The PENON official thread
Jan 23, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #4,321 of 13,726
It's good news as it means @Dsnuts and I don't hear it totally different :)

I really don't think relationship between the number of drivers and mids being "better" is that simple. First you can't really equate DDs with BAs nor can you equate BAs and EST. Mutiple drivers array also means more complex crossover and while Penon is so apt at tuning coherent IEMs there is no rule of more is better there. I know single DD that do just as well as multi driver, multi tech offerings (well aside from EST transients speed that can't be matched).

Beware of this kind of assumptions...

Volt midrange is different than Legend although both are silky smooth and full bodied but Volt is less colored for starters, Legend is warmer (talking of Legend with all switches on). Legend also has a softer attack and longer decay with beautiful overtones and a deep layering that makes it so rich sounding while Volt is "cleaner" and more linear with a snappier midrange with better separation. Legend is more gestalt holistic kind of mids.

Thanks! :pray:

lol I wouldn't have put "Serial" and killer in the same sentence but the pun is funny :p

Haha… It was quite a challenge not to portmanteau those two words! Very interesting to learn about the subtleties between Volt and Legend, can’t wait for your thorough comparison between the two heavyweights!

Jan 24, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #4,322 of 13,726
It's good news as it means @Dsnuts and I don't hear it totally different :)

I really don't think relationship between the number of drivers and mids being "better" is that simple. First you can't really equate DDs with BAs nor can you equate BAs and EST. Mutiple drivers array also means more complex crossover and while Penon is so apt at tuning coherent IEMs there is no rule of more is better there. I know single DD that do just as well as multi driver, multi tech offerings (well aside from EST transients speed that can't be matched).

Beware of this kind of assumptions...

Oh well. I was hopeful @ first, but now...
U18T.jpg
1643004968358.png

(Previous multi BA)
...I'll wait a while

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #4,324 of 13,726
Jan 25, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #4,325 of 13,726
So the ISN G4 synergizes extremely well with the Serial. Just threw them on the Serial and compared how it sounds vs the stock CS819 cable and the G4.
DSC09400.JPG
Sound expands a touch with better stage perception, greater depth which helps again with imaging and detail of the Serial. Greater note weight for the overall sonics. Everything sounds a smidge fuller thicker more denser. Overall sound has better texture. The serial can lean a bit toward neutrality in presence but with the right cable you can lean that sound toward a fuller bodied sound and the ISN G4 does just this. I perceive better bass impact like I mentioned previously, and that added note weight helps synergize with the Serial. Excellent pairing. You want a clear upgraded cable for the Serial. ISN G4 is that clear upgrade.

yes serial comes with CS819

Jan 25, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #4,326 of 13,726
First Impressions - Penon Serial
The Serial Boozer

The year 2022 continues to be fantastic in my purchase decisions. First the excellent S12 followed by the insane CCA CRA and now the new wunderkind by the relatively unknown manufacturer Penon. This is my first purchase from Penon and it was paid with my own money. The Serial is a multi-DD (3 DD) IEM and this is the frequency response graph I measured.

1643149492374.png

My first encounter with multi DD IEMs was with the KZ DQ6 shortly followed by the Blon BL-Max. I was very intrigued by both sets more so by the Blon but both were not perfect. So I looked around for a more mid-fi contender and found the UM 3DT which ultimately looked too bright on the graph to open my wallet. Finally I decided to give the Serial a try and boyo the decision was a good one.
Right now I feel like.

1643149519047.gif

How do they sound?
First adjectives that came to mind during the initial listening session: lush, analog, opulent, pleasant, soothing
The Serial is the antipode to planar IEMs but in a good sense. It envelops me into totally cozy listening bubble.
Listening to these rids all harshness, sharpness and brightness from overly energetic recorded tunes.
They have indeed a therapeutic effect on my temper. I find them perfect to chill out after work when you don't want to hear any annoying harshness.
But don't get me wrong these can still rock your socks off. These are the kind of IEM where you can pump up the volume to nasty levels and feel no remorse.

Regarding detail and resolution: don't get the wrong impression that they don't have these traits. It's simply that the detail and resolution is not focused on the mids and upwards frequencies but rather on the mids and downwards. Point being the bass detail on the Serial is the best I ever heard in any IEM.
These could be the perfect monitors for drummers. The bass decay is simply perfect.

Let me show you a few tracks where the Serials perform incredibly well

Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good (drumming from 3:00 - 4:30 sounds sooo good)

Dio - Gypsy (epic drum play throughout the whole track by Vinny Appice)

Dio - Holy Diver (also epic drumming by Vinny Appice)

Boston - Foreplay / Long Time (insane arena rock that has all the good stuff, organs, multi vocalists, multi guitars electric and acoustic)

The Serials bring drums to center stage which brings me to the soundstage.

