The PENON official thread
Aug 30, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #3,106 of 13,734
The Legend should arrive tomorrow. I'll have some first impressions up later in the evening / Wednesday! :k701smile:
Mine too! After a week of being trapped in Hong Kong it should finally be arriving tomorrow. Will post initial impressions in a day or two with a proper review to follow later.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #3,109 of 13,734
You guys want to test out what the Legend can do. Mambo Legends sounds freaking amazing using the Legend. This track from Mambo Legends sounds unreal. 21 piece orchestra. So much awesome going on in this track. Random track I was listening to just how. Legends on some Legend action

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #3,110 of 13,734
I think I'm looking at another delay while they sit in a bank holiday back log at the local depot...Not especially express service from UPS this time!

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #3,111 of 13,734
Ok...so I got impatient and went to the depot to collect them...

Running them in now but I can already tell these are aptly named...I cannot wait to review them.

_DSC2400.jpg

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #3,113 of 13,734
Ok...so I got impatient and went to the depot to collect them...

Running them in now but I can already tell these are aptly named...I cannot wait to review them.

_DSC2400.jpg

Awesome!

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #3,114 of 13,734
hope to see A/B comparison to the Aladdin.

'Chalk and cheese' tuning approach and the Legend is in a totally different league. These are kilobuck+ contenders.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #3,116 of 13,734
Oh so those are shredded carbon fiber style on the faceplate. Nice touch! Waiting for your impressions. :)

Yeah, it hasn't been captured very well in product photos. Before they arrived I wasn't sure whether there was a brushed effect or it was just lighting on product photos. I was very happy find out it wasn't just plain black.

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #3,117 of 13,734
Yeah, it hasn't been captured very well in product photos. Before they arrived I wasn't sure whether there was a brushed effect or it was just lighting on product photos. I was very happy find out it wasn't just plain black.
Looking forward to your impression on this big boy! The face plate is so low key, noice!

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #3,119 of 13,734
And oh… I totally get that feeling.

Haha, I couldn't wait another 2 days when they were just down the road from me.

I'll most likely have my impressions up by the end of this evening. Keep your eyes peeled!

Have another picture while you wait...

_DSC2420.jpg

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #3,120 of 13,734
Penon Legend – First Impressions

This will be very rough-and-ready and not in detail as I have only received the Legend today. I want to reserve complete judgement for when the IEM has settled and I have acclimatised to what it offers and that will come with the full review in a week or so. As such everything below is subject to change. I’ve also had very little chance to experiment with the switches as of yet.

However, I don’t underestimate the value of first impressions. Often those initial impressions reach deeper and mean more, at least ‘musically’, than statements made after much thought and analysis. The contrast to what you’ve heard before is often stark and things stand out more clearly…

Let’s get this out of the way: this is a very good IEM that competes easily at its price point and beyond. I was taken aback by just how musical it is. It is bold in its presentation and demands a certain amount of attention. It has the Penon house sound in spades with a warm-leaning, midcentric signature with plenty of detail and a realistic note weight. Prior to purchasing the Legend I was worried what this all BA IEM might sound like after bad experiences other all BA’s IEMs that are often unable to completely engage me like a DD can. My recent enjoyment of Penons house tuning was the only reassurance I needed – I had some confidence they would do an all BA config with heart and tactility and they have.

The star of the show, not surprisingly, is the midrange. Penon has not cut any corners here. The Legend makes great use of the 4 Sonion BAs. In the default 000 switch position called ‘vocals’, it is exactly that, an intimate, smooth and spacious presentation that draws your attention to vocal work. Flicking the switch to 003 (balanced), the bass is lifted slightly and possibly with greater subbass extension. These both act to offset the midrange presence and as the name suggests bring a bit more balance for a wider variety of music. I can’t appreciate any BA timbre in the midrange. I don’t appreciate any shout or sibilance from the mids to lower treble but I would say if you don’t like forward mids, look elsewhere. For me, that’s where the heart of the music lies. String instruments are sweet, detailed and full of emotion with great harmonic extension.

Once you look past the midrange it doesn’t take long to notice that it’s supported by brilliant technicalities. The stage has good depth and plenty of height wrapping around the head and the images thrown by the 14BAs are very life-like in dimension, this is especially noticeable in Jazz trio performances. This stage combined with the layering and dynamics of the all BA config ensures the Legend has zero issue tackling the busiest of electronic and most the atmospheric of ambient music – in fact it will probably be my go-to set for these genres.

I’m not a bass head, more a midhead (is that a thing?), but the bass is definitely here and accounted for. Midbass has impact and subbass has rumble. Plenty for complete engagement with the bassline.

I think I will end it there for now, I want more time to experiment with the switches and various genres, but with what I’ve thrown at it so far (jazz, world, pop, electronic, ambient) the Legend has passed with flying colours.

This is Penon dialled up to a 100 with a midcentric monitor that's more than happy to put on a show. They are gunning for the kilobuck market and I think they've done it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back