Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Mar 18, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #871 of 2,804
Quote:

Secondly, before answering you guys specifically, I need to clarify something about the bugdet. It is not that I don't have more than 60 dollars, but I wanted to try differents levels of fountain pens and a time.

Makes perfect sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luiztfc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think this one is a good deal? It's a little over the budget I thought of, but is affordable.

Pelikan M200 OB fountain pen brandnew M 200 Oblique B - eBay (item 160284992158 end time Mar-18-09 17:21:26 PDT)

That's a good price but not an outstanding price. It does have a sort of an odd nib with the OB so I would probably steer clear of it unless you know you want the oblique bold. It's also not mentioned whether it's a right or left footed oblique (but it's probably righty).

If you're intrested in the 200, see if you can save a little longer and hold out for an M250. It's the same pen with a gold nib instead of the plated steel nib of the 200 or the polished nib of the 215. While a good steel nib is better than a bad gold nib, the M250 nib is excellent and it's one of the best entry level gold nibbed pens you can buy (see also the Lamy 2000 below). The M250 is discontinued but they do pop up NIB on eBay frequently. One of the other posters here and I both have amber demonstrator M250s. That's a nice pen.

Quote:

About the Pilot Vanishing Point, a friend of mine have it and I personally think it is a little too modern for me, with this option of expose to show the nib
biggrin.gif

I'm not a huge fan of the VP, either.
wink.gif

Quote:

I didn't know that Lamy had that kind of Fountain Pen, I thought they only made that cheap models like Safari. But, as I said to Zodduska, I'm gonna change (or at least, try to) my Safari nib. And if I'm pleased with the result - I mean how it writes - then I can seriously think about it.

This one particulary is beautifull.

studio%20black.jpg

That's the Studio that I have. I bought mine with a broad nib as I didn't have any B nibs in my collection at the time and the Studio wasn't such a large investment that much would be lost if I didn't like it. While I actually like the B nib and the pen as a whole, it doesn't fit my handwriting so I don't use it much. I really should swap in the M nib that was on my Vista before I put an italic nib on it so that I can use the Studio more.

Take a look at the Lamy 2000 just for your own edification. It's an iconic pen but with a couple of oddities: the nibs run wide and it has little ears to hold on the cap that can interfere with your grip. The 2000 is one of my everyday pens. It has a huge ink reservoir, always writes and never leaks. It does have a gold nib which explains some of the jump in price but it really is an excellent value if purchased for under US$100.

On another note, please be sure to try the MB 149 or Pelikan M1000 before buying. They're HUGE and not really practical for regular use. I sold my 149 a number of years ago and the largest Pelikan in my collection is an M600.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #872 of 2,804
You're welcome luiztfc. I second leftnose's advice and doubly so for the M250, though I have no doubts the M200 is also a fine choice if you don't want to stretch your budget even further.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #873 of 2,804
I just looked through my records out of curiosity and I paid US$75 + shipping for my NIB M250 in April of last year.

I think I got a good deal
tongue.gif
but it does mean that, if you look around, the M250 really isn't all that far outside your budget.

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #874 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendemonium
Hi,

Appreciate your order for the Legal Lapis ink, thank you. This item is out of stock, hopefully we'll have some more in about 30 - 60 days. If you wish, we can email you when the ink has arrived.

I guess I was too slow.
redface.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #877 of 2,804
Nice find!

On another note, a second thing I just noticed: Richard Binder is now selling a bunch more pens. I've been thinking about an Aurora 88 for a long time and I might just bite the bullet now that I can easily get one with a Binder nib!

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #878 of 2,804
I am really interested in hearing your impression. I am thinking about sending one of mine in to him for some work.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #879 of 2,804
You can meet Richard and see his work at the Long Island Pen show this weekend in Hempstead. Depending on where in Jersey you are from, it may be a doable drive.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #880 of 2,804
Yeah, I am trying to decide if I want to head out that way twice this weekend as I will be in Queens for the meet on Saturday and maybe the show on Sunday.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #881 of 2,804
vinyl,

If I do pick one up, I'll let you know. It'll probably be after the Chicago Pen Show (May 1-3) because I want to pick an 88 up to judge its size. Even though I have big hands, I have trouble with pens that have large nibs because I use a relatively low grip and I want to be sure I'd be able to use it.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #882 of 2,804
The nib unit I use in my VP is from Richard, a .9mm cursive italic, the precision and refinement of the line this tiny nib lays down is truly astounding.. none of my factory nibs even come close. I highly recommend getting at least one pen Binderized!

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #883 of 2,804
Attended the Atlanta Pen Show today. I got a couple fountain pens (a 1943 Esterbrook w/ med nib and (another) Lamy Safari w/fine nib), a nice leather roll-up five-pen holder, some Rhodia quad note pads, and a few bottles of ink.

I also got one of my pens adjusted--and reground--by this guy who really knew what he was doing (IMO, within my limited knowledge, of course).

People were very helpful and friendly and forthcoming with helpful information.

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #884 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Attended the Atlanta Pen Show today. I got a couple fountain pens (a 1943 Esterbrook w/ med nib and (another) Lamy Safari w/fine nib), a nice leather roll-up five-pen holder, some Rhodia quad note pads, and a few bottles of ink.

I also got one of my pens adjusted--and reground--by this guy who really knew what he was doing (IMO, within my limited knowledge, of course).

People were very helpful and friendly and forthcoming with helpful information.

they have pen shows? wow...you learn something new everyday

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #885 of 2,804
anyone into Parker these days?

i used to collect all of their vector series....and then got some reflex also

now i have this Mont Blanc starwalker at home....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back