Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Feb 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #1,456 of 2,804
Just ordered this from Peyton Street Pens!

I have wanted one for years. My teacher had one and I was having difficulties writing with ball points so he lent me his fountain pen. My handwriting improved almost immediately so I ended up being given a Parker to use (this one was an expensive pen at the time, far too good for a seven year old!).

This is NOS and from Peytons seconds, the only mark on it is a slight cap mark on the section though, other wise the 12k gold fill is in as new condition, even has the original sticker in place. I went for the medium 14k nib as the vintage Sheaffers ran a little smaller in their nib sizes so this one will write like a fine. Comes with the squeeze filler as well so no need for cartridges which I can't abide!

Oh yes, it's a Sheaffer Imperial 777!

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #1,457 of 2,804
I also use and like the Koh I noor lead holder. Rotring makes a nice one as well in the 600 and 800 series. This is for the 2mm leads... 

There are others for the 5.6mm leads - but I don't use those much. The David Hayward Scribbler 3 comes to mind. 

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #1,458 of 2,804

Quote:
I also use and like the Koh I noor lead holder. Rotring makes a nice one as well in the 600 and 800 series. This is for the 2mm leads... 

There are others for the 5.6mm leads - but I don't use those much. The David Hayward Scribbler 3 comes to mind. 

The 5.6mm David Hayward looks like it might be the perfect option, thanks!

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #1,459 of 2,804
My new sheaffer arrived today. Brand new but made in the 1970's! Also, Terri from Peyton street pens included as a gift a Hero 616 fountain pen which writes really well as well.

I love the Sheaffer! Such a perfect pen for me.
Here are so quick pictures!

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #1,460 of 2,804
@ianmedium
That's a good looking pen! It's even more amazing that it's NOS, though I suppose that's more common with items such as fountain pens.

I burned through too many Pilot rollerballs, so I decided to buy a pen that I could refill with bottled ink.
The pen is a Pilot Prera. It writes well; I feel as if I have more control compared to the Pilot RB's I was using before.

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #1,462 of 2,804
Planar. Thank you and that is a great looking pilot you have. Great writing pens in my experience and great bang for buck!
Yeah, it is amazing how many NOS pens there are out there and they often represent incredible value as older nibs tend to be much nicer writers in my experience. Hard to beat a gold filled classic fountain pen for $75! And for reference gold filled is not like gold plate it is actually a thin sheet of gold fused to a base metal and usually comes with a hallmark.

To give you an idea of how thick the fill is take a look at the end of the cap of this pen, quite substantial amount of gold used!

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #1,464 of 2,804
I have three F Pilot vanishing points, 2 chrome and 1 stealth black

thinking of selling the 2 chromes though and getting one of the stipula passaportos  and a twisbi, and just having some beer money :p

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #1,466 of 2,804

Quote:
Just purchased a rotring 600, can't wait to get it!

Great decision!
beerchug.gif

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #1,467 of 2,804
Without me perusing 98 pages :)...can anyone recommend a decent pen...mainly for signing checks at work, hate the crappy standard office pens we have - and need something that:

writes smoothly
not too light, nice weight balance
not too thin (so something like a cross, the slimline ones, would be out; this is what I use now)
not a fountain pen
not gold colour; preferably silver, black, blue or green
from $40 up to say $100, maybe a little more, half-decent quality

Thanks

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #1,468 of 2,804

Quote:
Without me perusing 98 pages :)...can anyone recommend a decent pen...mainly for signing checks at work, hate the crappy standard office pens we have - and need something that:

writes smoothly
not too light, nice weight balance
not too thin (so something like a cross, the slimline ones, would be out; this is what I use now)
not a fountain pen
not gold colour; preferably silver, black, blue or green
from $40 up to say $100, maybe a little more, half-decent quality

Thanks

Most people say, rollerball pens are reasonably smoother than ballpoints, so you might prefer those. I don't have problems with ballpoints though....
Pelikan Tradition Series 215
Faber-Castell E-motion/Ambition/Basic
Lamy 2000 might be a bit light, but a great pen (I have a fountain pen)
Lamy Studio
Rotring Rapid Pro(?)
Fisher Space pens maybe.....
You can find Rotring 600 pens for around $100 as well. I love mine.
There's a lot to choose from...

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #1,469 of 2,804
To be honest anything over the price of a Parker Jotter at $7 is an absolute waste of money as pretty much every ball point or roller ball refill will work the same regardless of cost. And it is the refill that does the writing.

The jotter is a design icon, can be had in all steel so nice and weight or in metal/plastic combo and looks smart. Buying a Roller Ball or ball point from say Mont Blanc makes no sense to me. However, a fountain pen is a very different thing as their nibs are wonderful.

Here is a link to the Jotter.
http://www.staples.com/Parker-Jotter-Ballpoint-Retractable-Pen-Medium-Black-Assorted-Barrel-Each/product_167221?ddkey=http:StaplesZipCodeAdd

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #1,470 of 2,804
I used to love my parker jotter ballpen as a kid until I moved to HK and found  the Zebra  F-301 ballpen.

The zebra f-301 is truely a great funtional ballpen :)

As for gel pens uni-ball signo micro 207 is one of the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back