PC speakers recommendations
Dec 4, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #16 of 39
If you want the best bang for the buck than hands down no arguing here it has to be the JBL creatures. They now are sell for $59.00 in most retail stores and around $40 online. They have been around longer than any other pc speaker system and must say something. Every manufacturer has new models evry 3 to 6 months but the JBL Creatures always get high reviews and now they are cheap as well. Granted you could spend 200+ on a set of klipsh or altecs but the sound will not be $160.00 better I will guarantee that.

If you looking for a 2.1 system on a resonalble budget look no further. JBL creatures are what you want. and they come in black, white, and silver.

Dec 6, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #17 of 39
These Yamaha speakers really sound good - they are not wimpy like most of the 2.1.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YSTMS50.../dp/B00000JBHE

They have exciting sound to them. I don't know where you can get them - might want to google search.

If you want to get good sound from a Computer, you should upgrade the sound card - This one sounds pretty good, and looks sleek too.

http://store.high-techoffice.com/yadpcaexauso.html

If you are not bent on 2.1, m200 swans will sound even better - someone mentioned this already in your thread.

Monitor audio one should sound really good too - I would choose from the 3 mentioned - and you will get a satisfying sound with the sound card upgrade.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #18 of 39
I've had the Swans m200 for awhile and they are really great but they aren't super small. When I go to the Monterey Jazz Festival every year, I take them with my laptop. We rent a suite at a local inn and meet several friends there. They always love the sound they make, even in a pretty large room, as say that it sounds better than their stereos at home.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #19 of 39
I have the Logitech's and I like them. They may not be perfect but pretty good overall. Good for movies. I sometimes hear very good detail just watching TV. I have had friends over and they were surprised on the sound when watching movies.

Ed

Dec 7, 2006 at 11:57 AM Post #20 of 39
Thanks a lot for all the replies. I'll try to respond to all the points that have been made.

* Amp and proper speakers (ie not multimedia) are not an option. I own this stuff but have chosen to leave it behind for now. Maybe one day when I have more space ...

* The price range is the neighbourhood of the speakers I have mentioned viz Altec MX5021, Logitech Z2300, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. I would be willing to spend more if the right speakers are available.

* Michael, I agree with you about 2.0 vs 2.1 but the smaller footprint of 2.1 satellites suits my room set up better, especially since I can put the subwoofer just about anywhere.

* Aego/Monitor Audio/Swan/M Audio are very hard/impossible to find in Australia. I'd deadset love to buy or try some of these speakers out (especially the Swans) if only I could ...

* Hermitt, I have come across Edifier speakers here but only really cheap, entry-level stuff.

* trose49, I'll have another look at the Creatures though I've heard mixed reviews about them and they're only 10-20% cheaper than the Altecs and Klipschs I mentioned.

If you have more to add, please do. I can only hope these PC speakers don't prove to be too big a drop down from what I'm used to.

Dec 7, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiChael. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My advice, don't get any of those multimedia speakers. You do nothing with those paper weights
biggrin.gif

If you would be listening to them at so called near field then I'd recommend you some active monitors. There are good brands like Dynaudio Acoustics and Quested, well Genelec and Mackie too might be neat.

x2

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGory /img/forum/go_quote.gif

* The price range is the neighbourhood of the speakers I have mentioned viz Altec MX5021, Logitech Z2300, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. I would be willing to spend more if the right speakers are available.

I think the computer speakers you have listed are good price points. I personally wouldn't pay any more for computer speakers unless I auditioned them and was convinced that the extra money I was paying was getting me something close to a separate amp and book shelf speakers. I think paying more for computer speakers in general has sharp diminishing returns. The internal amps don't seem to get much better, especially with companies who have whole line of speakers such as Logitech or Klipsch. They seem to add more surround sound speakers and throw in a larger subwoofer instead of concentrating on quality.

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #23 of 39
I'm presently using the Tivoli Model Two for computer speakers and its sounds pretty good, especially in the near field. Since its a single driver per box I believe the sound is more coherent. You could add a Tivoli or other sub at the same time or in the future. This turned out to be better sounding than the Harmon Kardon pc speakers I had previously.

