PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Feb 3, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #9,077 of 9,120
Shut down computer, unplug power, pull out the cmos battery (motherboard battery) then spam the start button. Then, put the battery back in and plug everything in then start computer.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #9,078 of 9,120
I am an avid fan and collector of vintage (2008 and before) Thinkpads. Anything W520 and before, as that's when they still had the good keyboard.

I have 2 T61 running FreeBSD, a T61 that went to Heaven for parts, an X61 running FreeBSD that serves as my .mp3 player and music source for my vintag4e stereo system. A W520 I usually run OpenBSD on, but am right now using my Win10Pro drive in to play Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (and just got a 500 page game guide for it).

My most recent acquisition is an IBM Thinkpad T43 running OpenBSD which now serves as my text editor. It's a pleasure to type on, and you're not a real Thinkpad collector unless you have an IBM machine. :)

I don't have any full shots of them, but I do have screenshots of the T61 I'm on now, and the X61 and T43 with 4:3 screen ratio:

daemonshot.png

odonlife.png

unsu.png

I did that Daemons wallpaper and have it and other non-OS specific images for download at my site, including some Thinkpad wallpapers.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #9,083 of 9,120
BTW, I finally completed my PC build

Took like... 10 hours to put together (?)

8700K, 32 GB DDR4 at 2400 MHz, in Raven iTX case.
No gpu? No overclock?

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #9,085 of 9,120
4.8 GHz, but still experimenting on CPU, H55 from Corsair with custom slim Cryorig fan

GPU is the strongest I was able to find, need it for my projects...
yes but what gpu?

Apr 28, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #9,086 of 9,120
So I cloned an SSD that contained a Windows partition and some Ubuntu partitions, resulting in some unallocated/free space at the end of the drive. How do I move that unallocated space from the very end to in between the Windows and Ubuntu partition?

Screenshot from 2018-04-29 07-47-55.png

Apr 28, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #9,087 of 9,120
So I cloned an SSD that contained a Windows partition and some Ubuntu partitions, resulting in some unallocated/free space at the end of the drive. How do I move that unallocated space from the very end to in between the Windows and Ubuntu partition?

You want to move the phsyical space?

The typical TRIM and such algorithms that SSDs do don't really allow you to move things physically, they chose the best location based on which flash cells are least written and have most life remaining, so the SSD wears evenly.

Apr 28, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #9,088 of 9,120
You want to move the phsyical space?

The typical TRIM and such algorithms that SSDs do don't really allow you to move things physically, they chose the best location based on which flash cells are least written and have most life remaining, so the SSD wears evenly.
Not physically, I want to move it logically. What I actually want to do is extend the NTFS partition using that unallocated space.

Apr 29, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #9,090 of 9,120
Not physically, I want to move it logically. What I actually want to do is extend the NTFS partition using that unallocated space.

Oh, and I take it doesn't allow you to extend say, the already existent C:/, but forces you to create a D:/ and such.

I don't think you can over this if the windows parition manager doesn't allow you.

I usually extend those at windows install and I keep all important data on separate disks, but in your situation, maybe the only real solution would be to use another partition, or to reinstall windows.

I think it works for any partition if it is not the windows partition, I remember being able to force it on D:/ as long as windows wasn't installed on it, and I remember somehow having forced it on C:/ as well at some point, but I vaguely remember having used a linux bootable as it doesn't see C:/ as the boot disk and allowed for this. At any rate, it will be tricky :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back