Soundstage
If I compare the Serial with a real life soundstage the Serials would be a small brick and mortar rock venue with maybe 300 people capacity.
In this rock venue imagine hovering directly over the drummer and the bassist (who stands close to the drummer). This describes exactly the soundstage.
In contrast the Ikko OH10 would be positioned between the lead guitar amps and the singer.

The Who?
Now who is this IEM for? This is for sure no generalist IEM.
I'd recommend the Serial to anyone who has lots of older records like myself (60s, 70s, 80s).
For example I have digitized my dad's complete Vinyl collection with tons of 70s hard rock (Nazareth, Journey, Budgie, Deep Purple, The Who etc.).
I can't cope to listen to this collection with a highly resolving IEM like a planar because the Vinyl crackling goes on my nerves pretty fast.
With the Serials I have no problem at all. The analog sounding characteristic of it makes me think I'm in the living room with my parents in the 80s listening to Queen and jumping over the couch like a mad child.
Hip-Hop, Drum 'n Bass, IDM libraries are also a good match.

Mind you the Serial is not a one trick pony the few tracks I listened to that have no drumming or bass focus still perform very well.
Anyway these are my day 1 impressions.

Finally there is a sound demo available and as always this shows only a rough comparison between the Serial and the Ikko OH10.

Finally finally, enjoy the music and have a good one.

PS: Why The Serial Boozer you ask? Because it intoxicates you without the next day hangover.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #4,327 of 13,726
Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good (drumming from 3:00 - 4:30 sounds sooo good)
Yes sir, one of my all time favorites! The sound demo is also a huge help to people interested in getting a taste for the Serial's tuning, sounds exactly like my set when you switch from the OH10 to the Serial. Awesome first impressions!

Update on mine, after about 40 hours of burn-in now everything has opened up and the bass/kick drum slam has increased greatly, much more so than the FD3, which upon first impressions of Serial was opposite. Still going to evaluate further, looking for my "perfect" tuning preference between natural or analytical. I really appreciate the replies from Dsnuts and other members explaining how the Serial's drivers need a bit of time to reach their full potential, being used to having IEMs that require very little burn in. Everyone here has been a big help in learning more about higher end (to me) IEMs and how to enjoy them properly.

Jan 29, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #4,328 of 13,726
25ACC833-DA8F-4D82-BCCD-541A83AC6A8C.jpeg

There’s no justice in the cable world, is there? Serial gets the PAC480, Fan gets the Flow.

(And that, my friends, is how the two end up costing almost the same…)

But the Fan has been hogging the Flow for some time now and the Serial would like it back…

The Flow is much more like a firehose that lets everything through. That’s why it got its name, isn’t it? I’m not into measurements but I reckon that if anyone tried, they’d get very low resistance indeed with the Flow.

The Fan likes that. We know it loves power, and it’s noticeably more fun with the Flow and a bit more restrained with the PAC480. Not often that anyone is going to say that of a pure silver cable vs a hybrid with a thick vein of copper in it.

I didn’t mind moving the Flow off the Serial in the early days while it was still burning in. The Flow exposed some minor incoherence in the drivers early on (the only time I ever heard it in the Serial actually; totally gone now) and the PAC480 actually helped tighten things up a bit while proving to be a great match for the Serial’s glorious low end.

And yes, I tried rolling other cables, Penon and non-Penon as well, and it still came back to these two for these two IEMs. Haven’t actually decided what to do, if anything even. Just thought some of you might understand and appreciate these first world problems :)

Jan 30, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #4,330 of 13,726
25ACC833-DA8F-4D82-BCCD-541A83AC6A8C.jpeg

There’s no justice in the cable world, is there? Serial gets the PAC480, Fan gets the Flow.

(And that, my friends, is how the two end up costing almost the same…)

But the Fan has been hogging the Flow for some time now and the Serial would like it back…

The Flow is much more like a firehose that lets everything through. That’s why it got its name, isn’t it? I’m not into measurements but I reckon that if anyone tried, they’d get very low resistance indeed with the Flow.

The Fan likes that. We know it loves power, and it’s noticeably more fun with the Flow and a bit more restrained with the PAC480. Not often that anyone is going to say that of a pure silver cable vs a hybrid with a thick vein of copper in it.

I didn’t mind moving the Flow off the Serial in the early days while it was still burning in. The Flow exposed some minor incoherence in the drivers early on (the only time I ever heard it in the Serial actually; totally gone now) and the PAC480 actually helped tighten things up a bit while proving to be a great match for the Serial’s glorious low end.

