PCDP+DAC+Amp?
Jul 4, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #31 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I don't remember anyone saying that the Micro DAC was as good as the Meridian 588 at the Chicago Headroom Head-Fi meet.

at the Cincinnati meet, i couldn't tell the difference between the 588 and the Max DAC out of the maxed out Headroom Desktop amplifier. a couple other people there made the same observations. perhaps that is what is being referenced. i didn't compare the Micro DAC to the Meridian, but i thought the Micro compared favorably with the DAC in my Yamaha DV-S5770 (which retails at $350-400, street). the Micro was slightly more detailed than the Yamaha, but the Yamaha was a bit more "natural" and had a slightly broader soundstage.

Jul 4, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #32 of 33
I have my MicroDac and MicroAmp (desktop module) setup for both portable and PC USB connection(home use). I really enjoy what I have and the sound I am getting through my ATH-W1000s.

Whether one system is absolutely better than another is moot to me. What is important is my personal enjoyment level. I will have soon another headphone to compare my ATH-W1000 too and that is going to be the Beyer DT880 with Cardas cables. I think that the end point in my system is the most important one and that is not the phones or any other component in line; its my ears and my own personal satisfaction.

I hope everyone can to come to that point. Maybe later when I mature to a higher level of sensitivity/understanding, I will then desire a different set of components. I also use the portability of my system as well. More refinement may require less portability, maybe not. Later as the field matures even more, this may be less of a problem than it is now. The AE-1 does sound promising from its spoiler type-hype. Reading about it; it will do everything for everybody, but we will see. It almost sound to good to be true. It could also set a new target for everyone. This can only be good for us all.

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #33 of 33
I called Headroom this afternoon and had a nice discussion with Mario,

He told me the performance of Micro DAC is comparable with the DAC in the HOME CD player which cost up to US$1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back