PCDP (& mp3 reader) with digital out? (ART DI/O users, enter)
May 5, 2003 at 5:37 AM Post #31 of 37
It is a different type of coaxial out, it is a digital coaxial out that is used in many audio components. Do not mix this up with RCA Analog coaxial audio (red and white) or even RF Coaxial video cables that go into your TV.

May 5, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #32 of 37
ok so the options are:

1.well now we got a debate on a device i don't really want to buy
and we're not sure if it will play redbooks or mp3 thru the digital out, until someone e-mail someone to check it out..
DVD OUT!

2.iRiver 550: http://www.iriver.com/company/news_view.asp?idx=330
not out yet, and i'm sure it will take a bit time until a true audiophile will review it... +
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I haven't heard the optical out of the newer models, but I ran the optical out of the D-303 through a Monarchy DIP and out to an ART DI/O. The sound..err...sucked. The coax out decks did much better.

seems like too much of a risk. assuring sound quality is prefered over mp3 reading ability when i can't listen. i'll burn the mp3 to Redbook.
MP3 OUT!

3.jpelgs' suggestion for Sony DJ-E721, or maybe other new PCDP model with optical out..but that requirs that optical->coaxial converter. i now understand that it might be a risk too, right? (after knowing that optical outs can sound BAD)
still...i spent all of my best money for that EMP (can still go further,but..).. i don't want to go over-priced here, so..

4.the first suggestion of Hirsch:
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
To use the DI/O you'll want coax out.

Denon DCP-150
Optimus CD-3400
Kenwood DPC-72
Kenwood DPC-721

i think hirsch's suggestion is a relatively safe move.
anybody knows if there's an option to buy them as new?
maybe it would be good to contact a firm directly?
which of the models do you people know (well, the older guys in here i guess) and can throw some comments about?

well, i don't have the Art DI/O yet, so any other suggestions for my transportable setup (that DO include Beyer DT880 and EMP)
are welcome.

May 5, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf

4.the first suggestion of Hirsch:

i think hirsch's suggestion is a relatively safe move.
anybody knows if there's an option to buy them as new?
maybe it would be good to contact a firm directly?
which of the models do you people know (well, the older guys in here i guess) and can throw some comments about?

The players I cited are older players. The chances of getting new one or one in new shape are rather small. The Denon and Optimus command high prices, but the Kenwoods are not as well known and can sometimes be found at reasonable prices when they come up on ebay.

May 5, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

i now understand that it might be a risk too, right? (after knowing that optical outs can sound BAD)

Not true! I just did a comparison between the PCDP w/optical cable, and a full-sized Sony NS500V w/coax cable. No difference. Granted my cable choices to test were limited to those that could be purchased locally and therefore returned. And my number of sources I used to test are limited. But in my setup it is all about the DAC. The Benchmark cites utra-low jitter specs, which should theoretically remove any difference in source/cable. My experience says this is true. YMMV depending on the DAC.

IMO, you should be looking at a new PCDP w/optical out, and get a Sostenuto (PDAC) from aos. Sell the EMP, and ditch the idea of the DI/O + converters (what a snake-pit!). The only alternative is more expensive (Benchmark, or Grace 901). Either way, go sleek and light for your trip abroad. When you get back, you can go for a full-sized system.

Just my .02

[/edit for minor spelling errors]

smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #35 of 37
jpelg..
how does the Art compare to the Benchmark in the jitter specs?
so the Art is supposed to be more sensitive?

well, as you can see.. i'm pushing towards a coax out player.
i don't like either the idea of the converter thing also in the chain..but in case i will end up with a PCDP with an optical line out instead of coax..remember, it's very small and the setup will always sit in the suitcase. i can allow myself very short cables, so it won't be messy.
NO WAY i'm giving up on transportable tube amp he he
tongue.gif

also, i hope to never come back to live in israel again, so this is at least..a very long trip! i won't get the satisfaction of the PDAC for a setup that i want it to go thru a lot with me. of coarse i don't have money for the upper DAC's.
(i just can't wait to see these babies warm up on my table in my new room, somewhere in new-zealand!
smily_headphones1.gif
) (that's CLASSIC for me)

a question: how much better is that Art DI/O then the sony d-25/s
line out? (just to clarify things in my mind)

May 5, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #36 of 37
Hirsch,
what about each of these players's line-out?
anti-shock maybe?

May 5, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
Hirsch,
what about each of these players's line-out?
anti-shock maybe?

The line out of the Denon is as good as a pcdp gets. The Kenwoods and Optimus are good, but not in the Denon's class. None of these players has anti-shock (I sold my Kenwood DPC-721 and can't remember if it had anti-shock or not, come to think of it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back