pencil fi?
Jun 5, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #391 of 460
Old but fairly accurate shot of my arsenal. Just graduated from HS and am entering Boston University this fall. The pencils and fountain pens are my favorites, and they all saw a lot of use this semester. Picked this hobby up around December 2010. 

Edit: Just listing top-down:
Left column: Sharpie pens, Pilot Parallel Plate Calligraphy pens (can see calligraphy in top-right), Uni scented gel, Pilot Frixion .4, Pilot Furu Furu, Uni Jetstream, Uni Style-Fit triple, Uni Style-Fit single, three Zebra Clip-on Sarasa
Right column: Pilot mini fountain pen, OHTO F-Spirit fountain pen, Sailor mini fountain pen, Zebra Sharbo X, Uni Kuru Toga HG, Uni Kuru Toga w/ Alpha Gel, Uni E-Knock Eraser, two Uni Propus Window highlighters
Misc: various pencil lead grades, various refills, three pencil cases, tapes, J.Herbin glass pen, various J.Herbin inks. 

Not pictured: Pilot 14k gold fountain pen, Mont Blanc fountain pen

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #392 of 460
bumpers.

I want to buy a pencil, and my Dad said I could get one that costs ~$10. I'd be willing to add a bit of cash for one, but not much.

I'd like one for writing. I dislike the thin lead "drafting" pencils I think they're called. I write straight up and down (the pencil is straight up and down, instead of an angle, and most lead squeaks with the thin nosed pencils). I also don't like the rubber grips.

Those are the key points. I started looking, but there are just so many to look at. Also, the harder the pencil is to take apart the better. I'm all about minimizing distractions. 

Also, is there a recommended brand of wooden pencils you could recommend (must, MUST have an eraser)? A nice sharpener too. I'm not sure I'll like the mechanical pencil, and a backup would be nice.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #394 of 460
Totally trolled in Hong Kong. 

I found two Staedtlers that I bought immediately, a 925 and a 500. Both were bought for less than 60 HKD, which translates to about 9 CAD. Haven't used them yet, but they felt amazing at the store. They also look amazing. I didn't think they would be so cheap though.

I still want a fountain pen but money is an issue at the moment.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #395 of 460
bumpers.

I want to buy a pencil, and my Dad said I could get one that costs ~$10. I'd be willing to add a bit of cash for one, but not much.

I'd like one for writing. I dislike the thin lead "drafting" pencils I think they're called. I write straight up and down (the pencil is straight up and down, instead of an angle, and most lead squeaks with the thin nosed pencils). I also don't like the rubber grips.

Those are the key points. I started looking, but there are just so many to look at. Also, the harder the pencil is to take apart the better. I'm all about minimizing distractions. 

Also, is there a recommended brand of wooden pencils you could recommend (must, MUST have an eraser)? A nice sharpener too. I'm not sure I'll like the mechanical pencil, and a backup would be nice.

For wooden ones, I buy Ticonderoga black pencils in big 24 count boxes. One of the best erasers I've ever had, and they sharpen so buttery smooth compared to all the junk I have lying around elsewhere. For sharpeners, I vary from cheap hand ones, to knives, to razor blades. I have an Xacto electric one, and it doesn't sharpen the way I'd like it to, so I really hate using it unless I'm in a rush.

For mechanical in that range, Pentel Classic Deluxe. ~$14
As soon as I can find one, I'm picking up another in a 0.7mm. I love my Pentel 0.5mm mechanical pencils.

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #397 of 460

Quote:
For wooden ones, I buy Ticonderoga black pencils in big 24 count boxes. One of the best erasers I've ever had, and they sharpen so buttery smooth compared to all the junk I have lying around elsewhere. For sharpeners, I vary from cheap hand ones, to knives, to razor blades. I have an Xacto electric one, and it doesn't sharpen the way I'd like it to, so I really hate using it unless I'm in a rush.

For mechanical in that range, Pentel Classic Deluxe. ~$14
As soon as I can find one, I'm picking up another in a 0.7mm. I love my Pentel 0.5mm mechanical pencils.

I ended up getting the Pentel Sharp Kerry, but the classic is on amazon right now for 5 bucks.

I also got Mirado Black Warrior pencils. I remember getting one from a friend year (nerdy friend) and liking it. In fact, I've wanted higher quality pencils from that day on.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #401 of 460
eBay (any of the sellers from Japan, pick whichever is cheaper). The older, German-made stock is significantly more expensive than the current Japan-made pencils, but I don't find a HUGE difference between the two to justify the price increase both are well made.

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #402 of 460

Quote:

Weird. Mine says Germany on the side. You know what this means... Staedtler are whores! :D

Don't judge my recession vocation
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #404 of 460
Currently using Mitsubishi Hi-Uni HB, Faber Castell Castell 9000 3B, Tombow Mono 100 HB, Pentel Marksheet pencil HB. More than enough. I've never tried the Mars Lumograph though I can't see them being better (or at least as good) compared to what I'm using now.

Mechanical pencils... 0.3mm Kurutoga and 0.4mm Uni M4-552 FTW. Rotring is FAR TOO expensive for me.

Sep 10, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #405 of 460
Just came across these:

Graf von faber castell "The Perfect Pencil"
cool.gif

A set of these sell for roughly 600 USD, someone must be very rich to buy these.

UPDATE: the price of one pencil is 250 USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back