PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Apr 29, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #9,091 of 9,120
You'd be better off setting your C:\User folder there...a LOT less headaches.
Oh, and I take it doesn't allow you to extend say, the already existent C:/, but forces you to create a D:/ and such.

I don't think you can over this if the windows parition manager doesn't allow you.

I usually extend those at windows install and I keep all important data on separate disks, but in your situation, maybe the only real solution would be to use another partition, or to reinstall windows.

I think it works for any partition if it is not the windows partition, I remember being able to force it on D:/ as long as windows wasn't installed on it, and I remember somehow having forced it on C:/ as well at some point, but I vaguely remember having used a linux bootable as it doesn't see C:/ as the boot disk and allowed for this. At any rate, it will be tricky :)
Yeah just creating another partition would be much easier.

I've considered using GParted to do all the partition manipulation but I have a feeling that neither OSes will boot if I move Ubuntu to the end and extend the Windows partition.

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #9,092 of 9,120
Yeah just creating another partition would be much easier.

I've considered using GParted to do all the partition manipulation but I have a feeling that neither OSes will boot if I move Ubuntu to the end and extend the Windows partition.

Technically you could use gparted to create a two partitions in the free area one that exactly matches the Ubuntu partition at the end and the other area before it as a NTFS (to ensure that nothing wonky happens), boot with a livecd, rsync the original Ubuntu partition to the new one, write down the GUID, reboot into Windows, delete the original Ubuntu partition and new NTFS, expand the Windows partition, reboot with the live cd and change the GUID in your grub.cfg.

Lots and lots of places for things to go wrong though...

Apr 29, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #9,093 of 9,120
Technically you could use gparted to create a two partitions in the free area one that exactly matches the Ubuntu partition at the end and the other area before it as a NTFS (to ensure that nothing wonky happens), boot with a livecd, rsync the original Ubuntu partition to the new one, write down the GUID, reboot into Windows, delete the original Ubuntu partition and new NTFS, expand the Windows partition, reboot with the live cd and change the GUID in your grub.cfg.

^ Another (very similar) way to do this:
  • Create partitions at the end of the free space
  • Use clonezilla livecd to copy the non-NTFS partitions to the newly created ones
  • Install grub on the new system partition (can use livecd or by booting into original system)
  • Edit the guid's in /etc/fstab, /boot/grub/menu.lst (new system partition). Can get guid with blkid
  • Boot into Windows, delete original partitions, expand disk
  • Finished

May 1, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #9,094 of 9,120

^ Another (very similar) way to do this:
  • Create partitions at the end of the free space
  • Use clonezilla livecd to copy the non-NTFS partitions to the newly created ones
  • Install grub on the new system partition (can use livecd or by booting into original system)
  • Edit the guid's in /etc/fstab, /boot/grub/menu.lst (new system partition). Can get guid with blkid
  • Boot into Windows, delete original partitions, expand disk
  • Finished
Ah well, this was the easiest method

Screenshot.png

Apr 7, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #9,095 of 9,120
Almost forgot about this thread.

2213E6D8-B30C-435D-BAFF-EA7AE1EC2DB9.png

Anyway, I’ve got three “new“ PC builds in the oven. Two of them AMD! One of them was half out of “necessity”; none of the B450 motherboards I looked at were guaranteed to support 3rd Gen Ryzen out of the box (in fact I don’t think any of them do), and needed a BIOS upgrade with an older chip installed. Didn’t want to pay the computer store for the extra work and didn’t want to take AMD up on their “Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit”. So you know, one thing led to another...

Apr 7, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #9,096 of 9,120
Almost forgot about this thread.

2213E6D8-B30C-435D-BAFF-EA7AE1EC2DB9.png

Anyway, I’ve got three “new“ PC builds in the oven. Two of them AMD! One of them was half out of “necessity”; none of the B450 motherboards I looked at were guaranteed to support 3rd Gen Ryzen out of the box (in fact I don’t think any of them do), and needed a BIOS upgrade with an older chip installed. Didn’t want to pay the computer store for the extra work and didn’t want to take AMD up on their “Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit”. So you know, one thing led to another...
In a little under a month and it would have been 2 years since someone last replied! :D

FC729F4C-83EF-4613-9FFF-EF7E72AD2B74.png

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #9,097 of 9,120
In a little under a month and it would have been 2 years since someone last replied! :D

FC729F4C-83EF-4613-9FFF-EF7E72AD2B74.png
I couldn't wait that long

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #9,099 of 9,120
These were the days. I been off Head-Fi for something like 3 or 4 years now. What it do?
Were you around when Head-Fi transitioned from Huddler to XenForo?

Apr 16, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #9,101 of 9,120
As seen on The Verge’s PC build video!

A3C9D57E-F0A1-4091-9689-175E179B3B70.jpeg

I don’t have a table, so I guess that means I can’t build a PC.

Apr 23, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #9,104 of 9,120
For anyone interested, I just completed my new ITX PC build which I love to death. This is my other (very) expensive hobby other than audiophil-ia (?!)

Build page: https://builds.gg/builds/glacier-v2-1-31946

Glacier_v2.1_01.jpgGlacier_v2.1_06.jpg
Very nice. I kinda wish I had gone the mini ITX route myself, but I liked my Fractal Define Mini too much. Currently rocking 4 x 3.5" HDDs + 1 x ODD and am too stubborn to give them up.

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #9,105 of 9,120
Very nice. I kinda wish I had gone the mini ITX route myself, but I liked my Fractal Define Mini too much. Currently rocking 4 x 3.5" HDDs + 1 x ODD and am too stubborn to give them up.
One day I decided to remove all spinning disks from my build and oh my gawd, the world is so quiet now. ;u;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back