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #24 of 39
i put in another vote for the swans. those are basically the same thing as mine... well, almost. their woofer is a sidestep from mine, and my tweeter is superior, but the same company made all the drivers in my speakers and the swans. for the price, it's unbeatable. the quality is outstanding, and the smoothness is present. the bass is also there; you can feel its presense. the only issue is if you're a super bass-head. then you might also want to invest in a subwoofer.

Dec 8, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #25 of 39
Dec 8, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #26 of 39
I just finished reading the first post and I have to say this immediately: STAY AWAY FROM Logitech's Z-2300 if you want neutral sound and clear details.

When I bought the Z-2300, I had a pair of Monsoon PlanarMedia 9 flat-panel speakers. I have read NUMEROUS reviews on the Z-2300 and they all said the Z-2300 is great, so I bought it. I was VERY surprised with what I heard: The set sounds HOLLOW, like they add some 3D effect on purpose to imitate some soundstage. Details are lacking. Mid is muddy (and very hollow). The sound signature is just not my type... It leads me to think I have water in my ears.. Needless to say I kept my set of Monsoon.

(Just to clarify on the Monsoons for those who're not familiar: These PlanarMedia 7, 9, 14 speakers are their multimedia line. So I'm not comparing bookshelf speakers to multimedia speakers here... The Monsoons have their shortcomings too, but they are a lot better than the 4 or 5 other multimedia speaker sets that I had.)

(Maybe I'm spoiled by the Monsoons. When I later bought the Ety ER-6, instead of being surprised, I remember I just went "o yes, this is just what I think this piece of music should sound like anyway". And now I have the Shure E4 E4c and I'm still not satisfied...)

Thoughts on some other speaker sets that I've also considered in the past:
- Altec Lansing MX5021: steered away because many people claim they hiss. I don't think I can tolerate some constant hissing.
- Klipsch ProMedia 2.1: I'm very interested in these but have not got a chance to get my hands on a set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i recommend the M-Audio DX4

This is the next set that I wanna get my hands on
smily_headphones1.gif
What's your thoughts on them?

Dec 8, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #27 of 39
mx5021 won't hiss if your source does not hiss >.<
They have pretty powerful high frequency response, puts all the other computer speakers to shame on the spot. Crappy sources get a kick in the nuts though. Keep in mind, mx5021 boasts 30hz-22khz response. Most comp speakers go 40-20, and it is evidently audible. I ran them out of echo indigo io...fun times.
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #28 of 39
I'll throw in another vote for the Tivoli Model Two. They sound great and if your listening habits/location changes you have a nice little radio to work with, not a set of computer speakers stuck in a closet.

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #29 of 39
I'm thinking about using small bookshelf speakers. Right now I'm leaning toward the b&W 600, but I've got to go listen to others.
At first I think I try powering them with a t-amp. For nearfield
listening at reasonable volumes it might provide enough power.
If not I'll make a passive volume control and use an old adcom
amp I have in the basement.

Has anybody tried the t-amp with b&w bookshelves?

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...)* Michael, I agree with you about 2.0 vs 2.1 but the smaller footprint of 2.1 satellites suits my room set up better, especially since I can put the subwoofer just about anywhere. (...)

If you have more to add, please do. I can only hope these PC speakers don't prove to be too big a drop down from what I'm used to.

Oh, well, the problem with the plethora of those satellite/woofer systems is that the satellites are too small - but it only works well, if the satellites are big enough to reach some 80 - 100 Hz, so that the woofer only needs to cover the really low bass. And that doesn't really work with all those mini satellites with 2 - 3 inch "mid/woofers". One rather needs some 4 - 5 inch mid/woofers to do that - otherwise the woofer has to go too far up and hence becomes locatable and tends to mush up with the satellites, if not thoroughly set up and adjusted... So, for the lack of adjustment controls in that woofer class, there goes your being able to put the sub just about anywhere. To make it worse, most of those cheap mini satellites have a rather uneven frequency response as well.

I fear your hope won't come true with the usual pc speaker systems. But you'd best listen for yourself. I'd suggest auditioning some of the mentioned pc speaker systems in a computer store vs. some of the priceworthy active monitors in a music equipment store.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back