PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Mar 20, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #8,911 of 9,120
We ever talk about phones here? I'm in the market to replace my M7, and mi parents said they may be getting me a S7, but knowing Samsung and T-Mobile, it's gonna have a schiit ton of bloatware. Should I CyanogenMod it? I know it's probably much more unstable than just stock Android, but it cleans up the phone down to the bones.

Oneplus Two?

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #8,912 of 9,120

Why not note series? They might provide better performance and are not so full of bloatware. This if you like the bigger screen. 

I think that there are threads dedicated to smartphones, and I was part of one until getting my htx820 and being happy with it. We even getting latest Android on it. I would continue HTC mid end smartphones. 

2big4me. The new M-series stuff kinda sucks. Love the externals, but everything else is meh.
Oneplus Two?

A little bigger, but the lack of things like cases and such, eh. It looks appealing, but just the amount of bits and pieces available on the market is just too small. Had to deal with that with my current phone. Thanks for reminding me that OnePlus exists though.

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #8,913 of 9,120
You should probably know that Samsung phones since the S6 have significantly cut down on bloatware/useless features and the new S7 TouchWiz UI is easily the best one so far. 
biggrin.gif

The reservations I have for choosing other comparable spec, but cheaper phones is that fact they won't have so much modding support or room for software upgrading and sometimes can even be an absolute pain to root. The Samsung Galaxy series always had the most support when it came to unofficial Android upgrades/modding and ease of rooting.

You really can't go wrong with the S7. 
smile.gif

On the other hand, the stock phone is probably going to be fine for most people unless you really prefer that Nexus-style stock Android. I think I spent more time overall with software/firmware mods than I actually used my past S5... which is a problem. Now I don't even bother with mods because it's another time waster. 
tongue_smile.gif

The only point that remotely matters in my opinion is undervolting and underclocking to get more battery life, but yeah you might trade stability which isn't good. 
frown.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #8,914 of 9,120
Guys, between a 5820K and a 6700K you have told me to go with the former for editing and the latter for gaming. And that LGA 2011 is in its final days and not upgradable anymore, but wouldn't an overclocked 5820 matched or even above the 4.0ghz of the 6700 make it a better cpu for me to have; both for gaming and video editing? I mean, 3.3ghz are overclockable, but I can't add 2 cores to the 6700, am I right here?

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #8,915 of 9,120
Guys, between a 5820K and a 6700K you have told me to go with the former for editing and the latter for gaming. And that LGA 2011 is in its final days and not upgradable anymore, but wouldn't an overclocked 5820 matched or even above the 4.0ghz of the 6700 make it a better cpu for me to have; both for gaming and video editing? I mean, 3.3ghz are overclockable, but I can't add 2 cores to the 6700, am I right here?

I would go with 6700K as the socket would allow for more upgrade options in the future. Not to mention that 6700K can touch 4.5GHz in one or two laptops these days, so with very good cooling, you could touch 5GHz in desktop. 

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #8,916 of 9,120

No, not really...! 
frown.gif

The 6700K has slightly better performance-per-clock, so even at the same clock speeds, the 6700K will be slightly faster. Also, the single threaded performance of the 6700K is a fair margin better than the 5820K, which means that most games and most applications which aren't optimized to use all 6 cores and 12 threads will favor the 6700k more.

But if you want to work, most productivity programs will greatly utilize the extra 2 cores and 4 threads and will help you out quite a bit with rendering times. There's always going to be a trade-off, but personally... I would go with the 6700K for the newer socket and future upgrade-ability. 
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #8,917 of 9,120
You should probably know that Samsung phones since the S6 have significantly cut down on bloatware/useless features and the new S7 TouchWiz UI is easily the best one so far. :D

The reservations I have for choosing other comparable spec, but cheaper phones is that fact they won't have so much modding support or room for software upgrading and sometimes can even be an absolute pain to root. The Samsung Galaxy series always had the most support when it came to unofficial Android upgrades/modding and ease of rooting.

You really can't go wrong with the S7. :smile:

On the other hand, the stock phone is probably going to be fine for most people unless you really prefer that Nexus-style stock Android. I think I spent more time overall with software/firmware mods than I actually used my past S5... which is a problem. Now I don't even bother with mods because it's another time waster. :tongue_smile:  

The only point that remotely matters in my opinion is undervolting and underclocking to get more battery life, but yeah you might trade stability which isn't good. :frowning2:  

On my Note 4 I have CyanogenMod 13. Various issues have popped up. The lack of undervolting/downclocking really bothers me.

