PCDPs?
Oct 28, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 20
I think my Rio Volt sounds pretty good, but I've never heard any of the vintage ones.

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mittermeier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dose PCDP stand for Portable CD player ?
Panasonic SL-CT810 and SONY D-NE20 are the best of recent products, in my opinion.

I've personally been using a DNE20 for the past year and a half or so and been very satisfied with it. I even ended up selling my iPod and ZVM since I didn't find myself using them very much.

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 20
I'm using the slightly thicker version of the NE-20 and find it to be very good optical out. I have also got 2 D-EJ1000 and previously had a D-EJ2000 but preferred my 920 as it's much more practical to use with the build in display and buttons on the lid.

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 20
I really dislike what Sony did with the optical/line out on the D-NE10 and D-NE20. They made the headphone jack the line-out, meaning you CAN'T use the remote if you want to attach an amp or DAC. Either than, or you look ridiculous by having your amp/DAC attached to the remote. And they put the buttons for the player on the bottom. Some of the stupidest design decisions ever, it really affected how I enjoyed my D-NE10 which was otherwise a great player.

The iRiver SlimX series did it so much better by simply having separate jacks for optical/line out and headphone/remote out. I still think my iMP-400 sounds superb. It's warmer than the D-NE10 but less airy.

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really dislike what Sony did with the optical/line out on the D-NE10 and D-NE20. They made the headphone jack the line-out, meaning you CAN'T use the remote if you want to attach an amp or DAC. Either than, or you look ridiculous by having your amp/DAC attached to the remote. And they put the buttons for the player on the bottom. Some of the stupidest design decisions ever, it really affected how I enjoyed my D-NE10 which was otherwise a great player.

The iRiver SlimX series did it so much better by simply having separate jacks for optical/line out and headphone/remote out. I still think my iMP-400 sounds superb. It's warmer than the D-NE10 but less airy.

Well, I doubt I'll use a remote that much. I really don't like them.

It seems that there are no buttons on the ne20 or the ne10 and you have to rely solely on the remote to do your navigation, Yuck! I do like how thin they are though...

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 20
That is exactly why I like the D-NE920 so much. Display and buttons on the top of the lid and not that much thicker than the other players. The remote does not bother me, I've never used one with any of my players, just another bit to carry. Then pair it with a good optical cable and a chip rolled iBasso D1 and you have a system that is lots better than it's price tag.

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is exactly why I like the D-NE920 so much. Display and buttons on the top of the lid and not that much thicker than the other players. The remote does not bother me, I've never used one with any of my players, just another bit to carry. Then pair it with a good optical cable and a chip rolled iBasso D1 and you have a system that is lots better than it's price tag.

Do you know if that is true for the 900 aswell? it's the only player listed that I can find available on Amazon.

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the slightly thicker version of the NE-20 and find it to be very good optical out. I have also got 2 D-EJ1000 and previously had a D-EJ2000 but preferred my 920 as it's much more practical to use with the build in display and buttons on the lid.

EJ1000 and EJ2000 are only used for being viewed.
D-EJ01 is much much much better than them.

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lustaficko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know if that is true for the 900 aswell? it's the only player listed that I can find available on Amazon.

No, I've had no experience with the D-EN900 but looking at the specs on amazon it does not look like it even does line out.

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mittermeier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EJ1000 and EJ2000 are only used for being viewed.
D-EJ01 is much much much better than them.

Sound wise I could not really tell much difference between the D-EJ2000, D-EJ1000 and D-EN920. However the D-EJ2000 despite being build from titanium feels flimsy. The D-EJ1000 on the other hand is build like a tank, by far the best build quality of the 3. Both are very pretty to look at but a pain to operate via the buttons on the side of the unit. I've had no experience with the D-EJ01.

Oct 28, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 20
the NE900 does have a digital out. See this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258274

I believe the only differences are:

-Analog amp(900) as opposed to digital amp(930) via HPO: The analog is supposedly more powerful and sounds better then the digital amp. If you're using the line out, this doesn't matter (both DACs are the same?)
-Noise: It's been reported that there is some hiss with the 900s using sensative 'phones.
-Battery life: The 900 gets 85 hours while the 920 gets 100.
-lcd display: 900 shows four lines without a backlight, 920 has 5 lines and a backlight.
-Navigation: 900 uses a jog wheel like the ipods while the 920 uses a roller thing.

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lustaficko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any good PCDPs around anymore? All the ones I find are vintage players and I can't find much info on them.

I really like the sound of the vintage (mid 1990's) Panasonic PCDPs. The one I use is model number SL-S160. You can get them on eBay for less than $20 shipped. Mine happens to be unused new old stock! I actually bought 2 others as spares since they are so cheap.

They have a line output which is not found on today's PCDPs.
The sound leans towards the dark side with a warm tone, so pairing with brighter headphones (eg Grados) is the way to go.
Here is a pic of mine...
desktopsystem.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back