PCDP+DAC+Amp?
May 19, 2005 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

kiwirugby

Headphoneus Supremus
I see that HeadRoom has a portable DAC on thier new website. What would be the added value (if any) of such a DAC with a Sony D-EJ2000 pcdp with optical out and a Xin SuperMacro V.3? Overkill? Better sound?

What would be the best optical IC from the pcdp to the DAC?

I appreciate any and all thoughts or suggestions.

May 20, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 33
I have the same question. I am looking to buy a sony d-ej2000 to go with my sr-71. Right now I use my irriver hp120.

In addition, would the anti-skip function be nullified buy the dac because it goes straight into the optical and bypasses the memory of that anti-skip?

May 20, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 33
If I'm not mistaken, non-skip is not an issue with the digital out.

I have the D-EJ1000, and it does a pretty nice job feeding the Overture DAC. It makes a HUGE difference over the audio output of the PCDP.

As for the optical cable, I'm just using some p.o.s. Monster cable that I bought at Radio Shack. It works fine.

May 20, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 33
Sounds good.

I still have the Toslink optical cable which I originally needed for the Benchmark DAC1, (which I returned, BTW). I used it with my iriver with an adapter, (iriver > optical cable > benchmark > JMT RCA - mini cable > sr-71). What will I need for the sony d-ej2000 > micro dac > sr-71?

May 20, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 33
Where do I get the Toslink mini-mini? From the same place I got the Toslink optical cable?

May 20, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
I see that HeadRoom has a portable DAC on thier new website. What would be the added value (if any) of such a DAC with a Sony D-EJ2000 pcdp with optical out and a Xin SuperMacro V.3? Overkill? Better sound?

What would be the best optical IC from the pcdp to the DAC?

I appreciate any and all thoughts or suggestions.

Hi,

Could you post a direct URL link to this DAC?
I cant get pass headroom's zipper head page because I do not want to install shockwave player 10

Thanks

May 20, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 33
http://www.headphone.com/products/he...micro-dac.php#

smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by erickoh
Hi,

Could you post a direct URL link to this DAC?
I cant get pass headroom's zipper head page because I do not want to install shockwave player 10

Thanks

BTW, Headroom the headphone store's address is www.headphone.com not www.headroom.com

May 20, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 33
I will not use the portable out to my amp any longer. I use a portable dac with optical mini to mini. The site for the optical cable I use is below and it is excellent quality. He measure end to end and not just the length of the cable. I have a 8 inch, 15 and 24 so I can connect in various conditions. I also have mini to toslink so I can use my home unit to my portable dac.

I find that through the dac I use the bass is deeper and more solid. In all other areas the difference is just better sound and much higher quality. I have compared optical and standard electrical and I prefer the optical. I use the D-EJ1000 and 2000 and they both work great.

John

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_inf...roducts_id=254

May 20, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I have the D-EJ1000, and it does a pretty nice job feeding the Overture DAC. It makes a HUGE difference over the audio
output of the PCDP.

Thanks Elrod-Tom. How do you find the sound of the Optical Output
compared to the analog line-output of the D-EJ1000? Do you find that
the analog line-ouput is louder, fuller, and more powerful than the optical
line output? I am curious. How is the bass output through the optical
line-out, as pumped through your DAC? Which output is more desirable,
and Why?

Thanks!

Ruben

May 20, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 33
Kiwirugby, search for "Glass Optical Cable" under the Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) for a great Optical IC.

John I had not read your post when I responded.
Does your DAC use any opamps. if you know which one is it running?

I am wondering if I need to upgrade my DAC also. I am going to wait for the reviews of the MicroDAC to be posted up to read more information. Maybe
Dr. Xin might have his Portable DAC finished by then. (?)

May 20, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #15 of 33
Thanks everyone. Very helpful.

Does anyone want to tackle the question of the added value of a DAC to the the quality of sound with a D-EJ2000 and a Xin SM V.3?

Of course, rab10 may be right that we should wait until Xin finishes his DAC.....closely followed by his MP3 player with dedicated line out!!!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back