The PENON official thread
Sep 5, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #3,212 of 13,653
That’s some intense track testing with multiple recharges! :muscle:

I think that is precisely why we are all here. :ksc75smile:

It all started with the Orb for me and henceforth became my preferred brand since. I doubt I’ll ever ventured anywhere near Volts + Totem or Legend + Storm territory but sincerely hope the folks at Penon will come out with more outstanding mid-ranger in the near future.

As for the Legend, I think it’ll play extremely well with works by 9 Lazy 9.

<iframe style="border: 0; width: 350px; height: 470px;" src="https://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer...kcol=0687f5/tracklist=false/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="">Breitling Orbiter 8 by Jichael Mackson</a></iframe>

Sep 5, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #3,213 of 13,653
Sep 5, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #3,214 of 13,653
DSC08849.JPG

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-legend.25409/reviews#review-26715

Its a longer one. But well deserved. Summit level Penon sound. So much goodness from these.

Sep 5, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #3,215 of 13,653
… Its a longer one. But well deserved. Summit level Penon sound. So much goodness from these.
Thank you for an excellent and very detailed review.

It did leave me with one question though, and that is:

How does the Volt/Storm combo compare to Volt/Totem?

I’m just wondering how much your preference for the Legend/Storm combination over Volt/Totem combination might be driven by cable differences?

Or is the Volt/Storm not a good pairing?

Sep 5, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #3,216 of 13,653
Storm matches up nicely with the Volts actually. It sounds nicely refined with the Storm. It does for the Volts pretty much what it does for the Legends.

As for the Legend Storm vs the Volts totem comparison. Legends has a wider stage over the volts and totem which is no small feat. Legends go down as Penons widest sounding earphones. Its mids have more of what makes the Volts sound so good. A bit more in the way of note weight and fullness over the volt totem combination. Mids sounds more rangy in comparison. The 4BAs for mids in the Legend vs 2BAs for mids for Volts seem to make a difference here.

Both presentation are classic Penon sound but Legend has more of it with the Storm if that make sense. It is literally one level over the Volt in presentation, stage, imaging and overall sound quality. It has a grander stage with a grander presentation. I think the Volts and Totem is about on par with how the Legends sound with its stock cable the Flows. The Storm does some amazing things on the Legend sound.

Sep 6, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #3,217 of 13,653
Sep 6, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #3,218 of 13,653
Ya it was a fun little write up. Been working on it all week. Great thing about the Legend is that it doesn't need the Storm to sound optimal. Its great to have two different variations on the Legend sound. I prefer the Flow and Legend out of my Shanling Daps and the DX160. I prefer the Storm and Legend out of my M15 and DX300Max.

Looking forward to your take on them Ian.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #3,219 of 13,653
Ya it was a fun little write up. Been working on it all week. Great thing about the Legend is that it doesn't need the Storm to sound optimal. Its great to have two different variations on the Legend sound. I prefer the Flow and Legend out of my Shanling Daps and the DX160. I prefer the Storm and Legend out of my M15 and DX300Max.

Looking forward to your take on them Ian.
You should consider M9😜

Sep 6, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #3,220 of 13,653
DSC08849.JPG

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-legend.25409/reviews#review-26715

Its a longer one. But well deserved. Summit level Penon sound. So much goodness from these.
Did you find that the Legends improved significantly after a period of burn-in? I know it’s pretty unusual with BA IEMs but I swear what was already a pretty great pair just got really incredible after about 50 hours of burn-in, so much so that it was a little surprising. Bass got richer and more textured, stage widened and deepened. Or is it just me?

Sep 6, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #3,221 of 13,653
Stage for me got more expansive after my weeks worth of burn in. I didn't think the stage was exceptionally wide or deep on initial listen but all that changed after a weeks worth. I did a head to head last night with the Totem volt combo and the Storm Legend combo. There is no question just how expansive the sound is on the Legend.

Listening to them right now as I am typing using my DX300Max. Which throws out a wide expansive stage as it is. This in combo with the Storm Legend is end game material for me. I just can't figure out if there is any type of weakness to this presentation. Even sub bass sounds excellent and that was the only nit pick I had on my review. Lol.

I am listening to tracks I have heard over 100s of times and all of them sound better using this combo vs anything else I own. You know an earphone is serious business when it makes you reappreciate your favorite tracks all over again.

Sep 6, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #3,222 of 13,653
Stage for me got more expansive after my weeks worth of burn in. I didn't think the stage was exceptionally wide or deep on initial listen but all that changed after a weeks worth. I did a head to head last night with the Totem volt combo and the Storm Legend combo. There is no question just how expansive the sound is on the Legend.

Listening to them right now as I am typing using my DX300Max. Which throws out a wide expansive stage as it is. This in combo with the Storm Legend is end game material for me. I just can't figure out if there is any type of weakness to this presentation. Even sub bass sounds excellent and that was the only nit pick I had on my review. Lol.

I am listening to tracks I have heard over 100s of times and all of them sound better using this combo vs anything else I own. You know an earphone is serious business when it makes you reappreciate your favorite tracks all over again.
I’ve definitely noticed the stage widening/deepening and sub bass has become a lot more apparent over the last 50 or so hours for me. Initially they were my two nitpicks too but no longer. To me these are a significant step up from my much-loved Volts. Very impressive.

Sep 7, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #3,223 of 13,653
Bass got richer and more textured

This has been the most noticeable and appreciated change so far. Not at 50hours burn in yet but hoping the stage will open up some more. :)

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #3,224 of 13,653
So I am guilty of not playing around with the switches as much as I should have. I pretty much left it on all 3 switches on the on position. I went back and played with them a bit more. The two switches that have the greatest effect on sound is the center switch or atmosphere and obviously the bass switch.

The center switch is the opposite of what I am used to. I think the reason why there is a greater expansion of sound being a bit more airy and atmospheric is due to the center swich affecting lower mids. With the 3 switches off, this is actually the most balanced presentation and the least colored out of the options which enhances vocal effects and the lower mids to be just a bit more forward.

The treble or 1 switch and the bass switch the 3 both enhance those parts but since the center swtich is the opposite of what was traditionally and added mids emphasis it makes sense to get a slightly more V shaped signature with an increase of efficiency for the sound. Might lower impedence after flicking on all switches which in turn increases presence of all the regions also having the effect of giving a grander airy stage.

What threw me off a bit is when using the Storm cable it enhances mids with a fuller more richer tone so it counters what the switches do but also retains that airy larger stage. I do prefer having all 3 switches on using the Storm

Believe it or not it is the stock cables the Flows that gives the best perception of what the switches do vs the Storm as it is much less colored sound using the Flows. Will have to amend my review a bit but for the most part the way they did the switches makes more of an effect vs your traditional adding a bit in the 3 regions of sound with the 3 switches.

Sep 8, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #3,225 of 13,653
It didn't dawn on me that the effect of the atmosphere switch is similar in what it does to my I can Micro and Black label.
with their 3D switches on. These two amps have a greater effect but this is a cool little switch and worth noting on the Legend as it does enhance your stage perception and imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back