PC Gamer Looking for Suggestions
Nov 29, 2014 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Rhinoe

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I have been using this website for some months now, mostly using Mad Lust Envy's and Nameless's guides. Although, I am still overwhelmed by my options and I have a huge lack of understanding in what I need (desktop amps, dac, etc).

Basically, I was hoping to get some suggestions on how I could get the most for my money and achieve some solid audio for my needs. I am looking to throw some money at this and be done with it, so I am hoping to get it right the first time. I mostly play RPG's and racing simulators; I play shooters as well, but those two genres constitute the bulk of my time. When I game, I predominately listen to EDM. Finally, while I have never used open ear headphones, I know that this would be my preference.

At this point in time I am using a pair of CALs! and an external Creative sound blaster x-fi USB sound card. I was considering these options:

Sound card:

http://www.amazon.com/Blaster-Performance-Headphone-Forming-Microphone/dp/B009ISU33E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417268908&sr=1-1&keywords=creative+sound+blaster+z

or

http://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-XONAR-ESSENCE-STX-90-YAA0C0-0UAN00Z/dp/B001OV789U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417268998&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+pci-express+x1

Headphones:

http://www.amazon.com/Open-Air-Headphones-MDR-MA900-Japanese-Imports/dp/B007R99S14/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417269029&sr=1-1&keywords=mdr-ma900

or 

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio-K712PRO-Headphones/dp/B00E4WXWBE

or 

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K702-65th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B00A8LZ5GU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417269083&sr=1-1&keywords=k712

I don't have a budget in mind and other suggestions are appreciated. I also do not know if any other peripherals are needed to drive some of these headphones.

Thank you to anyone who can help me out with this.

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 18
The K702 65th Anniversary isn't worth that price.  The K7xx has the same drivers and goes for $200, although you'd have to wait until February to get one.  The K712 Pro should be a step up over both.

I don't know much about the MA900 but the K702 65th Anniversary/K7xx and K712 Pro are supposed to be neutral headphones, with the former known to be slightly more laid back than other AKGs.  If neutral and expansive sound staging is what you want, they should be good choices.  If you want a decent sound stage and heavier bass, look into the Philips Fidelio X2. 

You might be better off getting a Schiit Modi + Magni and using the free Razer Surround software, which is often said to be the best virtual surround solution anyway.  What kind of RPGs do you play?  The classic cRPGs will actually benefit strongly from an older Creative X-Fi sound card like the Titanium HD, otherwise I probably wouldn't recommend a sound card.

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 18
  I have been using this website for some months now, mostly using Mad Lust Envy's and Nameless's guides. Although, I am still overwhelmed by my options and I have a huge lack of understanding in what I need (desktop amps, dac, etc).
Basically, I was hoping to get some suggestions on how I could get the most for my money and achieve some solid audio for my needs. I am looking to throw some money at this and be done with it, so I am hoping to get it right the first time. I mostly play RPG's and racing simulators; I play shooters as well, but those two genres constitute the bulk of my time. When I game, I predominately listen to EDM. Finally, while I have never used open ear headphones, I know that this would be my preference.
At this point in time I am using a pair of CALs! and an external Creative sound blaster x-fi USB sound card. I was considering these options:
Sound card:
http://www.amazon.com/Blaster-Performance-Headphone-Forming-Microphone/dp/B009ISU33E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417268908&sr=1-1&keywords=creative+sound+blaster+z
http://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-XONAR-ESSENCE-STX-90-YAA0C0-0UAN00Z/dp/B001OV789U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417268998&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+pci-express+x1
Headphones:
http://www.amazon.com/Open-Air-Headphones-MDR-MA900-Japanese-Imports/dp/B007R99S14/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417269029&sr=1-1&keywords=mdr-ma900
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio-K712PRO-Headphones/dp/B00E4WXWBE
 http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K702-65th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B00A8LZ5GU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417269083&sr=1-1&keywords=k712
I don't have a budget in mind and other suggestions are appreciated. I also do not know if any other peripherals are needed to drive some of these headphones.