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #8,918 of 9,120
I would go with 6700K as the socket would allow for more upgrade options in the future. Not to mention that 6700K can touch 4.5GHz in one or two laptops these days, so with very good cooling, you could touch 5GHz in desktop. 

Would it really be necessary to upgrade a hexa-core CPU clocked at 4.0ghz in the span of 3 years? I do a lot of video editing, and at least for now, LGA1151 caps out at quad-cores.

No, not really...! :frowning2:

The 6700K has slightly better performance-per-clock, so even at the same clock speeds, the 6700K will be slightly faster. Also, the single threaded performance of the 6700K is a fair margin better than the 5820K, which means that most games and most applications which aren't optimized to use all 6 cores and 12 threads will favor the 6700k more.

But if you want to work, most productivity programs will greatly utilize the extra 2 cores and 4 threads and will help you out quite a bit with rendering times. There's always going to be a trade-off, but personally... I would go with the 6700K for the newer socket and future upgrade-ability. :wink:  

"Slightly faster" means what, <5 frames? If that's the case I would prefer to have six cores, really. I mean, isn't the 5820k a beast CPU regardless of how well optimized Skylake is? And I really do a lot of video and photo editing.

What would be your estimate for the life span of a 5820k bought as of now?

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #8,919 of 9,120
Broadwell-E is coming to 2011-v3 so, don't worry too much about that, and - why go mainstream Z170 when for not much more you can go X99 with all the benefits it offers...

I would say though, that if you can save that little bit more, the 5930K offers extra PCI lines (40 total) that then allows 2 x 16x GFX cards, rather than the 16x and 8x combo on the Z170 / Skylake

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #8,920 of 9,120
Broadwell-E is coming to 2011-v3 so, don't worry too much about that, and - why go mainstream Z170 when for not much more you can go X99 with all the benefits it offers...

I would say though, that if you can save that little bit more, the 5930K offers extra PCI lines (40 total) that then allows 2 x 16x GFX cards, rather than the 16x and 8x combo on the Z170 / Skylake

So, go with 2011 :tongue_smile:

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #8,921 of 9,120

Ooops, didn't hear the news on that... in that case, might as well wait for Broadwell-E, which should be coming out very very soon. 
biggrin.gif

Would it really be necessary to upgrade a hexa-core CPU clocked at 4.0ghz in the span of 3 years? I do a lot of video editing, and at least for now, LGA1151 caps out at quad-cores.
"Slightly faster" means what, <5 frames? If that's the case I would prefer to have six cores, really. I mean, isn't the 5820k a beast CPU regardless of how well optimized Skylake is? And I really do a lot of video and photo editing.

What would be your estimate for the life span of a 5820k bought as of now?

Yes it might be beastly, but Haswell-E gaming performance on the 5820k is only about equal to the i7 3770k if you're lucky, and depending on the game.
frown.gif

Why is that you ask? It's because the single threaded performance of the 5820K is almost 40% slower than the single threaded performance of the 6700K, which really matters for games since most don't utilize more than quad cores and some games built on older engines still only make use of dual cores.

That said, the 5820K has almost 20% better total threaded performance over the 6700K, when utilizing the extra 2 cores and 4 threads.

As you can see, having more cores is not plainly "better in every single way". It's actually detrimental to performance in some ways because it tends to lower single threaded performance. The industry has only quite recently adapted and optimized up to quad-core CPUs. So.... if you can't fully make use of the 6 cores/ 12 threads, or not have the software to utilize it, then it's kind of a waste. 
tongue.gif

Broadwell-E should be releasing sometime this month (unless they are delayed...again) and maybe they will perform a lot better than Haswell-E. 
smile.gif

It all comes down to the price you can get on either motherboard and cpu combo, and your specific needs because only you know them best. All I can give is my biased opinions after looking at benchmarks haha

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #8,922 of 9,120
We ever talk about phones here? I'm in the market to replace my M7, and mi parents said they may be getting me a S7, but knowing Samsung and T-Mobile, it's gonna have a schiit ton of bloatware. Should I CyanogenMod it? I know it's probably much more unstable than just stock Android, but it cleans up the phone down to the bones.

What's wrong with bloatware? You can just uninstall or disable bloatware apps and hide them somewhere you can't see.

