PC350 v Siberia V2
Sep 11, 2010 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Pine

Head-Fier
Hey, I've been looking for a headset...for a long, long time.
I've got the Sennheiser PC350 ordered ($150), and it's currently on back-order at NCIX, however I can cancel at any time.
My other option, after much research, is the SteelSeries Siberia V2 ($90). Now, I know SteelSeries is laughable in comparison to Sennheiser and what have you, but these particular cans reportedly have great audio quality and comfort. 

So, what will it be? I'm as indecisive as it gets when it comes to this, so please help me out, Head-Fi 
smile_phones.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm not sure the design of the v2 is similar to the v1 or not, but the comfort is definitely not there for the v1.
the cup is not deep at all and it presses hard against your ears.

no offense, but since you are in an audiophile forum, take a step back from those general consumer headphone is what i advice.
for gaming headphone in the audiophile world, the ad700 with a boom mic mod is greatly apperciated by many.
one of the headphone with the most suitable "directional" audio for gaming.
many also use it for their music.
the relatively bass light-ness is a factor for better audio during gaming.

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 21
I wouldn't consider Sennheiser a very general consumer headphone, only as much as Audio-Technica could be considered.
The thing with the AD700's is, less importantly buying them in Canada will run me about $150, which is too much for them. Haven't found US retailers shipping to Canada. The real issue is, I really want the microphone to be integrated - I just don't want the extra hassle of having another microphone, let alone modding it altogether. I also need a closed headset (So as not to disturb others, block out noises I don't want to hear and I've had experience sound from closed headsets leaking into a close-by microphone). 
The Siberia V2 is a huge step up over the original, as people say they're incredibly comfortable, improving specifically on the bad ear cushions. However, they probably aren't a match for the PC350's. I'm basically just about decided on the 350's as of now.
Thanks for the input, though 
smile.gif

Edit: Thanks for the info on the V2's. Taken into account.

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 21
I had a pair of the Icemat Siberias (which was merged into Steelseries) about four years ago and they only lasted nine months before the plastic housing of the right driver snapped at the attachment point for the headband.  I don't have a big head so I never had to really pull them far apart to put them on, but I used them often.  Judging by the images of the newest version, the design doesn't look any different from the original. 

I also own Steelseries 5H v2 with the retractable mic, which had decent build quality, but the sound over emphasizes the upper mids.  It has since been retired after I joined head-fi. 

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 21
I have the PC350, and i'm very displeased with their sound, the ATH-AD700 that a friend of mine has is so much better.
My 20$ Meelectronics M9 IEM has a far better quality bass, that can go much lower. The PC350 has a really weak, and very lousy bass. Even after modding it just goes from weak and lousy to powerful and horribly muddy. Everything else about their sound isn't that great either, and their soundstage is quite bad for a "gaming" headset. I don't think they are worth 150$ at all, and i cannot help but doubt they truly have the HD555/HD595 drivers in them.
My suggestion to you is to take the ATH-AD700 with a clip on mic, such as the Zalman ZM-MIC1.

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 21
Hmmm, wherever I read reviews they praise the PC350 endlessly, and only in some of them do they mention the bass is a bit low. I see on Head-Fi though, quite a few people hate them. 
I can't help but wonder how bad they can be, I mean, it's been confirmed they use the HD555/595 driver in them by a Sennheiser rep himself. What's your sound source? Any sound card?
I can't get the AD700 in Canada, I'm going to have to get it shipped from the US for a pretty ridiculous sum. I'm afraid that they'll leak sound into the microphone I attach if I mod them, and they won't isolate anything around me. Those are my main concerns with the AD700's...

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 21
Bump...guys I need help. I can't decide between the PC350 and the AD700. The AD700 is weak on bass, but if the PC350 is too, then it won't be much difference. The thing is, the PC350 gets really mixed reviews, with some saying they sound horrible, shallow and bassless, others saying they're crisp and have a perfect amount of bass and are the perfect headset. I'm really worried that the AD700 will leak noise into a nearby mic if I do choose to go with them. That would be a deal breaker, because the any nearby mic becomes unusable at that point. 
Please help me.

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 21
would you be opposed to using a standalone mic? i know you said you dont want to have to deal with modding and such, but a $15 logitech desktop mic works perfectly for me and all i do is leave it on my desk. i dont have to lean forward to talk into it or anything like that.

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 21
Yea, I've considered that, and it's a hassle, but I can live with it I guess. My concern is that the open design will make sound leak into the mic, which I've had problems before with another headset that's open (Doesn't even leak too much, but a fair bit) with a high quality boom mic on it.

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #11 of 21
I've had my PC350 headset for three years now, and I am still very pleased with them. After thousands of hours they are in the same condition they were when I finished breaking them in: spotless. The build quality is excellent, the sound is crisp and clear (both incoming and outgoing), and the closed headset makes them a better choice than the PC360 or AD700 if you go to lan parties etc.

If someone modded theirs and the bass went from weak to muddy, they went too far. Yes, the headset does need the mod to achieve good bass if you're not using an amp, but it's important to find a middle ground on it - and even then it's not that bad without the mod. Different headsets and different people require different amounts of modding. Mine are right on par with what I think the Senn 555s would be as a closed set, and they certainly beat my ATH M50s for my needs.

Don't let a few poor reviews scare you away. They may not be true audiophile equipment, I have yet to hear of a better gaming headset.

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #12 of 21
Thanks a lot screwzloos. That was exactly what I needed with my nitpicky, anxious buying skills 
ph34r.gif

I will wait for them, and I will love them!

How long did it take for them to break in for you? Also, when modding, did you do the Porter mod with some cotton stuffing to get your perfect effect, or did you have your own take on it?
Thanks 
smile.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #13 of 21
The PC350 is nothing but a glorified VOIP headset. really. It is one of the most overpriced worst value for money products Sennhesier offers. Really. You're MUCH better off getting a proper stereo headphone and then getting a clip-on / lapel microphone.
The AD700 won't leak enough for it to be picked up by the lapel mic.

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #14 of 21
These conflicting posts are absolutely making my head explode. When some people say it's absolutely perfect and others say it's garbage, there has to be something wrong!
Also, the AD700's bass lack is kind of pushing me away, as well as it being a non-noise-isolating pair of cans (because they're open, of course).

There are so many people telling me the PC350's suck, however some people say they're amazing and say that you need to give them a chance.
I don't have that much money, and NCIX doesn't accept any returns for headphones (where I bought them from for $150 CAD, local store). 
Many recommend the AD700, but I much prefer a closed pair of cans that have a microphone on them, not only that, but I do listen to Trance and such music and as such I do appreciate some bass, and everybody says the AD700's lacks bass, whereas some say the PC350 lacks bass and others say it has great bass after burn in. On Amazon, just about every review for the PC350 is positive. What other alternatives do I have? I want the PC350 but all these posts and threads contradicting each other are driving me insane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back