PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
May 15, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #5,612 of 9,120
i3 Chomebooks? Maybe an i7 Extreme Chromebook. Or a fx-8350 Chromebook.
I wonder how affordable they'll be now!

I was thinking about a XPS 13 w/ Ubuntu for about $1000 but a chromebook is more than enough

Depends on your needs.  I like XBMC more, but most of my friends prefer Plex.
I find it counter intuitive to have to be pushed back in forth between the metro homescreen on a desktop.  Cannot wait for the new start menu.  Afaik tiles can reside in it, which makes it a lot more practical and sensible on a desktop computer.  Very smart move by Microsoft

Potato people should stay on XP

Yup.

i sure don't like windows 8 either. I miss mah start menu.​

StartisBack and Start8 are the best solutions

May 16, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #5,614 of 9,120
Funny that you're all taking about Windows 8... I spent an hour and a half in my schools library which just got some new computers with Windows 8 it was my first time using it but three people came and went during my time there. They all had problems with it two people literally said "what the ******" and "what's this new s**t" the other person got lost in metro or what ever it's called. Heavy sighing occurred. It was pretty funny seeing everyones reaction to Windows 8.

The thing with new things is that it takes people time to learn it and get used to it. That is the biggest issue

HOWEVER, it seems Microsoft seems to bank and believe that that is the only real issue with 8 and 8.1, that people haven't adjusted to the newer way of how things work (integration and full screen always on top style). But no, its not just that. Like Haiburi says, the Metro Apps are a pain in the ass to use for power users(although Microsoft gives power users the option of learning keyboard commands to forgo using or seeing Metro). But all in all, Microsoft is trying to create a middle road for multiple types of users, they aren't doing it poorly but they aren't doing it well either.

They are trying to overlay a fully mobile experience and distinction and put it on the desktop. The naming schemes of new tablets and products show this quite well.

I prefer what Apple is doing in keeping the desktop experience, and pushing mobile products and experiences onto it that helps it blend together (without the user knowing often) in different UI functionality and ways that don't make the desktop experience schiit.

May 16, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #5,615 of 9,120
War Thunder Ground Forces is out for open public

My mini ITX build is ready to rock once I get home.

Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced Mini-ITX Gaming Chasis
CPU: Intel Core i5 Haswell 4430 3GHz CPU (more or less comparable to the 4670/k that everyone likes, but I got mine for $150 less)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition OC'd to 1200MHz Core/1350MHz Memory
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
PSU: OZC ModXStreamPro 700W Modular (only because I am reusing parts)
Mobo: Asrock H81-M ITX Motherboard
SSD: Seagate 600 Series 240GB (leading speeds for its tier)
HDD: Segate 1TB 7200rpm 32MB Cache

May 16, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #5,616 of 9,120
Doesn't everyone hit the start key and start typing in the programme name and just hit enter when it comes up?

I've been doing that since XP days; much faster than flying through menus with a mouse and it works exactly the same with Win8.  I guess since I don't use any Metro programmes and Live Tiles mean nothing to me (seriously...you're going to keep it on the 'start menu' and wait for whatever information to cycle back around?) that Win8 doesn't bother me too much.

May 16, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #5,617 of 9,120
  Doesn't everyone hit the start key and start typing in the programme name and just hit enter when it comes up?

nope.  id wager very few people do which is why so many people have expressed just how much they love the metro interface. 

May 16, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #5,619 of 9,120

I've been doing that since XP days; much faster than flying through menus with a mouse and it works exactly the same with Win8.  I guess since I don't use any Metro programmes and Live Tiles mean nothing to me (seriously...you're going to keep it on the 'start menu' and wait for whatever information to cycle back around?) that Win8 doesn't bother me too much.

Yeah, I use Windows key to get in and out of Metro quickly and easilly

I have all my used programs tagged onto the task-bar on the bottom. I access them by using keyboard shortcuts of Winkey+# or by clicking them.

All other programs are accessed either from Desktop (such as dogecoin mining, alt-games, or Steam) or by pressing the windows key and immediately start typing a program and hitting enter :wink:

Guess I was expecting too much from the unwashed masses.

EXPECT NOTHING from the unwashed masses.

May 16, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #5,620 of 9,120

Guess I was expecting too much from the unwashed masses.

the trouble with the metro interface is that its not appropriate for a non tablet device and that it randomly throws you into it.  what was the great thing about windows is you could set it to how you liked it, metro came along and said FU all youll do it the way we say so.

whats worse is that metro offered zero benefit, it was just different for the sake of it.

May 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #5,621 of 9,120

the trouble with the metro interface is that its not appropriate for a non tablet device and that it randomly throws you into it.  what was the great thing about windows is you could set it to how you liked it, metro came along and said FU all youll do it the way we say so.

whats worse is that metro offered zero benefit, it was just different for the sake of it.

I don't use any Microsoft programmes so I haven't ran into any issues I guess.  It came stock on my Y500, was upgraded to 8,1 and after installing Chrome, Steam and...well nothing else it is only rebooted out of OpenSUSE when I want to get my non-crossplatform gaming on.  And with Steam auto-starting I don't even have to use the Windows key.  The only thing that pisses me off is having to hunt around in the f#cking corner to bring up the menu to click the god-d@mn power button to go through another menu to restart....how hard is it to simply allow the "Windows key.."R"..."R" like XP used to have?  I know that a swipe from the right edge of the mousepad (blah, blah, blah) which does laptop gamers no good because we're going to disable that touchpad.  Win7 also disabled that shortcut.

Of course I am a fringe case....

May 16, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #5,624 of 9,120

That's what I usually do.  I still have win7 on my own PC but when I used 8 at the library it was to write a paper (paper was stored on my usb drive)  I was a little scared because I always go start>computer>drives but luckily windows explorer was on the taskbar. 

If I had a couple hours to play with windows 8 I'm sure I'd get used to it but I know I wouldn't like it.

Don't you just HATE it when you exit out of a document and select "don't save" for no reason like it's just muscle memory?  Yeah well that whole 10 page paper that's supposed to be done in 2 weeks just got a bit more challenging.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back