options regardless of price. Mid heads rejoice!

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #1,180 of 13,911
Can anyone compare the IMR Acoustics Opus Mia and the Penon Volt?

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #1,181 of 13,911
That Volt FR graph is sexy... Volt might be mine.......come next 11/11 or Black Friday. Hey, I figure, if I'm gonna stubbornly reside in mid-tier (pricing at least) going forward, I might as well do it as economically as possible. My decided way to approach this hobby is not conducive to being on the bleeding edge, hahahaha. In the interim, loving and appreciating all the pics, graphs, reviews and short impressions y'all provide.

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #1,182 of 13,911
I have spent 8 hours a day with Volt since I got it a little over a week ago, this is exactly the kind of stunning value for money IEM that is the sweetspot for me... Penon is on the roll such a coherent and mature tuning. The fact I just spent this time listening and enjoying rather than taking notes right away is a good sign... I'll start this but I have so much fun I didn't get to writing up notes for the review yet :p

Dec 3, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #1,183 of 13,911
I have spent 8 hours a day with Volt since I got it a little over a week ago, this is exactly the kind of stunning value for money IEM that is the sweetspot for me... Penon is on the roll such a coherent and mature tuning. The fact I just spent this time listening and enjoying rather than taking notes right away is a good sign... I'll start this but I have so much fun I didn't get to writing up notes for the review yet :p
May you compare Volt to FIBAE7?

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,184 of 13,911
Here you go, I have no idea how to match these but I did my best to have it make sense:

Since you've requested I'll rush out some impressions between these two first and get to the others later. Both on the graph and in listening I find the Volt far more coherent than the EJ07, bass mids and highs sound completely as one on the Volt, but disjointed on the EJ07. You can visually see this on the graph as well with the Volt showing smoother bass to mid and mid to high transitions. It's quite glaringly the most obvious difference, as it's a real strength on the Volt's and a real weakness on the Ej07. The Volts are possibly the most coherent of the tribrids I've heard, if not a close second to the Odin.

Bass is fuller on the Volt, there's more mid bass and overall it's more meaty and lush. EJ07 in comparison has slightly snappier bass response with the lift being mainly confined to the sub bass, bass quality is good on the EJ07 and this is the only area I feel it beats the Volts as the EJ07's bass is tighter and more textured. That's not to say that the Volt's bass is poor, in fact, the fuller presentation actually serves the overall signature very well, but it's simply not as compact as the EJ07, and overall just shy of great. Dynamics are good on both, extension is good on both.

Mids are no contest, hollow and tonally off on the EJ07, there's not enough lower mid presence, followed by a sudden logarithmic shaped pinna rise and high overall pinna gain, they were obviously trying to hit the Etymotic target but with the incoherence of their mixed driver design and shelved treble, it sounds like an Etymotic gone wrong. Mids on the Volt in comparison are the star of the show, with a lush, full presentation that's somehow not overly dense and still remains light on its feet. Top tier vocals, and by top tier I mean multi thousand dollar summit-fi top tier, Volt's can hang with the best of them in this department. Aside from those standouts, texturing, layering, tonal depth, note weight and dynamics are all excellent. If you like lush mids there's not much that's better regardless of price, but if you prefer a cleaner more analytical sound these probably won't be for you.

Treble is shelved on the EJ07 relative to the pinna hump, the anti sibilance dip at 6k which has no reason to exist on the EJ07's tuning doesn't help either, further sapping snap and hampering tonality of the mids. Extension is poor as well. The Volt's treble is a cherry on top of the whole sound signature. Smooth as can be, while retaining good sparkle and, not great, but serviceable extension. For most estats you can distinctly tell the textural difference from the BAs, but the Volt joins the MEST and Odin in the club of properly integrated estat treble. Extra coherent while still injecting a touch of that ethereal magic that the Sonion stats are famous for. Treble is definitely laid back and trebleheads should avoid, but for me, someone who simultaneously enjoys a darker, smoother treble presentation but still desires extension, the Volt is literally perfect. I can't think of anything better even if cost is no object.

Staging wise the two trade blows, the EJ07 is physically larger, Volt is more intimate but layers better. Both image very well.

In summary, since this has turned into almost full impressions, I'm really pleased with the Volt's tuning, it knows what it wants to sound like and confidently executes it. No wishy washy trying to hit every mark stuff here, just concisely done. If you want a warm, lush, mid centric IEM, this is easily one of the best options regardless of price. Mid heads rejoice!

Thanks for comparing them and give in-depth sound analysis between the two. Also good to see a confirmation that the Volt is not EJ07 clone. I feel like chasing down few that harassed me because I said Volt is different from the EJ07.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #1,185 of 13,911
Also good to see a confirmation that the Volt is not EJ07 clone. I feel like chasing down few that harassed me because I said Volt is different from EJ07.
:joy: 🐯

Now I would love to read a comparison between the Volt and the Tri Starlight. I really appreciate the graphs.

Oh, since the bass/mid bass is so generous on the Volt, does it bleed into the midrange at all?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back