I prefer the Asus control panel over the Creative Labs control panel.
also the STX has a better DAC chip and headphone amplifier, then the SB-Z.
You can get a used STX for $130
I've tested the SB-Z and it really offers a lot for it's low price.
It might come down to if you prefer Dolby Headphone (STX) or SBX Headphone (SB-Z) surround sound.

The MA900s seem to offer really good bass and everything else about their sound gets positive reviews.
The AKGs should provide you with a big sound stage and in general nice sound quality.
But as I've never listed to any of these headphones, my option on them is pure guess work (and repeating what overs have said).

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 18
  The K702 65th Anniversary isn't worth that price.  The K7xx has the same drivers and goes for $200, although you'd have to wait until February to get one.  The K712 Pro should be a step up over both.

I don't know much about the MA900 but the K702 65th Anniversary/K7xx and K712 Pro are supposed to be neutral headphones, with the former known to be slightly more laid back than other AKGs.  If neutral and expansive sound staging is what you want, they should be good choices.  If you want a decent sound stage and heavier bass, look into the Philips Fidelio X2. 

You might be better off getting a Schiit Modi + Magni and using the free Razer Surround software, which is often said to be the best virtual surround solution anyway.  What kind of RPGs do you play?  The classic cRPGs will actually benefit strongly from an older Creative X-Fi sound card like the Titanium HD, otherwise I probably wouldn't recommend a sound card.

I actually just came across those K7XX today and I could hardly believe the price. I am patient enough to wait until February if that is the choice I make. I play more recent RPG's and recent MMO's like Elder Scrolls Online; I am also a casual World of Warcraft player. I am really into car games such as Grid, Assetto Corsa, Dirt, and I will be interested in the upcoming Crew MMO. I do like some bass as I love the way the cars sound with bass heavy headphones and it is also nice for EDM, but I wouldn't say that bass is as huge a priority as a natural sound, expansive sound stage, and open design, for me.

I prefer the Asus control panel over the Creative Labs control panel.
also the STX has a better DAC chip and headphone amplifier, then the SB-Z.
You can get a used STX for $130
I've tested the SB-Z and it really offers a lot for it's low price.
It might come down to if you prefer Dolby Headphone (STX) or SBX Headphone (SB-Z) surround sound.

The MA900s seem to offer really good bass and everything else about their sound gets positive reviews.
The AKGs should provide you with a big sound stage and in general nice sound quality.
But as I've never listed to any of these headphones, my option on them is pure guess work (and repeating what overs have said).

I guess I just don't know the difference between Dolby Headphone and SBX Headphone. The amp and dac tied into the Asus STX sounded very appealing, with my interest in these headphones, but I am not sure if this would benefit me with what I am looking at in headphones (?).

I feel many prefer the AKG in regards to sound staging, which is very important to me. It seems that if it came down to it, with AKG, I should be looking at the K7XX and the AKG K712 Pro? As I can grab the K7XX for $200, are the K712 Pro worth their cost of $362 in comparison?

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 18
Both Dolby Headphone and SBX Surround serve the same purpose, as does Razer Surround.  I think, especially with your game choices, you should get something like the Schiit Modi + Magni instead of a sound card, and use Razer Surround.  You can try Razer Surround any time you like to see if you like it.

You could look into comparisons between the K702 (especially the K702 65th Anniversary Edition since the K7xx is basically this) and the K712 Pro, I haven't heard either so I don't know how big the differences are.  The Philips Fidelio X2 seems to meet your requirements too, you probably can't go wrong with any of the three. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 18
  Both Dolby Headphone and SBX Surround serve the same purpose, as does Razer Surround.  I think, especially with your game choices, you should get something like the Schiit Modi + Magni instead of a sound card, and use Razer Surround.  You can try Razer Surround any time you like to see if you like it.

You could look into comparisons between the K702 (especially the K702 65th Anniversary Edition since the K7xx is basically this) and the K712 Pro, I haven't heard either so I don't know how big the differences are.  The Philips Fidelio X2 seems to meet your requirements too, you probably can't go wrong with any of the three. 

I will check out Razer Surround right now. I have been seeing a lot on the Modi+Magni here, but I know very little about them; Why would these be ideal over a sound card?

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 18

I will check out Razer Surround right now. I have been seeing a lot on the Modi+Magni here, but I know very little about them; Why would these be ideal over a sound card?

