PCDP+DAC+Amp?
May 20, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #16 of 33
So you will probably want to wait for version 7 of the SM to be ready and then you could match that up with say version 4 of the Xin (soon to be built)DAC. This way you could be up to date with Xin's products for say 1 day before he announces Version 8 of the SM and Version 5 of the dac.

May 20, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #17 of 33
Sorry I couldn’t resist. Seriously you should wait for the DAC so you know how it will sound and could then compare it for yourself.
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #18 of 33
I was referring to the MicroDAC from HeadRoom that is currently available now. Supposedly it is the same components of the successful OVERTURE Portable DAC. Check it out.

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #20 of 33
Does anyone want to help the question of the added value of a DAC to the sound quality with a D-EJ2000 and a Headroom MOH also? From cost efficiency point of view, is it worth to spend $300 on Headroom Micro DAC?

Currently I have SONY D-EJ2000 PCDP(Line out)-->Kimber mini to RCA--> Headroom MOH-->HD650.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #21 of 33
If you are using a Headroom MOH amp why not go for a good home CD player rather than messing with PCDP's and a mini DAC?

I believe the Micro DAC is meant to offer a better digital to analog conversion portably when you are on the road [or with an old CD player or a computer setup]. I think even the folks at headroom would agree that you are better off not spending your $300 and saving up for a decent CD player if you plan on using this in a home rig.
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #22 of 33
In light of the comparison between the MicoDac and a home CD player what would you suggest would possible? How expensive a home CD player would I have to consider to get at least the quality of the Headroom microDac beyond a mobile system using an optical out (say an ihp-120) and the MicroAmp with the desktop module?

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
In light of the comparison between the MicoDac and a home CD player what would you suggest would possible? How expensive a home CD player would I have to consider to get at least the quality of the Headroom microDac beyond a mobile system using an optical out (say an ihp-120) and the MicroAmp with the desktop module?

Not sure, but the guys at Headroom are great. If you ask them, they will give you an honest answer - they arent just profit whores.
tongue.gif

One suggestion I can give is the Eastsound CD-E5. There is a link in my signature for more information. Someone in the US asked for a quote recently and they were given $779 shipped which is very reasonable. You may be able to cut shipping costs [I think $149 of that is shipping] by organizing a group buy, but it is well worth the price. Comes with a free high quality power cable as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #24 of 33
I definitely noticed a difference in SQ with the Microdac in combo with Ray's SR-71. It was clearer and crisper.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #25 of 33
I don't agree that the folks at Headroom would tell you to save your money and invest in a dedicated home cd player instead. If you look back at posts regarding the Micro DAC, someone from Headroom mentioned that the Micro DAC fares favorably to a NAD541 (or so) plus has the option of portability. Also, some people prefer the Micro DAC to the DAC1. Furthermore, at recent head-fi meets, people have compared the Headroom DACs to those in Meridian cd players. Don't discount the Micro DAC just because of its small size; it certainly seems to deliver more performance than its $300 price tag suggests.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
If you are using a Headroom MOH amp why not go for a good home CD player rather than messing with PCDP's and a mini DAC?

I believe the Micro DAC is meant to offer a better digital to analog conversion portably when you are on the road [or with an old CD player or a computer setup]. I think even the folks at headroom would agree that you are better off saving your $300 and saving up for a decent CD player if you plan on using this in a home rig.
wink.gif

philodox,
Thanks very much for the info!

The key is how good the D/A performance in Headroom Micro DAC, I will try to call Headroom to ask. If Headroom sells DAC separately with home DAC option, I will go for it. But it looks impossible now.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd
If Headroom sells DAC separately with home DAC option, I will go for it. But it looks impossible now.

They won't. Desktop, Home, and Max DACs are only available integrated into their amplifier systems.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
I don't agree that the folks at Headroom would tell you to save your money and invest in a dedicated home cd player instead. If you look back at posts regarding the Micro DAC, someone from Headroom mentioned that the Micro DAC fares favorably to a NAD541 (or so) plus has the option of portability.

Well, I haven't heard the NAD541, but I really don't think that Headroom is marketing their Micro DAC as a replacement to the home CD player. Quote:

Also, some people prefer the Micro DAC to the DAC1.

Not suprising... I think the DAC1 is horribly overrated. I prefer my AOS Flute to the DAC1 when using them as both a DAC and amp. Quote:

Furthermore, at recent head-fi meets, people have compared the Headroom DACs to those in Meridian cd players.

I don't remember anyone saying that the Micro DAC was as good as the Meridian 588 at the Chicago Headroom Head-Fi meet. I thought that the Micro DAC + Micro Amp combo was a bit better than my AOS Flute in terms of imaging and instrument separation. In general I think it is a great value for a portable DAC. If anything I think that if there are comparisons being drawn between the Micro and the Meridian it is more a fault of the Meridian as I found it to be extremely underwhelming. Quote:

Don't discount the Micro DAC just because of its small size; it certainly seems to deliver more performance than its $300 price tag suggests.

I agree. For $300 it is an amazing value for a portable DAC. I just think that if your main use is in a home setup you would be better investing a little more money and getting a home CD player.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #29 of 33
Please read the recent meet impressions threads again. People have said that the Micro DAC comparatively performs slightly less than the Meridian's DAC. Take that for what you will...but $300 for that performance is hard to beat regardless of home vs. portable use. Many people are satisfied with the Micro DAC/Overture in their home rigs.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Please read the recent meet impressions threads again. People have said that the Micro DAC comparatively performs slightly less than the Meridian's DAC.

Fair enough, I'll give it another read.

Again, I am not trying to say that the Micro DAC is a bad value by any means. If I was looking to build a portable rig and needed a DAC it would be my first choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back