Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Aug 19, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #2,011 of 2,804
Quote:
beerchug.gif

The only line of ink I own, so far...

Dang, good for you! 

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #2,012 of 2,804
I generally order them from Japan, as low as $10.

There's a huge difference in the prices of Pilot/Namiki if you order from Japan vs buying them from other countries. Also, some models and nib options are only available in Japan.

If anyone's interested, PM me, I'll pass the link(s) to you.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated to any sites/vendors. 

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #2,013 of 2,804
Quote:
Not bad, indeed! Some are a bit higher - Yama-budo is ~$24. But, Yama-budo is worth far more than $24 in my opinion, a seductive color with a mysterious sheen about it. Looking over some of my other favorites in there (read as: ruing that all the pens I have with me at work currently have Edelstein in them), I do realize that some of the more fascinating and wonderful Iroshizuku inks are not necessarily the most practical. Kiri-same is, in my opinion, the color of sadness. Of longing. It's an incredibly emotive color, but not something you want to use to sign a memo. Chiku-rin is the perfect simulacrum of matcha, and fills me with the warmth of sipping tea on a spring day. I could go on, but my point is that these inks are all very evocative, in my opinion, and while they may not all be daily drivers, I think they've done well in creating some truly special colors.

Yama-Budo is my favorite as well. Out of all their offerings, that's the color you definitely can't get elsewhere.

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #2,014 of 2,804
Quote:
Yama-Budo is my favorite as well. Out of all their offerings, that's the color you definitely can't get elsewhere.

There are a few Iroshizuku you can't get in other brands.

Ku Jaku.
Syo Ro
Tsuki Yo

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #2,015 of 2,804
Quote:
I generally order them from Japan, as low as $10.

There's a huge difference in the prices of Pilot/Namiki if you order from Japan vs buying them from other countries. Also, some models and nib options are only available in Japan.

If anyone's interested, PM me, I'll pass the link(s) to you.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated to any sites/vendors. 

Are you speaking of Iroshizuku inks being shipped from Japan? What would savings look like for a bottle versus Stateside? Thanks. I'm obviously interested, so just "hit" me on the other side when time permits.

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #2,016 of 2,804
Quote:

There are a few Iroshizuku you can't get in other brands.

Ku Jaku.
Syo Ro
Tsuki Yo

True, but you can get stuff that's close enough that a casual observer wouldn't see much of a difference. But that's the thing about Iroshizuku inks; they really play a game of subtlety with their color choices. I think they've managed to beat J. Herbin at their own game in that respect.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #2,017 of 2,804
Quote:
True, but you can get stuff that's close enough that a casual observer wouldn't see much of a difference. But that's the thing about Iroshizuku inks; they really play a game of subtlety with their color choices. I think they've managed to beat J. Herbin at their own game in that respect.

Well, there will be certain likeness in colors, beyond a point they can only be compared side by side. Noodlers for instance has a lot more shades.

However, I like Iroshizuku because (a) Their bottle design is awesome. and (b) I trust their inks more than the boutique ink makers.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #2,019 of 2,804
^^
Nice

I think the Pelikan Edelstein bottles also look nice:

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #2,020 of 2,804
Quote:
Well, there will be certain likeness in colors, beyond a point they can only be compared side by side. Noodlers for instance has a lot more shades.

However, I like Iroshizuku because (a) Their bottle design is awesome. and (b) I trust their inks more than the boutique ink makers.

Point b is a good one. I have some of the more exotic Noodlers inks, which don't always flow the best, can be tricky to flush out, etc. Then I use a handful of Edelstein inks as well, safer colors and safer as far as pen compatibility. Iroshizuku tend to be the best of both worlds - gorgeous, unique colors that never give me grief.

I would say that Black Swan in Australian Roses and Yama-budo are my favorite purples, and they certainly have their similarities. Yet nothing else I know of matches the depth of Yama-budo with its sheen. 

Quote:  
I think the Pelikan Edelstein bottles also look nice:

Those bottles are very nice, and Edelstein amber is a gorgeous color.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #2,021 of 2,804
Point b is a good one. I have some of the more exotic Noodlers inks, which don't always flow the best, can be tricky to flush out, etc. Then I use a handful of Edelstein inks as well, safer colors and safer as far as pen compatibility. Iroshizuku tend to be the best of both worlds - gorgeous, unique colors that never give me grief.

I would say that Black Swan in Australian Roses and Yama-budo are my favorite purples, and they certainly have their similarities. Yet nothing else I know of matches the depth of Yama-budo with its sheen. 

Those bottles are very nice, and Edelstein amber is a gorgeous color.

The black swan ink looks pretty thick from the swab sample. Does it flow well?
Yama budo seems to be everyone's favorite, but I find it too eye popping for my taste.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #2,022 of 2,804
BSiAR is a bit on the thick side. Gives me no trouble in Pelikans (which run far too wet and broad for me, but I love them anyhow), but doesn't always do so hot in my Pilot/Namikis.

Yama-budo is quite bright on absorbent paper like cheap copy/multipurpose paper. On something like Rhodia/Clairfontaine it does have far more of an opportunity to build up a bit of a shade, and starts deepening considerably.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #2,023 of 2,804
Quote:
BSiAR is a bit on the thick side. Gives me no trouble in Pelikans (which run far too wet and broad for me, but I love them anyhow), but doesn't always do so hot in my Pilot/Namikis.

Yama-budo is quite bright on absorbent paper like cheap copy/multipurpose paper. On something like Rhodia/Clairfontaine it does have far more of an opportunity to build up a bit of a shade, and starts deepening considerably.

Another problem is the screen color. The same ink looks different on my calibrated ips monitor vs the cheap lcd monitors used in laptops. Totally different shading.

This made me wonder, Iroshizuku doesn't have any red-black-ish shades. Maybe because they go for delicate shading?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back