pencil fi?
Feb 28, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #376 of 460
Well thanks to this thread I just ordered a Rotring 600 .35mm and 5 packs of .35mm Rotring lead! 

Bought the pencil from jpnstationery in Japan and the lead from streetfair in Michigan, both on ebay. Can't wait to get it now, I bet the lead is gonna get here first though and it's gonna make the waiting even worse. 

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #378 of 460

my expendables + about 2-3 bunches of '80s koh-i-noor pencils that I got from my grandpa. Mostly use em for drawing classes.

sakura 125 - a decent pentel205-like $2 mech.pencil. I see no reason to buy expensive pencils atm, while cheap work same well for me and I'm not rich enough to show off in a such way :D

p.s. I also use rotring rapidograph set for drafting, but that probably applies to the pen-fi thread.

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #379 of 460
I'm still a fan of old school Pilot mechanical pencils. The translucent colourful kind (not the Shaker series, God forbid. Those things tended to shatter the lead if you shook it too hard)

Also, their shape and weight makes them easy to do pen tricks with them :D usually at lectures people would see me bending down to pick up a pen or pencil that I accidentally flung due to this nasty habit.

BTW, I think it's dumb to use the eraser on the other end of mechanical pencils. Most of the time, the eraser needs to be removed in order to refill the pencil, so why use it up? Get one of those mechanical eraser thingies instead!! I once forced a friend to buy me a new pencil for using my eraser to the point where it was flush with the plastic cup holding it :xf_mad:

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #381 of 460

Quote:
BTW, I think it's dumb to use the eraser on the other end of mechanical pencils. Most of the time, the eraser needs to be removed in order to refill the pencil, so why use it up? Get one of those mechanical eraser thingies instead!! I once forced a friend to buy me a new pencil for using my eraser to the point where it was flush with the plastic cup holding it >
frown.gif

That is why all through school and college, I never loaned out my mechanical pencils. I always kept an extra cheap pen or wood pencils in my pack to loan out so that I didn't have to worry about having my nice mechanical pencils returned with a nub where the eraser should have been or my nice pens with the clip splayed out from pushing with the thumb due to boredom :D

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #383 of 460
Ah man, I want to buy a couple of good mechanical pencils, but I have the awful habit of losing them.
If I can find something local for about $10, I think I'll try. Any suggestions on where and what to start with?

Grip and balance are pretty important. And not random 0.8mm lead...
The ones in the pictures above look nice, but I'm not sure what the lead on the thick on is and the metal one will probably not feel as good. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #384 of 460

Quote:
Ah man, I want to buy a couple of good mechanical pencils, but I have the awful habit of losing them.
If I can find something local for about $10, I think I'll try. Any suggestions on where and what to start with?

Grip and balance are pretty important. And not random 0.8mm lead...
The ones in the pictures above look nice, but I'm not sure what the lead on the thick on is and the metal one will probably not feel as good. 

For local and $10 dollar budget, you should be able to snag yourself 2-3 Pentel P-205 pencils. Solid mechanical pencils that will last a lifetime if you use them well and can be easily obtained in standard pencil thickness sizes (0.3, 0.5 and 0.7 mm). That is my budget mechanical pencil of choice. IMO Excellent balance on them, but they don't have a stellar grip. The grip is little more than some modification of the plastic that makes up the main barrel, so that may be a deal killer for you, but it's never bothered me.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #385 of 460
At present, I use Zebra Cadoozles as my disposables.

They're small, cheap and reliable. I use the black color almost exclusively.

The main reason I use Cadoozles is because they are shorter than other mechanical pencils. They lend themselves more easily to being stuffed into a pocket, and won't stab you in the leg like, say, the Pilot G-2 mechanical pencils. My question is if you guys have encountered other similarly short pencils.

May 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #387 of 460
damn you head-fi, I got a NOS rotring 600 .7mm. I usually take notes in all CAPS since it looks neater IMO. I'm required to write in CAPS anyways in my engineering classes, so might as well write CAPS as a default.

May 8, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #388 of 460
For the past 3 years I've been writing pencil-ONLY in College, I couldn't stand using pens because I solve pretty much math and I had to use a correction tape everytime I made a mistake, so I looked for an Alternative.

After testing about 10 different mechanical pencils and different leads, including those Rotring Tikky's and a sh**load of Pilot's. Every single one of them had the same problem, the pencil tended to break the leads in the chuck ring after about 2-3 months of use. The outcome was that every once in a while the pencil would start to vommit (
biggrin.gif
) little pieces of leads, and break the lead while writing. Then after a while I met my new math teacher, he had a particular pencil that looked like it was ancient! The letters on the pencil had faded, and both the lead and the pocket clip of the pencil had a rusted feeling. The pencil was really old, 4 years exactly, but It's something different in a math's teacher hands. The surprising fact about it, was that it functioned perfectly compared to those damned tikkys!

You are all wandering what that little Pencil was,huh?
biggrin.gif

It was a Pentel P207 0.7mm lead pencil. So after all this time of searching, I think that the best combo is the P207, with 2B 0.7 leads and the Pilot Eraser.

Also after reading my post it's pretty weird, maybe I'm a bit of psychotic with pencils
k701smile.gif

May 8, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #389 of 460
Staedtler drafting pencils for the win. Though, that being said I'm moving away from pencils and into pens. The reason being whenever I'm actually writing I'm doing creative work like sketching or brainstorming. They've done studies and found that, for some reason, when you erase you actually break your creative flow and it takes between 7-20 minutes to get it back where simply crossing something out does not. Act of destruction vs. act of creation, I guess.

May 10, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #390 of 460
Seconded on the Mars drafting pencils. IMO, mechanical pencils with <1mm leads are horrible to write with and the leads break all the time. 2mm leads are great because they actually feel like writing with a regular pencil, and they don't snap if you look at them funny.

I use the Mars Technico 780C. I've also used the 788C but it feels cheaper and isn't as heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back