Modi + Magni will indeed offer better sound quality (specifically in music) than a sound card.

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 18
  I actually just came across those K7XX today and I could hardly believe the price. I am patient enough to wait until February if that is the choice I make. I play more recent RPG's and recent MMO's like Elder Scrolls Online; I am also a casual World of Warcraft player. I am really into car games such as Grid, Assetto Corsa, Dirt, and I will be interested in the upcoming Crew MMO. I do like some bass as I love the way the cars sound with bass heavy headphones and it is also nice for EDM, but I wouldn't say that bass is as huge a priority as a natural sound, expansive sound stage, and open design, for me.

I guess I just don't know the difference between Dolby Headphone and SBX Headphone. The amp and dac tied into the Asus STX sounded very appealing, with my interest in these headphones, but I am not sure if this would benefit me with what I am looking at in headphones (?).
I feel many prefer the AKG in regards to sound staging, which is very important to me. It seems that if it came down to it, with AKG, I should be looking at the K7XX and the AKG K712 Pro? As I can grab the K7XX for $200, are the K712 Pro worth their cost of $362 in comparison?

If your willing to wait (until Feb), then go ahead an order the AKG KXX (I ordered my last week and I can wait).
There is always an outside chance that the ones ordered for February will arrive early.
If the orders on the KXX slow way down, AKG may not think it's worth it to make separate batch and manufacture all the KXX in December (current orders are at 2450).
The AKGs may not have as loud a bass you might be looking for, but i guess it will be a quality bass.

You could get the Modi (optical) DAC and Magni amp and connect the Modi to your motherboard's on-board audio, for now.
Then you have some time to think about going for Dolby or SBX.

Does your USB X-Fi have an optical output, you might be able to connect the Modi to it.

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 18

If your willing to wait (until Feb), then go ahead an order the AKG KXX (I ordered my last week and I can wait).
There is always an outside chance that the ones ordered for February will arrive early.
If the orders on the KXX slow way down, AKG may not think it's worth it to make separate batch and manufacture all the KXX in December (current orders are at 2450).
The AKGs may not have as loud a bass you might be looking for, but i guess it will be a quality bass.

You could get the Modi (optical) DAC and Magni amp and connect the Modi to your motherboard's on-board audio, for now.
Then you have some time to think about going for Dolby or SBX.

Does your USB X-Fi have an optical output, you might be able to connect the Modi to it.

Yeah, this USB card does have an optical. So perhaps that in conjunction with a Modi and Magni, using Dolby Digital Live. I am definitely considering those KXX, it seems like an amazing value.

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 18

Yeah, this USB card does have an optical. So perhaps that in conjunction with a Modi and Magni, using Dolby Digital Live. I am definitely considering those KXX, it seems like an amazing value.

With the Modi connected optically to the USB Creative sound card, you should not have a need to use DDL (Dolby Digital Live).
The USB Creative X-Fi only need to output a 2-channel PCM digital audio signal thru the optical, to the Modi.
DDL would be use if you needed to output more then 2-channels.

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 18

With the Modi connected optically to the USB Creative sound card, you should not have a need to use DDL (Dolby Digital Live).
The USB Creative X-Fi only need to output a 2-channel PCM digital audio signal thru the optical, to the Modi.
DDL would be use if you needed to output more then 2-channels.

^ This, Dolby Digital Live is for multichannel surround systems.  You should be able to use X-Fi CMSS-3D though, which is its virtual surround solution (does the same thing as Razer Surround, SBX Surround, Dolby Headphone).

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 18
I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but when I use Razer Surround in conjunction with my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, I do not hear a difference.

I will definitely be picking up a Modi and Magni, but I will have to give the headphones more consideration. The Philips Fidelio were ones I had overlooked, but they look like another great option.

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #15 of 18
  I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but when I use Razer Surround in conjunction with my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, I do not hear a difference.

I will definitely be picking up a Modi and Magni, but I will have to give the headphones more consideration. The Philips Fidelio were ones I had overlooked, but they look like another great option.

Disable X-Fi CMSS-3D, enable Razer Surround.  I think Windows is meant to be set to stereo and the game in question should be set to 7.1?  It has been a while since I used it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back