The PENON official thread
Aug 31, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #3,121 of 13,623
Penon Legend – First Impressions

This will be very rough-and-ready and not in detail as I have only received the Legend today. I want to reserve complete judgement for when the IEM has settled and I have acclimatised to what it offers and that will come with the full review in a week or so. As such everything below is subject to change. I’ve also had very little chance to experiment with the switches as of yet.

However, I don’t underestimate the value of first impressions. Often those initial impressions reach deeper and mean more, at least ‘musically’, than statements made after much thought and analysis. The contrast to what you’ve heard before is often stark and things stand out more clearly…

Let’s get this out of the way: this is a very good IEM that competes easily at its price point and beyond. I was taken aback by just how musical it is. It is bold in its presentation and demands a certain amount of attention. It has the Penon house sound in spades with a warm-leaning, midcentric signature with plenty of detail and a realistic note weight. Prior to purchasing the Legend I was worried what this all BA IEM might sound like after bad experiences other all BA’s IEMs that are often unable to completely engage me like a DD can. My recent enjoyment of Penons house tuning was the only reassurance I needed – I had some confidence they would an all BA config with heart and tactility and they have.

The star of the show, not surprisingly, is the midrange. Penon has not cut any corners here. The Legend makes great use of the 4 Sonion BAs. In the default 000 switch position called ‘vocals’, it is exactly that, an intimate, smooth and spacious presentation that draws your attention to vocal work. Flicking the switch to 003 (balanced), the bass is lifted slightly and possibly with greater subbass extension. These both act to offset the midrange presence and as the name suggests bring a bit more balance for a wider variety of music. I can’t appreciate any BA timbre in the midrange. I don’t appreciate any shout or sibilance from the mids to lower treble but I would say if you don’t like forward mids, look elsewhere. For me, that’s where the heart of the music lies. String instruments are sweet, detailed and full of emotion with great harmonic extension.

Once you look past the midrange it doesn’t take long to notice that it’s supported by brilliant technicalities. The stage has good depth and plenty of height wrapping around the head and the images thrown by the 14BAs is very life-like in dimension, this especially noticeable in Jazz trio performances. This stage combined with the layering and dynamics of the all BA config ensures the Legend has zero issue tackling the busiest of electronic and most the atmospheric of ambient music – in fact it will probably be my go-to set for these genres.

I’m not a bass head, more a midhead (is that a thing?), but the bass is definitely here and accounted for. Midbass has impact and subbass has rumble. Plenty for complete engagement with the bassline.

I think I will end it there for now, I want more time to experiment with the switches and various genres, but with what I’ve thrown at it so far (jazz, world, pop, electronic, ambient) the Legend has passed with flying colours.

This is Penon dialled up to a 100 with a midcentric monitor that's more than happy to put on a show. They are gunning for the kilobuck market and I think they've done it.
Given you have Isabelle how do these compare with Isabelle mids ??
And yes first impressions are really something to take note of - reasons
1) put it for burn in if some reviews says it, then do it and then compare notes before and after burn in, control your urges to listen in between 🤣 (imho some require and some dont )
2) Hey first out of box experience- be the best ever experience you get and no burn in required
Isn't that what we want , I remember being pissed off hifiman for making me burn Sundara for 96 something hours, ( I was in control never listened in between ) so the treble becomes much better in the ending of notes
3) Helps you get an approximate idea too 😁
And thanks for the first impressions Ian 👍

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #3,122 of 13,623
Given you have Isabelle how do these compare with Isabelle mids ??
And yes first impressions are really something to take note of - reasons
1) put it for burn in if some reviews says it, then do it and then compare notes before and after burn in, control your urges to listen in between 🤣 (imho some require and some dont )
2) Hey first out of box experience- be the best ever experience you get and no burn in required
Isn't that what we want , I remember being pissed off hifiman for making me burn Sundara for 96 something hours, ( I was in control never listened in between ) so the treble becomes much better in the ending of notes
3) Helps you get an approximate idea too 😁
And thanks for the first impressions Ian 👍

Indeed. I can usually tell if I'm going to like an IEM within the first few minutes of listening but I try not to get blinkered too quickly, going away and coming back time and again to see if I observe anything new.

Isabellaes mids are drier, less forward and contain less microdetail.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #3,123 of 13,623
Indeed. I can usually tell if I'm going to like an IEM within the first few minutes of listening but I try not to get blinkered too quickly, going away and coming back time and again to see if I observe anything new.

Isabellaes mids are drier and less forward and contain less microdetail.
Yup I thought so , full BA and their details are excellent 👍
Thanks for confirming have fun not taking them out of ears 🤣( happens to me all the time 😅 , so scoldings from parents are always in order later on 🤣)
Edit - I hate autocorrect on smartphones 😅

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #3,124 of 13,623
Aug 31, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #3,126 of 13,623
Penon Legend – First Impressions

This will be very rough-and-ready and not in detail as I have only received the Legend today. I want to reserve complete judgement for when the IEM has settled and I have acclimatised to what it offers and that will come with the full review in a week or so. As such everything below is subject to change. I’ve also had very little chance to experiment with the switches as of yet.

