pencil fi?
Aug 1, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #272 of 460
It's all about the Graphgear 1000. Between that and the OHTO 1000M that I own, I think I'm pretty done with pencils (not counting my drafting needs).

And of course I would find a penci-fi thread on Head-Fi.
icon10.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #276 of 460
+1

graphgear 1000 has put me through the first two years of uni... durable as hell, feels good to write with and doesn't break lead! I'm using the 0.3mm and the only complaint i have is sometimes i cut through the paper.... oh and I can't erase away valleys in the paper

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #277 of 460
I'm getting a rotring 600 to go along with my alvin, kohninoor lead holders. Can't wait to try it out on my sketches.

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #278 of 460
I'm putting in an order for a Rotring 800 .5mm in black. They are $75 at Andrey's and I just can't stop myself. The 800 model is just like the 600 but the tip is retractable so that it won't poke a hole in your shirt pocket.

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #280 of 460
Unfortunately I left mine back at uni this weekend, but it's heavy. If you've been using regular pencils or plastic mechanicals, it will feel much too heavy. You'll get used to it, and even though it's heavier, writing essays and long responses in exams is much less tiring for my hand.

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #281 of 460
Thanks for the advice, and yes I expect I'll get to like the heft. I'm just trying to figure out which Rotring 600 auctions to look at and which to avoid; if the original make is the only "real deal" then exacting weight info should efficiently weed out the ones I don't want.

0.7/F is my everyday combo, ruling out the Rotring 800 which looks brilliant with retractable tip but limited to 0.5 and 2.0.

Using Staedtler MarsMicro by the way, which is slim, and have tried some new fancy nancy thicker pencils, but I just don't like those, ugh as a matter of fact. Looking at the Rotring, I know I've seen them IRL, and not unlikely used them as a kid. Beats me now why I've never bothered getting a real piece of pencil.

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #282 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by gspence2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm putting in an order for a Rotring 800 .5mm in black. They are $75 at Andrey's and I just can't stop myself. The 800 model is just like the 600 but the tip is retractable so that it won't poke a hole in your shirt pocket.

Did you receive the 800 yet? Verdict?

Worth mentioning that replaceable nibs for NOS 600's seem hard to come by, and suppose they must be needed if the pencil is ever dropped. Its weight distribution favours nose dives.

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #283 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by spahn_ranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Worth mentioning that replaceable nibs for NOS 600's seem hard to come by, and suppose they must be needed if the pencil is ever dropped. Its weight distribution favours nose dives.

Oh geez, tell me about it. Whenever I get sleepy in class and the pencil slips from my fingers, I have to shift away from it like a madmen so it doesn't poke a hole in my leg.
ph34r.gif

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #284 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh geez, tell me about it. Whenever I get sleepy in class and the pencil slips from my fingers, I have to shift away from it like a madmen so it doesn't poke a hole in my leg.
ph34r.gif

No holes in the leg then, none? Any broken nibs?

Damage report, please
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #285 of 460
Quote:

Originally Posted by spahn_ranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No holes in the leg then, none? Any broken nibs?

Damage report, please
evil_smiley.gif

Haha I have dropped the pencil a few times 3-4 time onto carpeted floor, and about 1-2 on tiled/hard wood floors. No damage to the nib, thankfully, but all the times I have let it drop onto my clothes, the nib has jabbed at me, so I know its hungry for blood.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back