PC GAMING: Audio Technica AD700 + X-Fi Titanium VS Logitech g930
Nov 5, 2010 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

inVinnieVeritas

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

Just went to the process of upgrading my audio on my Alienware PC by adding a X-Fi Titanium sound card and Creative Gigaworks T3 2.1 speakers.
Now not to alienate any further my neighbors at night I am looking for a pair of headphones for nocturnal gaming sessions.

I was wondering what you think would be the best option for me in the 150€ and under bracket?

Would I be better off buying Audio Technica's AD700 or Sennheiser HD-555 Stereo headphones with my X-Fi Titanium sound card or buy a dedicated 5.1/7.1 Gaming headphone set like the very popular Logitech G930?

All ideas and comments greatly appreciated!

Vince

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 12
If you don't mind a lack of bass, the AD700s will suit you quite well for gaming.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 12
Gaming headsets don't really emphasis sound quality, if that is what you are after.  They generally just offer an attached microphone and are headsets that will do the job at a good price.

Using a wireless headset might negate the improved sound you gain from a dedicated soundcard.

If positional sound is what you are after, then the ad700 would be a good choice.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
The ad700 is easily EQ'ed to give as much bass as you want.  Especially if you're using a computer source.  

I didn't particularly care for the 'bass' the AD700s have with EQ. Not all headphones can deal with adding some bass. I found the AD700 to sound somewhat off with bass boosting. I liked the as bass light as they were anyway. I had other headphones for when I needed bass anyway.

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 12
The AD700s sound like tin cans when it comes to bass. From a 1-10, the bass of the AD700 is a 1. No lie. You can HEAR it, but it's pretty weak. Otherwise, the AD700s are really crisp and one of the very best in directional positioning (with Dolby Headphone). I myself never play without DH Virtual Surround, so I dunno how well they do in stereo, as the few times I have tried I was aching to go back to DH. I'd die if I have to give up DH for regular stereo.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 12
One thing I will say is that I only notice the lack of bass on the ad700's when I'm listening to music.  In games I don't notice it because their lack of bass lets me concentrate more on where footsteps are and not how cool that explosion sounded.  

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 12
I have the 555s but not the ad-700s. It's pretty much a trade off between the 2, 555s = smaller sound stage but better bass, 700s = huge sound stage but less bass. I say that the 555s have a great sound stage for gaming still thats why I like them

Dec 26, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
I have the 555s but not the ad-700s. It's pretty much a trade off between the 2, 555s = smaller sound stage but better bass, 700s = huge sound stage but less bass. I say that the 555s have a great sound stage for gaming still thats why I like them

they sound horrible in games like counter strike though.. (the 555s)... such muddy overpowering bass.. horrible! my A900 are so much better for games i am thinking about investing in some AD700!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back