Installing CyanogenMod will clean up the phone, but you'll also lose stuff like Samsung's proprietary camera drivers that make it so good. In terms of functionality and stability, the Android OEM's factory stock ROM is the usually best if you want your daily driver to be reliable and predictable. The novelty of flashing an aftermarket ROM rarely outweighs the amount of time you have to spend tinkering with things and dealing with bugs and stuff.

Have you considered an iPhone?

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #8,923 of 9,120
What's wrong with bloatware? You can just uninstall or disable bloatware apps and hide them somewhere you can't see.

Installing CyanogenMod will clean up the phone, but you'll also lose stuff like Samsung's proprietary camera drivers that make it so good. In terms of functionality and stability, the Android OEM's factory stock ROM is the usually best if you want your daily driver to be reliable and predictable. The novelty of flashing an aftermarket ROM rarely outweighs the amount of time you have to spend tinkering with things and dealing with bugs and stuff.

Or a Nexus? I love my Nexus 6, I still don't feel the need to upgrade from it.

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #8,924 of 9,120

There's a lot of bloatware non-crucial to the phone that cannot be uninstalled through conventional means (including carrier-specific bloatware), and it obviously takes up a some internal space. And then there's the pointless and silly hidden bloatware services that spontaneously run in the background which are notorious for eating up RAM. Even 2GB of RAM is not enough for a phone these days....

My Galaxy S5 currently idles with nothing running at only 400MB of usable RAM left for applications and multitasking (out of the 2GB). This is a stock ROM, but I can definitely tell you that the RAM usage is much lower on a custom/modded ROM. 
biggrin.gif

Not too keen on Apple's iPhones really. I had the 6 and the 6S, but the greatly limited app store and the app choices compared to Andriod back when I had both the phones, and the lack of customization for IOS plus no expandable storage (and the expensive memory options), lack of removable battery and lack of water proofing combined I kinda hated it because it wasn't worth the high price of the phones. 
frown.gif

The build quality is among the best but, the full body aluminum isn't practical for me as it just makes the phone heavier. And if you buy a case to protect the phone anyway, it makes the aluminum pointless with the phone being even more heavy. Not to mention the body to screen size ratio on iPhones have never been the best, compared to say, LG's Optimus/G series.

Supposedly the iPhone 7 might come out with the headphone jack omitted too, which is really not a consumer friendly choice if they force us to use an additional adapter all the time, or use bluetooth and battery powered headphones which I haven't heard of any that sounds great yet..

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #8,925 of 9,120

There's a lot of bloatware non-crucial to the phone that cannot be uninstalled through conventional means (including carrier-specific bloatware), and it obviously takes up a some internal space. And then there's the pointless and silly hidden bloatware services that spontaneously run in the background which are notorious for eating up RAM. Even 2GB of RAM is not enough for a phone these days....

My Galaxy S5 currently idles with nothing running at only 400MB of usable RAM left for applications and multitasking (out of the 2GB). This is a stock ROM, but I can definitely tell you that the RAM usage is much lower on a custom/modded ROM. 
biggrin.gif

Not too keen on Apple's iPhones really. I had the 6 and the 6S, but the greatly limited app store and the app choices compared to Andriod back when I had both the phones, and the lack of customization for IOS plus no expandable storage (and the expensive memory options), lack of removable battery and lack of water proofing combined I kinda hated it because it wasn't worth the high price of the phones. 
frown.gif

The build quality is among the best but, the full body aluminum isn't practical for me as it just makes the phone heavier. And if you buy a case to protect the phone anyway, it makes the aluminum pointless with the phone being even more heavy. Not to mention the body to screen size ratio on iPhones have never been the best, compared to say, LG's Optimus/G series.

Supposedly the iPhone 7 might come out with the headphone jack omitted too, which is really not a consumer friendly choice if they force us to use an additional adapter all the time, or use bluetooth and battery powered headphones which I haven't heard of any that sounds great yet..

I would be happy to tell that Bluetooth headphones are getting better. Though, I find them unpractical. 

About iPhones, they have their advantages, but if you want to tweak or play anything, or like free stuff Android is better. There are just so many free stuff in play store, some of which are insanely fun! Not to mention lots of good visual novels.. 

Audio quality wise, people seem to like iPhone, and there are good sounding Android phones, but neither comes close to a Fiio X5 or X5II or X3II, as far as I tested. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back