PDA suggestions please!
May 17, 2003 at 3:50 PM Post #16 of 58
I've been pretty pleased with Handspring. I've got their Platinum model, and it's great for what I need (lots of reading, e-mail through hot sync, etc...). I really like the expansion slot.

May 17, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #17 of 58
Speaking of old school, I have been using Franklin paper planner for maybe a decade now, and I intend to keep using it. So I won't be using any of the "basic" function of a PDA. The biggest reason I want to buy a PDA is to keep track of my investments. Initially I'm thinking about switching from Qicken to MS Money, so I was considering PocketPC only so I can use pocket Money. However, after using Money for a few minutes I decided to keep Quicken. With PocketQuicken in mind now I have the flexibility to choose either Palm or PocketPC.

In short, what I need from a PDA, other than able to run PocketQucken, are a nice color screen, relatively compact (most pocketPCs are on the big side, but it's not that important), wireless connectivity (WiFi, not sure about bluetooth yet, I need a bluetooth phone for that, right?) for web surfing, and Mpeg4/MP3 playing.

More suggestions please!
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #18 of 58
Are you aware that Franklin makes Palm OS compatible software?

I used Franklin for 15 years before I finally took the plunge. Once you switch, you'll never go back.
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #19 of 58
Gergor,

Not to be persistent
smily_headphones1.gif
, but the Dell Axim is VERY compact, has a great color screen, has a removeable battery (plus emergency battery to prevent memory loss in the event that your main battery goes completely dead), offers great musical sound through headphones, doesn't have built-in Wi-fi but this really isn't an issue since you have both an SD and CF slot (I have a CF Wi-fi card), and has all of the features that the PocketPC platform has to offer that most Palms don't have--such as mp3 capability built-in (with the sky's the limit in expandability), video (pocket tv for those converted DVDs), sophisticated games, electronic books, audio books (I have the audible service--is it available for Palm?) and an operating system which offers a seamless transition to your desktop pc (with Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.).

If built-in Wi-fi is a NECESSITY, have you investigated whether Dell will be adding built-in Wi-fi anytime soon (I heard it rumored that they would be)?

And, of course, the Dell comes at a much more REASONABLE price than most comparably-featured PocketPCs.

May 17, 2003 at 10:45 PM Post #20 of 58
FWIW, I personally hate PPCs, I don't know about you but they seem to end up being glorified gameboys or digicams because of the stylus based data entry which is atrocious for anything except a bit of quick PIM entry or a very brief reply to an email. Those thumb keyboards as far as I'm concerned seem to be an afterthought and impractical. You have to type as if you were sending an SMS on a mobile...

Not to discourage you ro anything, but, my friends have all bought PPCs and I couldn't help laughing at them. My friend with a Sony Clie NV70 with digicam basically uses it as a camera, MP3 player and a way to play monopoly. He might ocassionally put in a note or two but they're far and few between. My other friend has a Palm Tungsten W and he actually uses it productively for organising his time, keeping a diary/journal but he always is annoyed by the fact that he can't do any serious text editing on the road.

I personally love/loved the HPC form factor which was between a PDA and a Notebook but that's all but gone now. If you really want a stylus based input PDA I'd say save your money and grab a Zaire. They're handy and they work and work and work (few months on 2AAAs.) Unless colour is crucial, this PDA more than fits the bill.

May 17, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
Are you aware that Franklin makes Palm OS compatible software?

I used Franklin for 15 years before I finally took the plunge. Once you switch, you'll never go back.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I think I saw that in the catalog. But I have no idea what those softwares do. Maybe I'll check them out next time I order refill.
biggrin.gif

They also have binders/cases which hold both PDA and paper planner, I guess there're still a lot of people like me who wouldn't want to give up paper planner huh?
redface.gif

May 17, 2003 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by dparrish
And, of course, the Dell comes at a much more REASONABLE price than most comparably-featured PocketPCs.

Hi dparrish, thank you for the suggestion. Axim is indeed attractively priced. I have not seen one, but I thought they're a bit bulky, no? with the rubberized grip and all... I wish it'd look a little more elegant like the Sony...

