Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Jan 28, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #196 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwchin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What price point are you looking for? I have several pens with extra fine nibs that can give a line close to that of a 0.5mm pencil. The Lamys in particular have great extra fine nibs, I think. The Lamy Vista/Safari/Al-Stars with extra fine nibs that I have can do it for under $25 (a great daily wear-and-tear pen). As long as you use a quality extra fine nib with a good, smooth ink that doesn't feather, you can get a line that comes quite close to the 0.5mm pencil.

as long as it is cheaper the e4's I'll be happy.

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #197 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as long as it is cheaper the e4's I'll be happy.

The Lamy Studio with extra fine nib is very nice. For a pen that's as narrow as a mechanical pencil, I also like the Lamy st with extra fine nib. These are available under $100. As you can tell, I love Lamy
tongue.gif

I'd also highly recommend the Namiki/Pilot Vanishing Point pens. Their fine nibs are close to extra fine, and they have a retractable mechanism. I have seen ones that are upwards of $200, but there are very nice models for around $100-120.

As far as inks, my personal favorite black ink is Aurora black. No feathering at all, and it's great with an extra fine nib. Noodler's inks are also a solid choice (waterproof, too) as are Private Reserve inks. In fact, Private Reserve Midnight Blues is one of my favorite navy inks, and they have a nice bright American Blue too.

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #198 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwchin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Lamy Studio with extra fine nib is very nice. For a pen that's as narrow as a mechanical pencil, I also like the Lamy st with extra fine nib. These are available under $100. As you can tell, I love Lamy
tongue.gif

I'd also high recommend the Namiki/Pilot Vanishing Point pens. Their fine nibs are close to extra fine, and they have a retractable mechanism. I have seen ones that are upwards of $200, but there are very models for around $100-120.

As far as inks, my personal favorite black ink is Aurora black. No feathering at all, and it's great with an extra fine nib. Noodler's inks are also a solid choice (waterproof, too) as are Private Reserve inks. In fact, Private Reserve Midnight Blues is one of my favorite navy inks, and they have a nice bright American Blue too.

I like Lamys too. The Lamy Studio is such an amazing looking pen. I used to have the Lamy Studio Palladium finish, but I sold it because it had a broad sharp italic on it I couldn't write with. I'm looking to getting one of the less expensive Studios, either in the blue or black.

A second vote for the Namiki/Pilot Vanishing Point. A really, really fantastic pen if the clip doesn't drive you crazy. The clip drove me nuts for a while, but then I realized I've been holding my pen incorrectly since I was a kid, and the Pilot clip actually made me start gripping all my pens properly. I have an M nib which is more like an Western F nib.

If you do buy a VP, its a good idea to buy one from Richard Binder at www.richardspens.com. He'll test the pen for you and make sure the nib is okay, and if it isn't he is a nibmeister so he can tune it for optimum flow.

Some of my favorite inks are Private Reserve American Blue, Noodlers Black, Noodlers Ottoman Azure, Noodlers Blue-Black, Waterman Blue Black, and Waterman Florida Blue. I pretty much only write with blues and blacks, though I do own bottles of ink in other colors.

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #200 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAMNIT!! I killed my wallet: went all out on this auction http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...m=140077346618

So freakin' beautiful! I'm so proud of my sniping skills. 25 seconds-put in bid -> 10 seconds left put in max...

That is a beautiful 51! Seller knows what they are talking about as well, which is always a good sign. Be sure to tell us how you like the way it writes.
cool.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #201 of 2,804
Jan 28, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #202 of 2,804
Meh, you guys are too rich for my blood.

I build my own pens...

penspin001done.jpg

penspin002done.jpg

penspin003done.jpg

penspin004done.jpg

And a little bit of me in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl6_pwuN82E

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
It's always nice to juxtapose a cheap hobby next to an expensive one!

Jan 28, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #204 of 2,804
Gorgeous. Do you know when it was made?? Terrific price too (1/3 of what I paid for a similar pen just now on eBay.co.uk: Q3 1942 P51 Vac, Blue Diamond, Cordovan Brown, 1/10 16k GF cap, 14k F nib)!

Jan 28, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #205 of 2,804
I had a good day yesterday. Walked into a pen shop and they had some great pens at fire sale pricing. I walked out with a Visconti Van Gogh Maxi, Conklin Word Gauge LE (sterling trim), and Conway Stewart Trafalgar Bicentennial Commemorative Edition. That and a Conklin Rollerball all for less than the list price of the Trafalgar. Pics later when I get a chance.

Jan 28, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #206 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a good day yesterday. Walked into a pen shop and they had some great pens at fire sale pricing. I walked out with a Visconti Van Gogh Maxi, Conklin Word Gauge LE (sterling trim), and Conway Stewart Trafalgar Bicentennial Commemorative Edition. That and a Conklin Rollerball all for less than the list price of the Trafalgar. Pics later when I get a chance.

Wow, sounds like a helluva day. What pen store was it?

Jan 29, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #207 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh, you guys are too rich for my blood.

I build my own pens...

*photos*

And a little bit of me in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl6_pwuN82E

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
It's always nice to juxtapose a cheap hobby next to an expensive one!

Oh do tell how you do that. I can only do the regular twirl around the thumb + jumping the pen from finger to finger.
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #208 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gorgeous. Do you know when it was made?? Terrific price too (1/3 of what I paid for a similar pen just now on eBay.co.uk: Q3 1942 P51 Vac, Blue Diamond, Cordovan Brown, 1/10 16k GF cap, 14k F nib)!

I don't know when it was made, but hopefully I'll have it this week. I liked it because he says it in great condition, and it recently had the diaphragm replaced on it, so hopefully I wont have to worry about for a few years to come.

I have some researching to do on the 51 in general.

any idea on some kind of relatively cheap sleeve I could get to keep it in when not in use?

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #209 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh do tell how you do that. I can only do the regular twirl around the thumb + jumping the pen from finger to finger.
wink.gif

That's cool. Their official names are Thumbaround and Sonic
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

It takes a lot of practice plus a lot of help from various members of a pen spinning forum I am part of. Pen spinning seems like one of those things you do when you're bored and you just kind of pick up...nah, it's a lifestyle. We basically eat and breathe pens - I could easily name all the consumer pens anyone in any class is using at any given time.

Yes, we're nerds
wink.gif

If you seriously want to learn more and be sucked into this little pen spinning world of ours, check out the UCPSB. It has a lot of resources and some very skilled spinners to help you out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back