pc setup advice (harddisc>pc>dacmagic>wa2) USB or S/PDIF?
Oct 28, 2009 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

librarian

500+ Head-Fier
I have decided to buy a Dacmagic. I have my music on external harddiscs in FLAC connected to my pc. Currently I just connect my Woo Audio wa2 amp to the 3,5 mm output on the front of my laptop (Lifebook). I guess adding a DAC will be a real winner...right?

But how should I connect this DAC?

First: I don't think, that my pc has a toslink output.

Second: Is the 3,5 mm output in the front of my laptop=s/pdif?

Third: how will usb work?

I have read, that USB will bypass my laptops internal soundcard, and that it should be a very good thing to do that.

On the other hand, I have read that s/pdif delivers a better signal but does not bypass the internal soundcard.

So which is worst?

PS: I use Foobar to just drag&drop and play

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 20
1)are you using pc and laptop to describe the same device?
2)you need to look up the specs, sometimes the 3.5mm plug is a double for an optical output.
3)cable from usb->dac. select proper output device but basically: just follow instructions and you'll be fine.

I think I've read some measurements where USB has more 'jitter' than SPDIF with the DacMagic, but how audible it is highly debated and only you can tell for yourself.
anyway, if you don't have onboard optical out, you'll need that USB cable anyway as you'll need an USB->S/PDIF converter (I've got a Teralink-X I don't use
wink.gif
)

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 20
Thanks, paaj. Yes, PC/laptop, same thing to me. It's a laptop, though. Fujitsu Lifebook E8310. I can't find anything useful in the specs. It just says, that the 3,5mm plug is a headphone out. But is that what everyone calls SPDIF? Or is SPDIF another thing? And that's what I need a converter for? (I'm a total ignorant here, ok :)

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 20
SPDIF is something different. It's a digital signal (optical, so 'light-based' in most cases) that needs to be converted to an analogue signal in a DAC like the DacMagic. If your specs don't talk about either SPDIF or optical you most likely don't have it.
The 3.5mm output you have is already an analogue signal that can go directly to headphone/amp whatever.

this means you can go the easy route and just connect your upcoming DacMagic with the USB cable, or you can put a converter in between to use the optical input. Something like this
Then you can connect the converter with an USB cable to your PC, select the output in Windows settings, and use an optical cable to connect to the DacMagic.

You will need the USB cable anyway, so connect that first and see how you like it. Optical cable can be a little bit clearer, but difference should not be big.

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 20
Using Windows? Just check under your sound properties, see if there's an output labeled SPDIF. If you do, then it's definitely doable, most likely with a 3.5mm to Toslink adapter.

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 20
Ah, I just don't have it. What a relief. I was getting so confused, turning and tossing my machine upside down and around to look for coaxial, spdif, optical ****...

So: if I use usb, I will bypass my laptops internal sound card, right? Also if I use usb and then converts the signal to digital/optical?

Furthermore: if this statement is true:

"The DacMagic USB input does not support native high resolution files at 24/96" (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/Ca...acMagic-Review)

...and if that's a bad thing - then the solution with laptop>usb>usb-spdif converter>dac must be the best of all, right?

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 20
If you use USB, you bypass the onboard sound
If you use USB, the DacMagic USB input is limited to 16 bits/48 kHz max.
You can’t play a higher resolution.
If you want to play high res, native mode USB audio supports 24 bits/96 kHz max.
As this DAC don’t supports this over USB, you need a USB-SPDIF converter.
If we assume that in principle 24/96 sounds better than 16/41.1 (CD), a lousy converter can make 24/96 sounds worse than straight 16/44.1 over the USB to the DAC.
Mind you, we are talking implementations, not principles

You might consider buying a DAC supporting 24/96 over USB.

More details:
USB-DACs
USB - SPDIF

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 20
Thanks Roseval, this cleared up some issues for me! I think maybe it would be overkill to go for a dac supporting 24 bits over usb. Dacmagic seems to be a nice product - and at a reasonable price. The laptop setup is my secondary hifi setup, my primary being vinyl :)

But while some cd's are 24 bit, I still wonder how much difference there is between 16 and 24 bit, when the Dacmagic upsamples everything to 24/192?

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But while some cd's are 24 bit, I still wonder how much difference there is between 16 and 24 bit, when the Dacmagic upsamples everything to 24/192?

No, a CD is always 16 bits/ 44.1 kHz (Redbook audio)
If not, it won't play.
Most recordings are done using 24 bits and a higher sample rate (88.2 / 96).
16 bits allows for 2^16=65536 different values. 2^24=16777216 values.
In principle 24 bits gives a better resolution.
Playing 16 bits audio on a 24 bit DAC is simply adding 8 zero's to the signal.
Adding zero's will not improve the resolution

The Well Tempered Computer

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #11 of 20
Ok. So when a record is "24 bit remastered", it has nothing to do with the bits on the cd? But then why should a 24 bit recording be better than a 16 bit recording, when played on a 16 bit cd-player or dac?

Too many loose ends here. Maybe I should look more into some reading stuff. But for now, I think I'll just use USB and plug and play. Real easy is good :)

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

So when a record is "24 bit remastered", it has nothing to do with the bits on the cd?

Correct, this is about the equipment used in the studio.

You always need some headroom when recording as you can’t predict the loudest passage. Record at 16 bits with 12 dB headroom (1 bits is approximately 6 dB) means you are recording with a 16-2=14 bits resolution. Do the same with 24 bits and you have a 22 bits resolution.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #13 of 20
So in this case the 16 bit recording ends up being 14 bits on the cd? And the 24 bit recording ends up at 16? If so, the difference is not that big, afterall... Or what am I missing?

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 20
. . . via USB should sound great. I use Foobar or XX Highend via USB out, to DacMagic, to Woo Audio 3, to AKG 701 (also to the power amp and speakers). It sounds great. I may yet experiment with other solutions, but honestly, I doubt that the improvement will be substantial.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So in this case the 16 bit recording ends up being 14 bits on the cd? And the 24 bit recording ends up at 16? If so, the difference is not that big, afterall... Or what am I missing?

Everything I'm afraid.

A CD contains sample represented by 16 bit word.
If one uses 16 bit recording and uses 2 bits headroom, one is effectively sampling with 14 bits, that is a bit low.
If one uses 24 bit recording and uses 2 bits headroom, one is effectively sampling with 22 bits, so a better resolution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back