Paypal - What?!?
Feb 22, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #16 of 88
I feel your pain. I do sell items on eBay from time to time. When I do, I always list my phone number. I believe that will give my listings and me more credibility. I want buyers to be able to reach me and throw a punch at me if I did them wrong.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #17 of 88
Thats terrible. It probably means that I'll be asking people to post things to ebay for future agon purchases.
frown.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #18 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats terrible. It probably means that I'll be asking people to post things to ebay for future agon purchases.
frown.gif

I don't blame you....the sad reality is, that is the plan, I am only speaking my personal opinion though. If you notice, the paypal protection, is now ebay protection.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #20 of 88
I don't want to be obtuse, but if the dealer has the cables, and you are not in possession of them, does he not have an obligation to return them to you? --If that is the case, perhaps you could induce him to make the necessary repair to the alignment of the plug.

On the other hand, if you have a *very good* credit card company, the right thing to do is have the charges reversed immediately. Indeed, *you do not have the item right now.* Until you get them again, you owe the dealer nothing.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #21 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

The problem is that eBay has very significant fees associated with sales.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #22 of 88
That's quite a predicament. If I were in your shoes I'd initiate a chargeback immediately. Let's hope the bank will side w/ you and refund your money back.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #23 of 88
See, the opposite thing happened to me TODAY, actually.

Sold an item, received payment, and delivered the item. Didn't need to ship it, it was a digital item. He made a non-delivery claim against me, and now I'm out my item AND the cash I made from it.

Why I accepted Paypal, I'll never know.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #24 of 88
AVOID EBAY, GUYS!

its no longer safe. hasn't been for years and years.

I am about to tell my story, but I'm giving the 'seller' another try to make good. I was ripped off to the sum of $80+fees+shipping+returnMail. I filed a case with ebay/paypal for fraud (seller sent me an item not as described; fake goods). I had photos and proof.

ebay denied me and closed the case. I no longer can even leave feedback about this ripoff seller.

the only thing I can do now is charge-back and from what I've heard, once I do that, paypal will 'cancel' me. (is it worth it, to be 'banned' from paypal?)

seller is in china, so I can't so 'squat' about it. and he fully knows it, too ;(

I'm pretty much done with ebay and I'm about to cancel my paypal, too. sooner or later, you WILL run into problems and you'll find that its NOT a bank, has NO laws and they are not here to support you, they are here to support 'power sellers'.

days of ebay being fair were over a decade ago.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #25 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See, the opposite thing happened to me TODAY, actually.

Sold an item, received payment, and delivered the item. Didn't need to ship it, it was a digital item. He made a non-delivery claim against me, and now I'm out my item AND the cash I made from it.

Why I accepted Paypal, I'll never know.

I have many things I want to sell (older audio gear, computer gear, photo gear). but its too risky to accept paypal!

being out goods AND money (tell me about it; I'm in that very situation) is not at all fun. I'd rather sit here with my used gear all around me than to mail away my gear FOR FREE. that's the risk you take.

for dollar items, it may not matter. but I'm no longer willing to sell expensive things thru paypal/ebay. its the wild wild west, in a sense. you have no power other than to charge-back (which I think will cause them to simply cancel you for life).

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #26 of 88
Nothing is wrong with eBay, BUT PayPal is for eBay use only ... avoid using PayPal for other transactions ...

I buy and sell on eBay every little, BUT - again - only USA ebay sellers and chinese with good feedback ...

My worst expirience is German eBay, AVOID ...

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #27 of 88
the chinese guy i bought from had 100%.

this means nothing. in fact, I have an email from this clod trying to BUY my vote (feedback). he has my item and my money and offered to return half my money if I leave him + feedback.

when I reported this to PP, they didn't care!

I have photos of the fake item. their reply: not enough people reported they were defrauded so we have to WAIT (!!) until we have more bad reports on this guy.

amazing!

don't expect justice from a corp entity who owns ALL the cards.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #28 of 88
On a somewhat related note, has anybody noticed how absurdly high ebay fees have gotten?

I remember listing items worth around $200 a few years ago and paying $5-6 of fees. After my most recent auction that sold for $205, I was shocked to get a bill for $18 + $5 in paypal fees.

That's the last time I sell on ebay.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #29 of 88
the world REALLY needs an alternative.

no competition (amazon exists but has zero mindshare, really) means they can do whatever they want. only game in town.

I have not used craigslist yet but I may give that a try. at least its pure cash-n-carry. no revoking payment AFTER the fact BS.

people hope that google would enter this market. it could be good or bad but at least having a 2nd player would HELP!

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #30 of 88
Yes eBay fees are outrageous. I avoid even perchsing items off of eBay because I think the fees are way out of line, let alone sell items where I'm actually the one paying them. Amazon marketplace doesn't really seem to be much better. The fees these guys leverage for the service they provide is really ridiculous. There's got to be a small fortune awaiting anybody who can provide and market a similar service with reasonable fees.

I use Paypal because I really don't want to futz around with Money Orders - I don't know that there's any other good option. Never really used Google Checkout, and sure that many others do either.

You guys should at least post the names of the sellers so others may have the opportunity to be stay away,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back