Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Mar 22, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #886 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they have pen shows? wow...you learn something new everyday

Oh yeah. They're about a hundred times more hazardous to your wallet than a Head-Fi meet, too. At our meets, you might come away lusting after a piece or two of gear. Pen shows have, literally, thousands of temptations priced and negotiable.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #887 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah. They're about a hundred times more hazardous to your wallet than a Head-Fi meet, too. At our meets, you might come away lusting after a piece or two of gear. Pen shows have, literally, thousands of temptations priced and negotiable.

Haha I need to stay away from those
ph34r.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #888 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Attended the Atlanta Pen Show today. I got a couple fountain pens (a 1943 Esterbrook w/ med nib and (another) Lamy Safari w/fine nib), a nice leather roll-up five-pen holder, some Rhodia quad note pads, and a few bottles of ink.

I also got one of my pens adjusted--and reground--by this guy who really knew what he was doing (IMO, within my limited knowledge, of course).

People were very helpful and friendly and forthcoming with helpful information.

Sounds like you had a good time, nice acquisitions!
regular_smile .gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #890 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picked up a rotring newton (new style) M nib. Very nice-- slight bit of nib creep though.

What ink are you using? Nib creep is generally more a function of the ink than the pen. Noodler's inks are infamous for bad nib creep.

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #892 of 2,804
Yeah, I seem toget a lot of "nib creep" with the Private reserve DC supershow blue. Plus, it seems to feather as well. Most of my pens have nice, wet nibs on their own. It is a wonderful color, it just feathers like mad - even with my fine wahl-eversharp. The only pen it seems to be fine with is my Waterman's Taperite Crusader with the fine nib and filled only halfway. Anything more and I start to run into issues with this ink.

The levenger ink (Gemstone Green) writes wonderfully and has none of these problems...so it must be the ink. Mixing the two brands have met woth good results and beautiful colors. Would it be advisable to "dry-out" the ink a bit to fix some of this?

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #893 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would it be advisable to "dry-out" the ink a bit to fix some of this?

If by dry out, you mean leave the cap off the bottle for X amount of time, then no, it's not advisable.

By evaporating some of the solvent used in ink, especially a high saturation ink like PR Supershow, you will probably get a precipitate of the pigments and other particles that are normally suspended. Pull this precipitate into a pen during a fill, and you could/probably will get some clogging issues.

If you like PR Supershow, give Visconti Blue a try. It's not as deep/saturated but it still has a modern feel (ie, not Waterman Florida Blue or Pelikan Blue) to it and it behaves wonderfully. I also use PR American Blue and, while I haven't had it in a pen for while, I don't recall any of the severe issues you describe other than a typical PR long dry time. It's very similar to Supershow except the intensity is turned down half a notch.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #894 of 2,804
Any more recommendations for ink brands that don't creep? I'm starting to have a tough time with Noodler's. My everyday pen has gone from a Parker 51 to a Sheaffer Legacy Touchdown. Nib creep isn't that big of a deal with a 51, but the Legacy has an inlaid nib that extends down to the grip. When the ink creeps, it runs down the grooves of the inlay, right to where I hold the pen. I keep winding up with inky fingers.
frown.gif
I love the Legacy and Noodler's Blue, but they're not a good combination.

I've got a bottle of Diamine blue in my desk. I'm going to clean out the Legacy and refill shortly with that, but I wanted to see if anyone here could recommend a brand that doesn't creep. I don't like inks that feather and I need to use a blue ink so originals can be told apart from photocopies. Any recommendations would be welcome.

May 14, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #897 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pencils in metal bodies

I am having real problems finding pens in the same style thin metal bodies

Just preference
tongue.gif

The Rotring 600 series also had pens in the same "new" style.

May 25, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #898 of 2,804
i'm looking for a good set of pens, anyone have any recommendations? just your typical writing pens, nothing fancy. BIC is fine, any favs? i mean theres like rollerballs, grip, super grip and all sorts of stuff...any suggestions?

thanks

May 25, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #899 of 2,804
I like the Pilot G2 for disposable pens, Dr Grip is nice if you want to spend a few bucks more and it takes the G2 refills.

May 25, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #900 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm looking for a good set of pens, anyone have any recommendations? just your typical writing pens, nothing fancy. BIC is fine, any favs? i mean theres like rollerballs, grip, super grip and all sorts of stuff...any suggestions?

thanks

Though I carry a fountain 99% of the time, I've always loved the Parker Jotter. They're a cut above the average disposable. At $4.25 the price is good, or you can get a pack of ten for $28.24. Refills are available in a variety of sizes, colors and types of ink, too.

Another pen I've loved is the Fisher Space Pen. Very cool, well made and it really will write upside down, under water, etc.

If you're curious about fountains, keep an eye on Parker 51 aerometric fillers on eBay. They rarely need repair and are one of the finest writers available. You can find common colors (gray, black) with stainless caps for $20-$40. Not cheap, but keep in mind that one will literally last a lifetime with modest care and you'll save money by buying bottled ink instead of disposables or refills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back