Penguin "Caffeine" VS Mini³ - What is the better purchase for the DT770's?
May 22, 2009 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lastdodobird

Head-Fier
The "Caffeine" Headphone Amplifier

vs

The Mini³ Portable Stereo Headphone Amplifier

What do you think I should buy as my first entry-level amp?

I will probably use this with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770/250 ('05) headphones and the source will usually be an iPod playing high-quality MP3's.

iPod >> Caffeine/Mini³ >> Beyerdynamic DT 770/250 ('05)

another setup might be:

Desktop PC >> DAC >> Caffeine/Mini³ >> Beyerdynamic DT 770/250 ('05)

I usually listen and enjoy heavy and/or layered music such as metal and post-rock.

What do you think, guys?

May 22, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #2 of 6
Well I've never tried the Caffeine but I can say the mini^3 does a fair job of driving my DT770 05's. However I find the difference between my mini^3 and LDI+ to be quite substantial.

So I cannot really recommend a portable amp for the DT770s as they are quite hard to drive, I would suggest looking into lower-end desktop amplifiers. But if portability is an issue and that's all you can afford right now then I say go for the mini^3. I guess it's better than nothing
tongue.gif

EDIT: So do you have the DT770s on you right now? Or are you planning to buy them? Also, what DAC are you using or plan to use?

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 6
Since I dont like the high freq signature of the 80ohm model, I went for the 250ohm for travel!!

Obviously a portable amp is not ideal to drive them to perfection as my office and home rig does, you need voltage for high ohm cans...however, I've been using the iqube and it makes them sing very well.

So although I havent heard your options with the 770's, there is light in the portable range. I suggest going one that could handle an external power supply for when youre listening at home...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back