PCDP (& mp3 reader) with digital out? (ART DI/O users, enter)
May 2, 2003 at 5:39 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
I don't think their is currently any portable cd/mp3 player with digital output (optical or coax).

jpelg is mostly correct here. And even if there were a portable CD/MP3 player with a digital output, that output would operate in digital mode only on Redbook CD playback, and not on MP3 playback. The non-US Panasonic SL-CT800 is one such example - but the US-market version of that portable CD/MP3 player may not even have a line-out, let alone a digital output.

May 2, 2003 at 11:27 AM Post #17 of 37
If you want good MP3 playback with the Di/O, one option would be to use an Archos Jukebox Recorder 20. I was in your shoes a year ago, and brought all my music on the Archos, left the CDs home, and used the digital out of the Archos into the Di/O. Very nice sound.

My very portable and listenable amp and speakers is the Cambridge Soundworks Model 11 (the current version, I think, is Model 12).

The whole stereo - amp, speakers, subwoofer, source (with 20 gigs of music) and DAC, fit into the small suitcase/subwoofer of the Model 11, and in the overhead compartment on the plane.

May 2, 2003 at 12:48 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Sony's latest top of the line models have optical outs too. Hope that helps.

I haven't heard the optical out of the newer models, but I ran the optical out of the D-303 through a Monarchy DIP and out to an ART DI/O. The sound..err...sucked. The coax out decks did much better.

May 2, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #19 of 37
first, thanks for good answers, folks
smily_headphones1.gif

ok..i guess i'll have to burn these mp3 on Redbook format
(the ones i can't have in an original CD's, don't kill me for using mp3)
ok, question:
is there a PCDP out there that its line out equals or tops Art di/o?
what's its price?

May 3, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #20 of 37
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but if you want both a PCDP that decodes MP3 files AND HAS AN OPTICAL OUTPUT then you should check out the IRiver iMP-550!!!!!
http://www.iriver.com

This is the newest PCDP/MP3 player with an OPTICAL OUTPUT.
This is the specific page:
http://www.iriver.com/company/news_view.asp?idx=330

Now the Optical Output is digital, but I think it may only work with CD audio discs playing, and the optical output may not work with outputting MP3 discs digital audio out. Read up on the
descriptions for it yourself at the included weblinks above. Don't
know how much it will be and is supposed to be released in June
(?)

All of the portable CD/MP3 players that I know of only have an Analog output (Headphone jack.) The earlier iRiver and SonicBlue RioVolt CD/MP3 players have a dedicated line out jack but they are not good at all. The best digital output you will get from a PCDP/MP3 will be the new iRiver iMP-550 player (with its advertised Digital Output port, but it has not been released and people are waiting to see if it is as good as advertised) and it has not been released yet.

There were some Sony PCDP that had the optical output, but not with MP3 decoding capabilities. I think those units have been discontinued now.

Then there is a SONY Portable CD/MP3/DVD player.
Sony PSYC(TM) DVD Player With MP3 Capability (DVP-PQ1)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

* Dolby Digital and DTS output for great sound
* Supports DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3
* Composite and S-video outputs

You wont find any PCDP with MP3 decoding capabilities with a coaxial output!

Do you have a laptop with a digital output port or a Coaxial Audio
Output port? I have a Gateway laptop that has a Digital Output port that I could connect to a stereo system with an Optical Input to get good sound from recorded MP3s. Just use the laptop to play all the CDs and MP3s that you want.

I have an Adapter called the "USBSoundbox" that connects to the
Computer's USB port and directs DIGITAL AUDIO output from the computer, then the USBSoundbox has both a Digital and Analog
output ports that can be connected to a "Digital-In" Port for a stereo or you could connect a cable from the Analog output of the USBSoundbox to your LEFT and RIGHT stereo inputs of your stereo system.

Was this somewhat helpful?
What more do you want??????????????
smily_headphones1.gif

PM me if you have any questions and I will try to help you.

May 3, 2003 at 10:19 AM Post #21 of 37
rblanco10, thanks for your time!
smily_headphones1.gif

the iRiver iMP-550 looks cool...sure worth waiting to see what's its worth!

the sony DVP-PQ1 has no optical/coaxial output!
so it's no option.

i don't have a laptop. until i go abroad with my transportable setup, i have my PC with that USBSoundbox from ebay, i guess yours is the same.

May 3, 2003 at 5:41 PM Post #23 of 37
• Inputs and Outputs :

• S-Video Output

• Composite Video Output

what is the coax out in here?

May 3, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
To use the DI/O you'll want coax out.

Denon DCP-150
Optimus CD-3400
Kenwood DPC-72
Kenwood DPC-721

None of these will do mp3.

seems like old models. which of them also have a good line-out?
where can i get such players?

again,i'm askling, is there a PCDP with line-out that's better then the art di/o?

(btw, i don't think i need the DVD option so much because it woud'nt be portable,which is a good extra if we're talking about small sizes anyway...i just did'nt have a clue what would be the smallest size of such device that fits into my needs)

May 4, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

what is the coax out in here?

Check the next page (specs)! Here is the link:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ntentItemPage=

See?

Coaxial Digital Output x 1

Also notice the DD and DTS out (always digital). Don't know about MP3, but contrary to popular belief there is no real reason why a player that plays MP3s and CDs (PCM audio) can't spit this out digitally. A lot of applications I've seen with MP3 convert to PCM to send to the output DACs. It really depends how integrated the system is.

May 4, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I haven't heard the optical out of the newer models, but I ran the optical out of the D-303 through a Monarchy DIP and out to an ART DI/O. The sound..err...sucked. The coax out decks did much better.

maybe this says it's better to stay out of the optical->converters->coax chain type, and to leave it cleaner with just coax out?
(remember i cannot listen and test any of the options before i buy)

May 4, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #27 of 37
The DVP-PQ2 may not be able to output PCM audio digitally. In order to cut costs, the digital output may only output multichannel DTS/Dolby Digital signals. So, if that were the case, then the only way to output Redbook or MP3 audio output is through the analog output(s).

May 4, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #28 of 37
daniel422,
that's still, big (hell what did i expect):

• Approx.Dimensions (w/h/d): 11.2" x 9.7" x 14.4" (284 x 247 x 366

that means upgraditis to a bigger suitcase
tongue.gif

May 4, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
The DVP-PQ2 may not be able to output PCM audio digitally. In order to cut costs, the digital output may only output multichannel DTS/Dolby Digital signals. So, if that were the case, then the only way to output Redbook or MP3 audio output is through the analog output(s).

well...i'll check that out if i see that it's the best choice for me
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for the tip!

May 4, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Interesting, but DTS IS PCM (as is redbook audio). That's why you can put DTS on a normal CD and play it straight through your stereo DAC (if you want to listen to hash). Have you ever seen a player (any format) that will output DTS digital and NOT do regular CDs?

I may be just as dubious of the output of this device as you are (since this is the first I've seen advertising coax out), but to suggest it won't do normal digital audio out if it does DTS and DD doesn't make sense. It would take more work to block normal digital audio than to just output everything (in all the applications I've seen). Have you used this player? (I have not)

It sounds like it would fit the bill perfectly, with maybe the exception of mp3 digital out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back