PC speakers recommendations
Dec 3, 2006 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

iGory

New Head-Fier
I just moved out from my parents' place and I (desperately) need speakers. Space constraints have meant that my old floorstanders, amp, CD player, etc have been left behind so I'd like to buy a pair of 2.1 PC speakers.

What do you guys think of Logitech's Z-2300 vs ProMedia GMX A-2.1 (the original PM 2.1 isn't made for Australian voltages) vs Altec MX5021?

I'd consider offerings from JBL and Harman Kardon too, though they're not as aggressively priced here as the others. Any other speakers would likely be too difficult / expensive to buy here in Australia.

95% of the speakers usage would be for music.

Thanks in advance for the tips.

Dec 3, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 39
I don't have any info to offer you on those PC speakers you mentioned but...

I use a cheap-o integrated amp/reciever and Insignia bookshelf speakers from Best Buy for my computer. To me, they sound better than any $200 or less computer speakers (that I've heard). The only problem is that they take up quite a bit of space. If you want small, low-profile speakers that's definately not an option for you.

Dec 3, 2006 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 39
I've listened to the Klipsch 2.1 package and bought the Altec 5021s. The Klipsch speakers had a really noticeable hiss to them. The Altec's actually do too - I'm not that impressed with them. I'm actually pretty disappointed that as home PCs are used more and more as audio hubs that the quality of computer speakers has not improved much. I've decided to go for a separate amplifier and bookshelf speakers. As far as I can see, the made-for-computer-stuff is just not up to snuff at the moment.

Dec 3, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 39
Agree with the ugly comedian. Its simply better to buy a bookshelves speakers.

Even Sonic T-amp and Insignia speakers are good choice. plus a 12v adaptor and some cables. that should still be at $100 or less.

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just moved out from my parents' place and I (desperately) need speakers. Space constraints have meant that my old floorstanders, amp, CD player, etc have been left behind so I'd like to buy a pair of 2.1 PC speakers.

What do you guys think of Logitech's Z-2300 vs ProMedia GMX A-2.1 (the original PM 2.1 isn't made for Australian voltages) vs Altec MX5021?

I'd consider offerings from JBL and Harman Kardon too, though they're not as aggressively priced here as the others. Any other speakers would likely be too difficult / expensive to buy here in Australia.

95% of the speakers usage would be for music.

Thanks in advance for the tips.

My advice, don't get any of those multimedia speakers. You do nothing with those paper weights
biggrin.gif

Any reason for subwoofer ?
This may sound harsh but in those "computer 2.1 speakers" there are no subwoofers, it's "add-on bass". I'd call subwoofer a subwoofer when it would play down to 20hz and would be able to give soundpressure.
basshead.gif

If you would be listening to them at so called near field then I'd recommend you some active monitors. There are good brands like Dynaudio Acoustics and Quested, well Genelec and Mackie too might be neat.

But you could help yourself and tell us the price range.

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 39
I've heard both the Logitech and Klipsch and bought the latter for my parents as a gift. Klipsch are somewhat better but as the previous responses state, they are nowhere near the sound quality you can get out of a good pair of bookshelves and an amp. I use a Denon UDM-50 with Mission M70's with my computer and it's miles ahead of 2.1 computer speaker system I've heard. Right now the M70's are ridiculously cheap in the US:

http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.sto...duct/View/2191

If you really want the 2.1 solution, these may be worth auditioning since Monitor Audio typically make very good speakers, decent price too:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MOIDECK

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 39
Dec 3, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 39
i recommend the M-Audio DX4

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #11 of 39
I've owned the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and 5.1. They were fine computer speakers, but I also had a B&W/Arcam system in the next room for actual music listening. I think you would be able to get much better performance from a bookshelf system, even if you don't go expensive. I had a friend with a Denon/Mission setup that was nice-sounding without getting too expensive.

I used M-Audio's 2.1 monitors last generation, which I found too expensive for their performance. They offered power in place of any kind of enjoyable musical traits. I now use Dynaudio Acoustics BM6A (A for Active). They're rather expensive but also rather excellent, and capable of going loud. I use a Benchmark DAC-1 to feed them, which is an alright source (pre-amp-wise. DAC-wise it's quite good).

If monitors appeal to you, I would also look at Blue Sky. I haven't heard them, but they are on my list for my next change-up.

And I've also heard good things about the Aego M. I owned a Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 setup, and if you come across them in your looking, I recommend passing.

Good luck with your search.

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #14 of 39
I used altec lansing mx5021, compared em to both, the logitech and the klipsch systems. Logitec - out of the league, don't bother. Klipsch - louder, Altec - better sound and much more controlled bass. All the people in dorms were impressed with my set more than anyone else's around, so it wasn't just me.

And altec ones will give you enough volume to easily send your neighbors to your door with a shotgun.

Dec 4, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #15 of 39
I would say go with either Logitech or Altec Lansing. I can't vouch for Klipsch. But really, why would you use comp spker to listen to music? if you just want to watch movie play game, then Logitech would get my vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back