PC Amp/Dac for HD650
Feb 5, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #16 of 23
saint.panda:I gotta be honest, I am way too impatient, I am sitting here with mediocre at best sound on these 650's. I am like number 400 on the list, gonna be a while.

I am certain that the pico is excellent as everyone has said, however my initial ideas were to have an all in one setup that I could take with me and I see clearly now that it is impossible. So at this time I am just looking for something for desktop and will keep the pico to start a mobile setup.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #17 of 23
actually there could be a possibility the opera's DAC is better than the prelude. Sound card DACs generally arent as good as a external one. The Prelude is good for a sound card but not sure if it can match the opera. If anything the opera's amp section is way better than the prelude. If i didnt game a lot and needed the Prelude I'd probably wouldnt have it either. The X-Meridian is better sound wise.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #19 of 23
Yea that was my thought, I just worry cause I do use cmss with the prelude and doubt I would get similar from an audio dac. Would like to get another dac w/amp just to see anyway. I will look into the x-meridian, there is so much to absorb, at this point I just want something here.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #20 of 23
I have Corda Opera (analog) and Prelude. Sounds good to me, but I haven't tried Opera's DAC. With Prelude you try different op-amps, I'm considering LT1364 / OPA627.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #21 of 23
Take a look at the PreSonus Central Station. I owned one for almost two years. The amp section has plenty of juice for Sennheisers , the DAC is quite good and it makes a nice preamp, as well. It's a nice setup, and you can find refurbs as low as $400. It is a pro audio gear, but don't let that put you off. The sound is very good and you'd do well to read the reviews from pro audio guys.

You probably want to know why I sold it. It's the fault of those big, black discs. I bought a turntable and it eventually became my main source. Got seduced by vacuum tubes, too. For solid state gear, the PreSonus is excellent, but I started using it less and less. I think its new owner is happy with it, though.

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #22 of 23
Uncle Erik: Thanks for the info, I am searching around. Ahh just saw that it is passive, at this point the Prelude is driving the HD650's and am gonna need some power as well.

Jantze:I havent yet, I was just reading a little about bypassing the amp though, have you considered this?

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by duhokay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jantze:I havent yet, I was just reading a little about bypassing the amp though, have you considered this?

I guess that's something I have to try after I get my new op-amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:
Oh, and Woo Audio WA6 + Mullard GZ32 rectifier tube sounds good too with my stock Prelude. I got some more tubes, but haven't tried them out yet (Mullard GZ34 fat black base).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back