Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Feb 14, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #2,431 of 2,804
Anyone tried writing with a brush pen?

Seems like fun, saw a couple of videos on Youtube.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #2,433 of 2,804

Well, I am using Waterman's "Havana Brown" ink: It is very smooth and of ritch colour but takes some time to dry...

Luckily I have a Lamy AL-Star (broad nib) in coffee brown finish what makes a great match to the ink.

Havana Brown, or whatever they call it now, is my absolute favorite ink.  I always end up reaching for that bottle over all the others!

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #2,434 of 2,804
No favourites for me...but I do prefer shading inks.

Tried a brush pen the other day. I got one with ink to try. Liked it so much that I got another with a smaller tip, but this one needs to be filled with ink (can use fp ink :)).

I found brush pens are quite cool if you just want to doodle and draw. Writing needs more control but brush-writing looks quite unique.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #2,435 of 2,804
Can't wait to try the brush thing. Maybe something fine. Maybe something purple. Though, there is always black and that will always delight.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #2,436 of 2,804
No favourites for me...but I do prefer shading inks.

Tried a brush pen the other day. I got one with ink to try. Liked it so much that I got another with a smaller tip, but this one needs to be filled with ink (can use fp ink
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I found brush pens are quite cool if you just want to doodle and draw. Writing needs more control but brush-writing looks quite unique.

Brush pens are something that I've always wanted to try.  Did you get the Noodler's one?  For some reason I feel like it'll be more like painting than writing, or is the brush quite stiff?  Can you write something in reasonably small letters?

A bit late, but below are some pictures of my main Philly pen show purchase, a Lamy 2000.  It's a pen that's been on my list for a while now and I can't believe it's taken me this long to pick one up.  I've had it for about a month now and I'm smitten with it!  Gorgeous pen and definitely in the permanent rotation now. 

I went with the black one (or 'Makrolon' which just makes it seem even cooler) over the stainless steel one.  Mainly because of price because the SS one is double the price, but I also like the black/silver look.  Really sleek design, nice springy clip, great 'clipping' cap, and really smooth piston filling system.

The nib is semi-hooded, 14kt gold (platinum coated), and I went with an oblique medium.

One of the reasons I was hesitant getting a 2k was I had read some negative reviews of the nib.  Some people love it, some people aren't happy with it, so I wanted to make sure I tested it before buying, hence buying a new pen at a pen show, which I had never done before (you can typically find better prices for new pens online, so I save the pen shows for vintage).

I gotta say, I'm sorry that I waited.  The nib is great, no scratchiness at all.  Really juicy wet too, which is why I went with the M and not the B.  I think the B would just pour ink out of it.  The OB nib doesn't give too much line variation to my normal writing, but is really easy to write with and seems to have a large, sweet 'angle', compared to other OB's I've tried.

Can you tell I love it??  Seriously, nothing bad to say!  If you're looking for a fountain pen around the $100 mark and have a few extra to spend, get one!

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #2,437 of 2,804
  Anyone tried writing with a brush pen?

Seems like fun, saw a couple of videos on Youtube.

Not tried a brush pen, but I dabbled in chinese brush caligraphy(my dad saw me writing with fountain pens and said if I liked that I should try his brushes). It's hard. Totally different mindset to using a fountain pen.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #2,439 of 2,804
@brim71 I really like the lamy 2k pics with the piano :wink: 

I'm still hesitant on getting the 2k, I'm not sure if I'll like it or not be honest. I was actually thinking about saving up for a Pilot Custom 823 or 74 in the future. But a part of me still wants to give the Lamy a try :p 

I have pretty small handwriting, so it'll have to be an extra fine if I do get one (hence my preference towards japanese nibs)

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #2,440 of 2,804

I went with the black one (or 'Makrolon' which just makes it seem even cooler) over the stainless steel one.  Mainly because of price because the SS one is double the price, but I also like the black/silver look.  Really sleek design, nice springy clip, great 'clipping' cap, and really smooth piston filling system.

Congrats on that one, great pen (and solid pictures!). The makrolon version is also just much... warmer and more engaging than the stainless, in my opinion. Plus, the makrolon is the classic material for the 2k. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #2,441 of 2,804
  @brim71 I really like the lamy 2k pics with the piano :wink: 

I'm still hesitant on getting the 2k, I'm not sure if I'll like it or not be honest. I was actually thinking about saving up for a Pilot Custom 823 or 74 in the future. But a part of me still wants to give the Lamy a try :p 

I have pretty small handwriting, so it'll have to be an extra fine if I do get one (hence my preference towards japanese nibs)

If there is a place where you can try the 2k out I'd definitely give it a shot.  It's what I would call a writer's pen, because it's so comfortable in the hand, well... my hand anyway.  And yes, if you like Japanese nibs, get the EF.  The EF 2k I tested wrote like a normal F.

I like the Pilot Customs too, nice choices!  They seem to be writer's pens as well.  I like the integrated plunger filling system of the 823, but it's also quite a bit more money.  If you go with the Pilot, get it from Richard Binder, though.  He'll make sure to tune up the nib before he ships.

@brhfl Thanks!  I'm happy with the black decision too.  I have to admit that the SS version was really tempting.  It's a sexy pen and I was surprised by how much heavier it was than the makrolon.  There were a couple drawbacks, though (no ink window, expensive), and I was worried about it being slick while writing because my hands tend to sweat when writing for a while.  Anyway.. I'm happy!

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #2,443 of 2,804
The 2000 is a pen made by dreamers, in the 60s and 70s when 'space' and 'the future' were hot topics in writing and discussion. Futuristic material, streamlined shape.

No wonder its still popular among FP enthusiasts.

I have the black in EF, but whenever I see the SS I feel like getting it too.

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #2,444 of 2,804
  If there is a place where you can try the 2k out I'd definitely give it a shot.  It's what I would call a writer's pen, because it's so comfortable in the hand, well... my hand anyway.  And yes, if you like Japanese nibs, get the EF.  The EF 2k I tested wrote like a normal F.

As long as you can deal with the metal ears...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back