Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Jan 29, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #211 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I do not gave it yet, it seems that it may be from the 40's-early 50's or so.

I'm quite excited! time to go ink shopping!

What ink are you planning on using with it? There's a good "guide" over at FPN for P51s (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...howtopic=22427) I think the general idea is not to use inks that are permanent, scented, waterproof or very saturated so as to prolong the life of the life of the pen and not have to clean it out very often. This is especially true for valuable/collectable ones. I think I'm going to stick to basic ones like Visconti Royal Blue, Pelikan Brilliant Black, Waterman Florida Blue and Mont Blanc Black. I think I might get myself a bottle of Noodlers Ottoman Azure since it looks pretty nice. Might also grab one of those Aurora Blacks and experiment with some Noodlers.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #212 of 2,804
I've been tempted to buy myself a nice mont blanc fountain pen like the W.A. Mozart several times over the past year, but I can't find a good place to buy them. Can someone recommend a good place to by them online?

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #213 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt fury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, sounds like a helluva day. What pen store was it?

Bertram's Inkwell. They have a "clearance" case in the store that sometimes shows up with some incredible pens.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #214 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been tempted to buy myself a nice mont blanc fountain pen like the W.A. Mozart several times over the past year, but I can't find a good place to buy them. Can someone recommend a good place to by them online?

Yet another reason some FP fans are prone to disliking Montblanc: technically MB does not allow authorized retailers to sell MBs on the internet. Don't get me wrong, they do, but they make you jump through a couple of hoops to get a price quote (usually just giving them your email address so they can mail it to you or call them). Having said that you could give www.worldlux.com a shot. Best bet might be going into a b&m mb boutique though, if there is one in your area.

I don't want anyone to think I do not like Montblanc pens, because I really do. I think their LEs are, frankly, some of the most beautiful things I have ever seen in my entire life.
tongue.gif
I don't really have the cash to go around buying MB LEs, but I did buy a small book/catalog for $20 on eBay that has pictures and production numbers of all their LEs since 1994.
tongue.gif
It'll have to do for now.
tongue.gif

As to the what ink to use in 51 vac questions, its a point of debate over at FPN. Almost everyone agrees that Waterman Florida Blue and Waterman Blue-Black are great inks, safe for any pen, and IMO they are beautiful as well. Some folks say, however, that Waterman inks begin to fade or lose their color after just several years on paper, which is disheartening. So I just use Waterman for everyday note taking and work purposes. My favorite permanent ink is still good old Noodlers Black, though I also love Noodlers Legal Lapis. But I also love the rich, super saturation of PR blues. Mmmmm...
icon10.gif

Collecting inks is as bad as collecting pens!!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #215 of 2,804
Best place to buy a new MB is Fountain Pen Hospital. They don't advertise their MB prices, but if you call them they'll give you their price, which I believe is about 10% off retail. Something around their. Not a tremendously good deal, but the best you'll find.

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #216 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As to the what ink to use in 51 vac questions, its a point of debate over at FPN. Almost everyone agrees that Waterman Florida Blue and Waterman Blue-Black are great inks, safe for any pen, and IMO they are beautiful as well. Some folks say, however, that Waterman inks begin to fade or lose their color after just several years on paper, which is disheartening. So I just use Waterman for everyday note taking and work purposes. My favorite permanent ink is still good old Noodlers Black, though I also love Noodlers Legal Lapis. But I also love the rich, super saturation of PR blues. Mmmmm...
icon10.gif

For what it's worth, I've successfully used Aurora Black and Noodler's Manhattan Blue (another one of my favorite dark blues) in a Parker 51. No problems there, but results seem to vary according to FPN. Certain pens are pickier than others
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #217 of 2,804
you know, this weekend i had to totally scour my place for all our pens and markers, since my kid found one on sunday and went to TOWN on our furniture (Thank You, Magic Eraser! Amazingly it got everything off!).

Imagine my shock when we filled a shoebox to the brim with all these crappy pens and mechanical pencils and sharpies and No2s and the like. I think my goal this week will be to whittle away at the stash and only keep the working stuff, and then see where to go from there. What fun!

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #218 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwchin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it's worth, I've successfully used Aurora Black and Noodler's Manhattan Blue (another one of my favorite dark blues) in a Parker 51. No problems there, but results seem to vary according to FPN. Certain pens are pickier than others
biggrin.gif

This is true, different pens even of the same model can vary wildly as to what ink they like. I have used Noodlers Legal Lapis in my aerometrics with great success.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #220 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up some Waterman blue/black last night for my new 51, as well as a few goodies, that I'll post once they arrive.
smily_headphones1.gif

I really like Waterman's take on the blue/black. Much more blue then Noodlers Blue/Black. Personally I have to own both of them though.
icon10.gif

Inks I've recently ordered are Noodlers Lexington Grey and Noodlers Zhivago, two of the "bulletproof" inks. I've never written with a grey ink before, not sure if I'll like it or not. I also ordered some of the Noodlers "American Eel" inks, which supposedly lubricate piston filling pens like Pelikans.

I recently bought a Pelikan M760 from 1988, and that piston needs some lubrication!! It screeches up the side of the pen, I probably shouldn't even be turning it. I ordered some 100% silicon lubricant along with the inks above. After I get it moving good again I'm going to fill it with some of the American Eel inks to see how they work out.

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #221 of 2,804
So I'm browsing eBay looking for used Mont Blancs (yes, I've heard the warnings), and I find a seller selling a "new" Meisterstuck 146 *LINK*

Giddy, I sent a message asking if there was a reserve price and so forth. After a response, there was a no on the reserve price. I also asked for some close-up pictures, and got these:

p1270001xu5.jpg

p1270002nc7.jpg

p1270004vg8.jpg

p1270006gg4.jpg

p1270011og8.jpg

p1270014kg9.jpg

p1270018an6.jpg

p1270021sw6.jpg

p1270023mb1.jpg

p1270024zn3.jpg

I already put in a bid, so if I win and if it is indeed a fake, then I'm stuck with it. Perhaps I'll never figure out if it is an impostor (maybe take it to the closest MB dealer around and ask =) But anyway, what do you guys think? Anyone spot a tell-tale sign of forgery?

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #222 of 2,804
I see no telltale signs of a fake. Most fakes you'll find on eBay are blatant and wouldn't fool anyone. Judging from the guys past auctions also, I'd bet you're ok. Pay with PayPal to cover your ass if you're worried.

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #223 of 2,804
Looks real to me too. Still think the platinum trim ones look much nicer
wink.gif
Am I right in saying that the 145 was the replacement for the 146? Does anyone know what changed?

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #224 of 2,804
OMG, my P51 arrived! It's gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! Will post pictures and specs later... filled it up with Visconti Blue right away and wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back