May 17, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by evilcthul
FWIW, I personally hate PPCs, I don't know about you but they seem to end up being glorified gameboys or digicams because of the stylus based data entry which is atrocious for anything except a bit of quick PIM entry or a very brief reply to an email. Those thumb keyboards as far as I'm concerned seem to be an afterthought and impractical. You have to type as if you were sending an SMS on a mobile...

Actually the keyboard is one reason I'm seriously considering the Clie. I used to own a RIM blackberry, and I like the keyboard very much which allowed me to type up emails very conveniently. It's ashamed that those low cost comsumer blackberry services all went out of business.

May 17, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #24 of 58
Gergor,

I know the Axim LOOKS bulky from the website, but it really ISN'T AT ALL. Actually, the Axim is quite small (considerably smaller than my first PPC, the Casio E-125) and VERY attractive. The black rubbery sides actually serve a purpose you'll appreciate--they keep the PPC from slipping out of your hand.
smily_headphones1.gif
The docking cradle is WAY cool. Dell makes a zippered case for a reasonable amount that can carry around extra memory, modem cards, even credit cards and cash, and it still fits in your pocket.

As to the data input thing, Microsoft has VASTLY improved the handwriting recognition with the PPC2002 operating system. You can actually program the software to recognize your own PERSONAL handwriting style. After programming mine, I can write about as fast as I can type. And with flash memory a standard feature on ALL PPCs now, any changes in the operating system can be downloaded to make your PPC up-to-date. And personally, I think those tiny little "freebie" keyboards are a waste. If you really think you'll need a keyboard (which may be alot LESS than you think, especially with the vastly improved handwriting recognition software), get yourself one of Dell's VERY compact travel keyboards that folds out into a FULL SIZE and very USABLE keyboard.

I highly recommend that you visit PocketPCPassion , which is Dale Coffing's outstanding website for pocketpc lovers (you guessed it), and peruse the information and forums there before making a final decision.

May 18, 2003 at 11:12 AM Post #27 of 58
Initially I was torn between a Toshiba e740 (BT & wi-fi) & a Palm Tungsten. One was available the other was out of stock so I ended up with the Palm. Although I probably prefer to be using the PocketPC OS, I'm kind of glad I do have the Palm because I work with both PC & Mac. PocketPC doesn't allow me to do that. Although I'm not sure whether Mac's Virtual PC can allow it to do that.

May 18, 2003 at 2:47 PM Post #28 of 58
The pocketpc's were simply too buggy all the way around. You'd pay 700 Euros and have dust under the screen, spiking digitizers, bluetooth that essentially didn't work, syncronizing software that just doesn't sync (why do you think it's called Activestync?).... I just got tired of riding the PocketPC early adopter bandwagon. I wanted a pda that had few frills and just worked. Since I got a Tungsten minus the bugs that plague so many others, it's worked out. It's my pda to use while deciding what I want in a pda.
biggrin.gif

It's tough though, one of things that was nice about Pocketpc were the skins. My husband is a skinner for pocketpc (windows Media player, Today screen, Dashboard and now Facelift), and he makes some of the best pocketpc skins. It's hard not being able to use them. Although, he did make two palm skins - one for Wassup and the other for Zlauncher. You can find those two skins by searching for Juni and/or Zlauncher in the forums at Brighthand, www.brighthand.com .

His Pocketpc skins can be found at http://koti.welho.com/kruohio/skinz.html
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #30 of 58
I'm still using my Visor Prism (Palm OS). At the time it was no contest between the Windows and Palm OS for reliability and mature applications for my needs (contacts, short notes, calender). I chose the Visor over Palm for their better expandability. Plus the Palm based Visor has been an exceptionally stable and reliable device. I find this refreshing especially since the motherboard went out on my Dell laptop (Thank Fred for extended service contracts).

That being said I am now looking at PocketPC based systems for my next purchase. IMO the PocketPC's OS has now matured to a point that it is actually useable and the expandability factor has definitely been won by PocketPC's. It looks like the PalmOS is going towards convergence with communications devices more than as standalone PDA+.

The PocketPC will eventually replace the Prism but I see a couple of years overlap when I will be using both, since I will be starting a new job and it is actually a split position.

I am currently looking at PocketPC's from Toshiba, Dell and HP/Compaq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back