However, I don’t underestimate the value of first impressions. Often those initial impressions reach deeper and mean more, at least ‘musically’, than statements made after much thought and analysis. The contrast to what you’ve heard before is often stark and things stand out more clearly…

Let’s get this out of the way: this is a very good IEM that competes easily at its price point and beyond. I was taken aback by just how musical it is. It is bold in its presentation and demands a certain amount of attention. It has the Penon house sound in spades with a warm-leaning, midcentric signature with plenty of detail and a realistic note weight. Prior to purchasing the Legend I was worried what this all BA IEM might sound like after bad experiences other all BA’s IEMs that are often unable to completely engage me like a DD can. My recent enjoyment of Penons house tuning was the only reassurance I needed – I had some confidence they would do an all BA config with heart and tactility and they have.

The star of the show, not surprisingly, is the midrange. Penon has not cut any corners here. The Legend makes great use of the 4 Sonion BAs. In the default 000 switch position called ‘vocals’, it is exactly that, an intimate, smooth and spacious presentation that draws your attention to vocal work. Flicking the switch to 003 (balanced), the bass is lifted slightly and possibly with greater subbass extension. These both act to offset the midrange presence and as the name suggests bring a bit more balance for a wider variety of music. I can’t appreciate any BA timbre in the midrange. I don’t appreciate any shout or sibilance from the mids to lower treble but I would say if you don’t like forward mids, look elsewhere. For me, that’s where the heart of the music lies. String instruments are sweet, detailed and full of emotion with great harmonic extension.

Once you look past the midrange it doesn’t take long to notice that it’s supported by brilliant technicalities. The stage has good depth and plenty of height wrapping around the head and the images thrown by the 14BAs are very life-like in dimension, this is especially noticeable in Jazz trio performances. This stage combined with the layering and dynamics of the all BA config ensures the Legend has zero issue tackling the busiest of electronic and most the atmospheric of ambient music – in fact it will probably be my go-to set for these genres.

I’m not a bass head, more a midhead (is that a thing?), but the bass is definitely here and accounted for. Midbass has impact and subbass has rumble. Plenty for complete engagement with the bassline.

I think I will end it there for now, I want more time to experiment with the switches and various genres, but with what I’ve thrown at it so far (jazz, world, pop, electronic, ambient) the Legend has passed with flying colours.

This is Penon dialled up to a 100 with a midcentric monitor that's more than happy to put on a show. They are gunning for the kilobuck market and I think they've done it.
On first listen, I would concur with most of this. One thing I can add is that the @Penon Storm cable adds a significant improvement to an already pretty great presentation. I’m really looking forward to exploring what these aptly titled Legends are capable of in the coming days. Off to a VERY impressive start!

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #3,128 of 13,623
Aug 31, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #3,129 of 13,623
Ok these IEMs are seriously impressive, giving much more expensive sets a serious run for their money. And I haven’t even played with the switches yet either. @Penon have a real winner on their hands with the Legend.

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #3,130 of 13,623
KickAss, which of your collection is closest to the signature of the legend?

Sep 1, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #3,132 of 13,623
@ian91 How is the pinna gain on the Legend compared to the Globe? Is there a tuning switch with dead neutral or flat sub-bass? Thanks.

Sep 1, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #3,133 of 13,623
One thing I can add is that the @Penon Storm cable adds a significant improvement to an already pretty great presentation.

I really need to hear the Storm now...

Ok these IEMs are seriously impressive, giving much more expensive sets a serious run for their money. And I haven’t even played with the switches yet either. @Penon have a real winner on their hands with the Legend.

They are very dimensional aren't they! The switches are subtle but they're cleverly done, with purpose.

How is the pinna gain on the Legend compared to the Globe? Is there a tuning switch with dead neutral or flat sub-bass? Thanks.

Pinna greater than Globe. Vocal switch position 000 I think (early days) is flat subbass.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #3,134 of 13,623
Experimenting with the switches today on the Legend. Starting to get a handle on what they do and they really can fine tune things to taste. Glad they don't feel like a pointless novelty. :beerchug:

Sep 1, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #3,135 of 13,623
So this is very early days and I'd love to hear other opinions on the effect of the switches @KickAssChewGum, @Dsnuts (as I could just be hearing things!). I haven't reached out to Penon to confirm any of this, so treat it with appropriate caution.

The far right column is what I've found works well so far. Below the table are my thoughts on what the switches might be doing. This is all personal preference really and based off hours and not days of experimentation.

Also note that the Legend is still very versatile in 000 and/or 003. I wouldn't consider it necessary to experiment but variety is the spice of life and all that...

Switch PositionManufacturer Description Genre
100High Hz enhancedVocals
023Low Hz enhancedElectronic/Metal/Hip Hop
123Full Frequency enhanced?
000VocalVocals/Folk/Acoustic
003BalanceVarious/World/Jazz
020Atmosphere enhancedAmbient
120Transparent atmosphereAmbient
103Transparent balanceElectronic

1 - ?possibly more treble presence and upper treble air

2 – ?less midrange presence / more balanced sig / stage perception increased

3 - ?slight subbass & midbass lift – in zero position subbass still audible but with midbass focus

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back