Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Jul 10, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #1,981 of 2,804
I use Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue as my go-to blue ink. I haven't had any problems with it, and since I don't take very comprehensive notes ink often sits in my pens for months. The DCSS is a great color; it displays lots of beautiful tones of blue so that it manages to be vibrant without being visually fatiguing.

As for Noodlers, I've tried Eel Green and Tiananmen Red. Neither of these inks have given me problems either. I don't use the red in piston fillers or demonstrators since red ink generally stains, but I have used the Eel green and had no staining issues. Furthermore, the green did not strike me as particularly dry (especially compared to Pelikan/Cross ink). I use it in my Montblanc 149 because I can't take the pen apart to apply silicon grease like I can with my Pelikans or Pilot Custom 823.

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #1,982 of 2,804
Quote:
I got the edelstein line. Its the 2012 color of the year lol

Oh..ok. I don't have any experience with that.
But generally with drier inks you need to use pens that have a slightly higher flow, i.e. pens that lay down a wetter line.

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #1,983 of 2,804
Quote:
Y-e-a-h . . . I think I'll be sticking with my Iroshizuku inks!

I know you use the Falcons with a pilot converter, so staining isn't that big an issue. However, just use caution, the Yama Budo is a bit clingy from what I've read, needs some proper flushing.

Demonstrators or piston fillers can really have issues if an ink stains. Vintage pens were made of celluloid/hard rubber, and alkaline inks can react with them sometimes, so one needs to be careful.

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #1,984 of 2,804
I flush every 4-6 weeks and use both pens with regularity. No incidents to report... yet.
ksc75smile.gif
 I also really love the fact that the converter is huge - holds lots of ink! I use to refill my Lamy every time I turned around. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #1,985 of 2,804
Quote:
I flush every 4-6 weeks and use both pens with regularity. No incidents to report... yet.
ksc75smile.gif
 I also really love the fact that the converter is huge - holds lots of ink! I use to refill my Lamy every time I turned around. 

Well, the newer pens wouldn't have that much of an issue.
Which converter do you use?

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #1,987 of 2,804
I had no idea about the Private Reserve inks. Wow. I'll probably just use the rest of my remaining ink anyway--what inks do you guys suggest? I'm looking for a slightly drier ink.

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #1,989 of 2,804
Quote:
I had no idea about the Private Reserve inks. Wow. I'll probably just use the rest of my remaining ink anyway--what inks do you guys suggest? I'm looking for a slightly drier ink.

Well, generally for inks, use ones from pen manufacturers, they're definitely safer.

I think someone here said Pelikan is dry.

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #1,991 of 2,804
Quote:

At some point, perhaps the end of the year, I'm going to try another pen purchase. Maybe same line or another make/model. But I absolutely adore my Metal Falcons.

Sure. From what I've experienced, there are plenty of brilliant pens in the vintage market. Some are known for their design, others were just good in every respect.
I've started collecting vintage pens recently, and its hard to believe they're 30-50+ years old.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,992 of 2,804
Well, generally for inks, use ones from pen manufacturers, they're definitely safer.

I think someone here said Pelikan is dry.
I'm already running low on the Private Reserve, so I'll be trying out the Pelikan soon enough. Thanks!

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #1,993 of 2,804
A search for 'tombow' doesn't yield the 414 so here it is:

The Tombow Zoom 414 - reddot design award winner, packing a pencil and your choice of 2 additional styluses in a solid thin frame. 

https://tombowusa.com/office/detail/56010

It's complete bliss if you think switching between black and red ink with ease could improve your quality of life. 

Only complaint is that Tombow somehow oops'd the manual for such a sophisticated tool.

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #1,994 of 2,804
Quote:
A search for 'tombow' doesn't yield the 414 so here it is:

The Tombow Zoom 414 - reddot design award winner, packing a pencil and your choice of 2 additional styluses in a solid thin frame. 

https://tombowusa.com/office/detail/56010

It's complete bliss if you think switching between black and red ink with ease could improve your quality of life. 

Only complaint is that Tombow somehow oops'd the manual for such a sophisticated tool.

I thought its just another of those ball point/pencil combination pens...is something special about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back