Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Sep 7, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #2,041 of 2,804
  In feel? No. The larger versions of their pens use the 21k nibs and the smaller ones use the 14k nibs, but there is no functional difference between them other than size.

On a side note, there is no functional reason to put more than 14k of gold in a pen nib; anything more than that is just for bragging rights and value as jewelry. A 14k nib is perfectly sufficient for resisting corrosion, and is actually better than higher carat counts for flexible nibs because it is less likely to be "sprung," or permanently deformed when pressing on it. Making a nib with a very high carat count is more difficult because a higher purity of gold is naturally softer, and needs to be strengthened somehow. So you could say that the 21k Sailor nibs are impressive for that, since they do have more gold than the typical 14k or 18k pens.

I concur.
In my experience, the 14K nibs are better because they can be made flexible. Sailor has a lot of confusing models, the 1911 has a 21K nib, the 1911M has a 14K but is smaller...so now I'm wondering what to go for.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #2,042 of 2,804
I'm thinking of picking a 1911M off of Engeika pretty soon.  There is certainly a mystique around Sailor pens (kind of in the same way with Stax.)  I really wish they had cheaper distribution in North America.  The markups to buy domestically are incredible.

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #2,043 of 2,804
I love the look of the Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black edition. Unfortunately it just seems too small for my hands. Maybe I'll just get it and learn to post the cap which is something I don't ever do.

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #2,044 of 2,804
Sailor pro gear isn't my cup of tea. I find the shape is too discontinuous, the curvatures don't seem to match.

I've heard good things about the nib, and was considering getting one, but I've had my share of troubles with stiff nibs. I'm alright with stiff steel nibs on my cheaper pens, but I'm looking for a bit of feel and spring in gold nibs. I have a couple of cheaper Sailors, but I'd stick with Pilot for Gold nibs, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

PS: I'm not implying that steel nibs are stiff, and gold nibs are soft/springy. It depends on the nib construction. However, most cheap pens carry steel nibs, and are usually stiff.

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #2,045 of 2,804
I think with the cap on it does look a little unbalanced but uncapped I think it's quite smooth. There isn't a big step down like there is with a lot of pens. Of course the matte black finish and the dark nib and trim colouring really appeal to me.

My latest purchase to arrive is the Pilot Vanishing Point in matte black trim with a medium nib. I was undecisive about this pen for a long time because of the clip placement. I love it though, the convenience has made it my most used pen now.

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #2,046 of 2,804
I think with the cap on it does look a little unbalanced but uncapped I think it's quite smooth. There isn't a big step down like there is with a lot of pens. Of course the matte black finish and the dark nib and trim colouring really appeal to me.

My latest purchase to arrive is the Pilot Vanishing Point in matte black trim with a medium nib. I was undecisive about this pen for a long time because of the clip placement. I love it though, the convenience has made it my most used pen now.

As they say, either you like the VP or dislike it. There's rarely a middle.

I fall in the latter category. I like the Lamy Dialog 3 more than the VP.

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #2,047 of 2,804

As they say, either you like the VP or dislike it. There's rarely a middle.

I fall in the latter category. I like the Lamy Dialog 3 more than the VP.

I think that it is rather cool that when you extend the nib on the Lamy Dialog 3 that it sucks in the clip.  I know I'd hate to use a vanishing point due to that darn clip.  I'd be nice though if it was nib down with a Sharpie like sealing system.

On an unrelated topic, I ordered a Sailor 1911M in Ivory and gold from Engeika.  Can't wait until it comes in.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sailor-Pearl-White-Golden-Trim-14kt-MEDIUM-nib-Stylish-Business-F-P-/171054136750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d39efdae
Meanwhile, I need to find a white pimp suit and a purple and black leopard print top hat...

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #2,048 of 2,804

I think that it is rather cool that when you extend the nib on the Lamy Dialog 3 that it sucks in the clip.  I know I'd hate to use a vanishing point due to that darn clip.  I'd be nice though if it was nib down with a Sharpie like sealing system.

On an unrelated topic, I ordered a Sailor 1911M in Ivory and gold from Engeika.  Can't wait until it comes in.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sailor-Pearl-White-Golden-Trim-14kt-MEDIUM-nib-Stylish-Business-F-P-/171054136750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d39efdae
Meanwhile, I need to find a white pimp suit and a purple and black leopard print top hat...

Thats a unique color. A welcome change from the usual blacks and burgundys.

I'm eager to hear your impressions of the pen.

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #2,050 of 2,804
Its alive and well, just that this is a minority thread...

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #2,051 of 2,804
Kind a seasonal it seems. No need to worry, no need to fret, some of us still write correspondences (letters, cards & notecards) by hand. No better time than autumn to warm this thread back up!

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #2,053 of 2,804
^^
Interesting. Is it a new model? Looks like an older one.

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2,054 of 2,804
It's a 2nd gen 600 model. Quite happy with the price I got it for too. If I can find them for reasonable prices I'll probably try and grab the matching pencil and ballpoint. Maybe even the original run rotring Newton(the one that looks like the 600 sans knurling).

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #2,055 of 2,804
Nice.
I like Rotrings design. Very functional as well as futuristic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back