PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
May 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #1,906 of 9,120
Quote:

Sorry about that, I just didn't want to start an AMD vs. Intel flame war. Didn't know what your intentions were with your first comment. As far the noise goes, what noise? 

My computer really doesn't make a whole lot of noise. Either that or I've just learned to ignore it. 

This is an audio forum. The flame wars are contained to the shure SE846 thread, anything with "Beats" and the sound science sub forum. At least, the last time I noticed them.

May 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #1,907 of 9,120
Quote:

Walk and run have always been pretty binary for me. I don't see much value in a fine gradient of jogging speeds.

I've got a joystick I use for flight sims and space combat games, but no other dedicated controllers.

In splinter cell it was a real pain trying to adjust speed with mousewheel..  For most fps games yes it is binary, though for e.g sports, racing, etc it would be nice to have an analog input.

I find myself using a controller due to space restrictions, sold my Saitech X52 because I found the joystick to be bothersome on my new desk.  The joystick is higher than my arm level, which in turn caused fatigue...  Not to mention the wonky dead zone :D

Not sure what was worse, trying to adjust speed with mousewheel or mode tapping/holding with analog stick presses...  

May 29, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #1,908 of 9,120
How is AMD vs Intel shindig going nowadays?

The last time I really paid attention to computers was 8 years ago, when the first dual cores came out.

Amds getting their butt handed, they have said they won't compete in the high end cpu market, but atleast they've conered the console market, Wii u ps4 and Xbox one will all be using amd :D

May 29, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #1,909 of 9,120
Quote:
Amds getting their butt handed, they have said they won't compete in the high end cpu market, but atleast they've conered the console market, Wii u ps4 and Xbox one will all be using amd
biggrin.gif

Wouldn't say they're getting their butt handed to them, the new FX-8350 is decent for some people, not helpful for those that play games that failed to fully utilise more than 4 cores though. (IIRC that's nearly all of them)

May 29, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #1,910 of 9,120
There isnt any more actual amd and intel shindling.

Amd dropped out of competing in the enthusiast market(uber enthusiast as in) and is instead focusing on intergration, efficency and all that good stuff. Winning the console wars and having an advantage in the mobile marker is also very positive for them right now.

In the fields they are now actually working on. They can be seen as being in a high position. They have set contracts to produce hundreds of millions of chips and also better connections in everything. Their ability to work with microsoft and develop efficient chips with large quality also means well for the future projects between them.

May 29, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #1,911 of 9,120
Quote:
There isnt any more actual amd and intel shindling.

Amd dropped out of competing in the enthusiast market(uber enthusiast as in) and is instead focusing on intergration, efficency and all that good stuff. Winning the console wars and having an advantage in the mobile marker is also very positive for them right now.

In the fields they are now actually working on. They can be seen as being in a high position. They have set contracts to produce hundreds of millions of chips and also better connections in everything. Their ability to work with microsoft and develop efficient chips with large quality also means well for the future projects between them.

AMD don't actually produce the console chips. They get a (very) small fee for each one produced though as the design is their intellectual property, it's similar to ARM's current affairs.

AMD haven't had a fab for years, not since they spun GlobalFoundries off. I think they still have close ties with GoFlo, but are not really afforded any special treatment.

May 30, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,913 of 9,120
Just started playing the Neverwinter MMO. Feels really, really, similar to the old Bioware D&D games, which is a good thing. Leveling is slow and painful though and there's an over reliance on health potions. Quite a pretty game, feels like a nice step up from Neverwinter Nights 2 but still very much in keeping with the older art direction.

May 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #1,914 of 9,120
Quote:
Just started playing the Neverwinter MMO. Feels really, really, similar to the old Bioware D&D games, which is a good thing. Leveling is slow and painful though and there's an over reliance on health potions. Quite a pretty game, feels like a nice step up from Neverwinter Nights 2 but still very much in keeping with the older art direction.

Health potions, typical Perfect World.  I hope they improved their typical Perfect World mechanics, its like once you have played PWI you've played all of their MMOs lol (gameplay wise)

Every single PW game I have played you need to purchase world chat tokens/flutes/scrolls/whatever else, always hated that

Health potions >.<, they practically make you pay $ for health potions..

The quests can be abnormally long with painfully generic script.  Most of the time I skip the script in their games and have autowalk turned on, very painful

PvE experience usually fun, though generally not as better as P2P MMOs.  

PvP is a complete mess, will not play PvP in a PW game.

For what they are, Perfect World games are great.  I only wish they would make a significant improvement to their mechanics, and in turn into micro transactions.  

May 31, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #1,915 of 9,120
Played Neverwinter mmo during beta. Very run of the mill. Easily forgettable in a sea of F2P MMOs.

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #1,917 of 9,120
Well I just beat Metro Last light, seemed kinda short but it was good, the ending was meh...

It looks really good, this is with everything maxed out and believe it or not SSAA off! I didn't think to take screen shots until tonight so they don't really show the most impressive levels but anyway:

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #1,918 of 9,120
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_4770k_review,26.html

i7 haswell is out.

Pretty disappointing.

Energy saving on idle and load is barely anything. Fastest quad core on the planet. But for the price. It offers little speed improvement from the current Ivy Bridge chip in its place right now.

Review tries to put a positive spin on it. But its so far dissapointing.

Now lets take a look at the $200 chips. As those are the ones I will be buying.

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #1,919 of 9,120
Quote:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_4770k_review,26.html

i7 haswell is out.

Pretty disappointing.

Energy saving on idle and load is barely anything. Fastest quad core on the planet. But for the price. It offers little speed improvement from the current Ivy Bridge chip in its place right now.

Review tries to put a positive spin on it. But its so far dissapointing.

Now lets take a look at the $200 chips. As those are the ones I will be buying.

Intel is trying to catch up to ARM CPUs in terms of power consumption.  Likewise, ARM based CPUs are increasing performance.

Looking back only a few years, ARM based processors have taken great strides in terms of performance.  

The Samsung Exynos on their Chromebook benchmarks between 2-6x faster than a crop of Atom CPUs.  Not to mention the battery life is better 
size]

While Intel and ARM are racing, AMD is trying to work up a x86/ARM fusion CPU.  Smart on their end honestly, AMD is really having a hard time catching up in terms of Power/Performance.

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #1,920 of 9,120
Quote:
Intel is trying to catch up to ARM CPUs in terms of power consumption.  Likewise, ARM based CPUs are increasing performance.

Looking back only a few years, ARM based processors have taken great strides in terms of performance.  

The Samsung Exynos on their Chromebook benchmarks between 2-6x faster than a crop of Atom CPUs.  Not to mention the battery life is better 
size]

While Intel and ARM are racing, AMD is trying to work up a x86/ARM fusion CPU.  Smart on their end honestly, AMD is really having a hard time catching up in terms of Power/Performance.

They may not need to 'catch up'. They are focusing on a different market it seems now with their APU's. General users and systems that are built from head to toe using their architecture and IP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back