And yes, I tried rolling other cables, Penon and non-Penon as well, and it still came back to these two for these two IEMs. Haven’t actually decided what to do, if anything even. Just thought some of you might understand and appreciate these first world problems :)
wow how much is that flow anyways?? i wanna try it when i can after 1 month when i settle down haha!!
could you describe about the pairing a bit more ?

My fan loves the kanas pro stock cable a lot and i use it a lot ,
but recently it seems to be hogging into my EARSONICS grace iem cable- the rhapsodio RSD hybrid haha !!!
But xinhs hybrid the Graphene plated copper and gold plated copper cable works its own magic with grace ,
so yeah for the time being , i will keep FAN happy !!!

Jan 31, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #4,331 of 13,726
Oh my! :heart_eyes:

1643615108194.png

1643615052128.png

(ctto : Penon) ECCI YST-02

1BA + Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2pin HiFi in-ear Earphone IEM
Custom ultra-high single balanced armature
Japanese CCAW voice coil dynamic driver
5N single crystal copper silver-plated cable
Acoustic Space Tuning Technology
PVD gold-plated border inlaid dyed natural abalone shells
Easy to push omnivorous, comfortable to wear
Starting from the heart, YST

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #4,332 of 13,726
How do the Fans take to EQ? For some reason I've really fallen out of love with my Honeydews in recent weeks and I'd like a warm and less bassy IEM to replace them, something more of an all-rounder. I've had my eye on the Shozy SCB2 for the longest time, but I can't really afford a 300 dollar pair right now, so I figured the Fans could be worth checking out.

I'm asking because the only Fan review that actually talks about the sound on the review side of this site mentions slightly recessed mids and only a touch of warmth, so I'd be giving the lower mids a clear bump in EQ (with Qudelix 5k) because I love them mids warm, like WARM warm, and intimate and very forward and smooth and hefty, especially in the vocal ranges. This always makes me feel like a huge weirdo when I say it out loud, but I really love it when the vocals almost feel like they're inside my head, filling my skull.

edit: I suppose I could consider the Spheres, too, if yall think they'd fit my needs better. I do like bass punch or impact though and I've never heard BA bass, so I'm not sure if it'd be a bit too soft for me.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #4,333 of 13,726
How do the Fans take to EQ? For some reason I've really fallen out of love with my Honeydews in recent weeks and I'd like a warm and less bassy IEM to replace them, something more of an all-rounder. I've had my eye on the Shozy SCB2 for the longest time, but I can't really afford a 300 dollar pair right now, so I figured the Fans could be worth checking out.

I'm asking because the only Fan review that actually talks about the sound on the review side of this site mentions slightly recessed mids and only a touch of warmth, so I'd be giving the lower mids a clear bump in EQ (with Qudelix 5k) because I love them mids warm, like WARM warm, and intimate and very forward and smooth and hefty, especially in the vocal ranges. This always makes me feel like a huge weirdo when I say it out loud, but I really love it when the vocals almost feel like they're inside my head, filling my skull.

edit: I suppose I could consider the Spheres, too, if yall think they'd fit my needs better. I do like bass punch or impact though and I've never heard BA bass, so I'm not sure if it'd be a bit too soft for me.

Warm warm is SCB2. Keep that on your radar! I don't run the Fan with EQ but from brief experimentation it takes to a midbass/low mid boost well. The Fan would make a good all-rounder for the price.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #4,334 of 13,726
Warm warm is SCB2. Keep that on your radar! I don't run the Fan with EQ but from brief experimentation it takes to a midbass/low mid boost well. The Fan would make a good all-rounder for the price.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to get the SCB2 at some point, probably later this year. The way it's been described, I'm hoping it'll be the "end-game" IEM for me since I'd rather try and stick with more affordable IEMs if at all possible.

But I need something to keep me happy in the meantime! I have a pair of Blon BL-03s coming in the mail already, but mostly out of pure curiosity, I don't really expect them to work out. Had a pair a couple years back and could never get the fit right, but I have a lot more tips nowadays so I thought I might as well check them out again.

Jan 31, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #4,335 of 13,726
Oh my! :heart_eyes:

1643615108194.png
1643615052128.png
(ctto : Penon) ECCI YST-02

1BA + Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2pin HiFi in-ear Earphone IEM
Custom ultra-high single balanced armature
Japanese CCAW voice coil dynamic driver
5N single crystal copper silver-plated cable
Acoustic Space Tuning Technology
PVD gold-plated border inlaid dyed natural abalone shells
Easy to push omnivorous, comfortable to wear
Starting from the heart, YST

Sounds like promising! Will be looking out for first impressions. Full range DD + ultra high BA sounds like it could be a good thing for timbre and coherence.

Anyone know if they are somehow related to Penon or if Penon had a part in their creation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back