Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Jul 15, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #2,491 of 2,804
Fisher's satin finished military clicker with space pen insert. Along with a Rite in the Rain pad.  Served me well for a many a deployments.

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #2,492 of 2,804
For those of us who love to write, pix on the way?
popcorn.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #2,496 of 2,804
A friend picked up a Pilot Prera <M> for me while in Japan — I'm absolutely loving this thing. Still getting the hang of using the converter (piston converter), but the Pilot Iroshizuku ink is great! Wish I could get a slightly more generous ink flow though. The width of the pen is perfect, but a slightly darker line... maybe I'll just try a darker ink next. Regardless, this pen is a great introduction to the world of Pen-Fi (because I need more money-draining interests)!

-M

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #2,498 of 2,804
  A friend picked up a Pilot Prera <M> for me while in Japan — I'm absolutely loving this thing. Still getting the hang of using the converter (piston converter), but the Pilot Iroshizuku ink is great! Wish I could get a slightly more generous ink flow though. The width of the pen is perfect, but a slightly darker line... maybe I'll just try a darker ink next. Regardless, this pen is a great introduction to the world of Pen-Fi (because I need more money-draining interests)!

-M

Try gently pressing on the nib so the tines spread a little further apart, that should give you a bit more ink flow. Pilot pens are indeed a great introduction to pen-fi. :)

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #2,499 of 2,804

-M

You're hooked now!  The Prera is a great pen to start with, too.

There are actually a couple of ways to increase the ink flow from a fountain pen, making it write a bit wetter, however they involve a little surgery, so trying out another ink may be the best place to start.  The Prera is a pretty nice pen (I love the white one!), so you may want to try this out on a junk pen first, just in case (grab a pack of pilot Varsities to practice on maybe).  My rule of thumb is that if I can't afford to break the pen (either it's too expensive or it's a friend's/customer's) then don't mess with it too much!

Check out Stephen Brown's videos, he shows you a couple of different ways to increase the flow.  There are a few different videos in his uploads about making a pen write wetter.  I like the brass shim method, because I'm scared of bending the nib too much using my fingers.

Anyway, good luck and let us know the result!!

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2,500 of 2,804
Originally Posted by Ancenstry.com

11. Writing With a Fountain Pen
While it’s true that your grandparents were skilled in the lost art of writing in cursive, your grandparents probably were, too. However, the invention of the ballpoint pen in the late 1930s and other advances in pen technology mean that your great-grandparents were the last generation who had to refill their pens with ink.

Found an article on Ancestry.com listing "11 Skills Your Great-Grandparents Had That You Don't".  This was the last one on their list.  Obviously they don't spend enough time at Pen-Fi...

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #2,502 of 2,804
I've had my EF Lamy 2000 for a week or two now and I'm a little disappointed in it. I find my EF Lamy Safari waaaay nicer to write with. I find the 2000 doesn't put ink down on certain strokes and is a little scratchy. The pen was checked by gouletpens.com (great guys and service) before being shipped to me, so I'm left here thinking it's just me. I'm guessing that it might be because I didn't clean the 2000 properly before filling it, or I'm just not used to writing with it. 

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #2,503 of 2,804
  I've had my EF Lamy 2000 for a week or two now and I'm a little disappointed in it. I find my EF Lamy Safari waaaay nicer to write with. I find the 2000 doesn't put ink down on certain strokes and is a little scratchy. The pen was checked by gouletpens.com (great guys and service) before being shipped to me, so I'm left here thinking it's just me. I'm guessing that it might be because I didn't clean the 2000 properly before filling it, or I'm just not used to writing with it. 

The metal Lamy 2000 is gorgeous, never tried one myself though.

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #2,504 of 2,804

Definitely clean it. Out of the factory there's usually a little blue residue from their testing. Likewise gouletpens would have dipped and tested it (hopefully). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back