Pathos Inpol Ear Headphone Amplifier
Apr 26, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #511 of 693
The EF1000 is a Pathos Inpol EAR on Growth Hormone and Anabolic Steroids.
I had an Inpol EAR on loan driving my susvaras whilst I awaited for my EF1000 to be built.

The Inpol EAR is a very nice amp. But the EF1000 is in another league i.e. for UK football analogy; Inpol EAR is in the 1st Division, EF1000 in Premier League !
I did have a good look at the EF1000 and ear marked it as a future upgrade as it looks to be rather good.
In the meantime having just added the AURALiC Aries G1 streamer transport to my system and the Reflector valves in the Pathos I'm more than happy with my system, in fact I am re-listening to my music collection finding things that I hadn't heard before but mostly it's just the fact it is so 'musical" that I love.
So I'm quite happy at the moment to wait and see what the new M Scaler will be like with a view to maybe adding it to my system.

May 2, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #512 of 693
Has anyone tried listening to IEMs using the InPol Ear with good results? I tried searching this thread, but only found references to full-size headphones.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #513 of 693
Today, my spouse and I did some maintenance on my Pathos InPol Ear amplifier.

First, we used Gorilla Glue-branded superglue to seal the zebrawood veneer to the metal case. Others on this thread have commented they were able to exchange the zebrawood model (with the defective/ineffectual glue issue) for a replacement with a different finish, but I chose to hold onto my zebrawood model and secure the veneer with superglue because wood really makes the amp look nice.

Then we opened up the unit to do work inside. In order to remove the top cover, it is necessary to remove the top two screws in the back of the amp (don’t mess with the other screws on the back for this) and two screws from underneath the case in the front. The cover then lifts off easily.

We cleaned out the tube sockets and (carefully) removed any dust inside with compressed air.

I also went hunting for internal fuses. As noted previously in this thread, there are additional fuses inside the InPol Ear that need to be swapped out if you want to do a complete fuse upgrade. While I have already upgraded the two fuses accessible via the back of the amp, there are four additional fuses inside the amp — two on the left and two on the right — that are easily accessible once you have the top removed.

My next upgrade to the Pathos will be to replace the internal fuses. I did not verify the size of the fuses inside — they looked to be the same sizes as the ones on the back, but before ordering additional fuses, I will double check. I doubt Pathos will provide this information readily, as it’s not provided in the user manual and I assume they really don’t want anyone opening up and messing with their products.

Unfortunately, I didn’t think to take any pictures of the inside. When we go back in to do the fuse upgrade, I will be sure to document the necessary steps.

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #514 of 693
Today, my spouse and I did some maintenance on my Pathos InPol Ear amplifier.

First, we used Gorilla Glue-branded superglue to seal the zebrawood veneer to the metal case. Others on this thread have commented they were able to exchange the zebrawood model (with the defective/ineffectual glue issue) for a replacement with a different finish, but I chose to hold onto my zebrawood model and secure the veneer with superglue because wood really makes the amp look nice.

Then we opened up the unit to do work inside. In order to remove the top cover, it is necessary to remove the top two screws in the back of the amp (don’t mess with the other screws on the back for this) and two screws from underneath the case in the front. The cover then lifts off easily.

We cleaned out the tube sockets and (carefully) removed any dust inside with compressed air.

I also went hunting for internal fuses. As noted previously in this thread, there are additional fuses inside the InPol Ear that need to be swapped out if you want to do a complete fuse upgrade. While I have already upgraded the two fuses accessible via the back of the amp, there are four additional fuses inside the amp — two on the left and two on the right — that are easily accessible once you have the top removed.

My next upgrade to the Pathos will be to replace the internal fuses. I did not verify the size of the fuses inside — they looked to be the same sizes as the ones on the back, but before ordering additional fuses, I will double check. I doubt Pathos will provide this information readily, as it’s not provided in the user manual and I assume they really don’t want anyone opening up and messing with their products.

Unfortunately, I didn’t think to take any pictures of the inside. When we go back in to do the fuse upgrade, I will be sure to document the necessary steps.
Did you get any power cycle problems when turning it on? IE, it switches off after minutes of operation.

May 14, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #515 of 693
Did you get any power cycle problems when turning it on? IE, it switches off after minutes of operation.
No, I didn’t. I’m not sure what you’re referring to. Is that an issue you’re having with yours?

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #517 of 693
It's similar to what mickey reported here earlier. It just goes to "ERR" and power cycles. Haven't had it happen in a while though.
Knock on wood, I’ve not yet had that issue happen with my particular unit. I have the amp-only version without the internal DAC card.

May 14, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #518 of 693
Knock on wood, I’ve not yet had that issue happen with my particular unit. I have the amp-only version without the internal DAC card.
Same here :). It's unfortunate that it happens but we'll see. Since I am a 2nd owner, the only dealer in the US needs me to pay for the repairs which is disappointing especially if this is a widespread problem with certain units.

May 14, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #519 of 693
@dcguy73, can you please let us know the size and specs of all 6 fuese when you take a look to replace them?

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 15, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #520 of 693
Pathos Remix (similar to Inpol Ear) teardown. Use this as reference If you want to see inside on your Inpol Ear.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #521 of 693
The InPol Ear's remote:

I received a metallic remote with six unlabeled buttons on it when my unit was shipped to me. i have to say though that I have never used the remote, precisely because of that absence of labelling, as I have no idea of what each of the buttons is supposed to do. Now I would like to change that if possible provided I see a proper labelling of the buttons, and an explanation of what each of them does. Does anyone know how/where I might find the info I need about the functionality/operability of the remote?

This brochure on the pathos website does not even seem to "mention" the remote, let alone explain how it works.

Any meaningful help would be really appreciated.

May 31, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #522 of 693
From the manual..

2022-05-31-0004.jpg

May 31, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #523 of 693
From the manual..

Fantastic! m-i-c-k-e-y, Thanks! I'd just managed to figure out the functionalities of the first two buttons by experimentation and dumb luck, I guess, but I have not had the guts to mess with the other 4 buttons, so your assistance is really appreciated,

Now speaking of this manual, is it also meant to come in the box, or is it somewhere online? Sorry to be a pest, but I'd rather not go fishing out the box if I can avoid it, given where it is stored at the moment.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #524 of 693
Guys at Pathos provided it with me (manual) along with the remote with labels (free of charge).

If you want will scan the whole manual and post it here for others...

May 31, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #525 of 693
Guys at Pathos provided it with me (manual) along with the remote with labels (free of charge).

If you want will scan the whole manual and post it here for others...
For me, the scan of the whole manual would be a fantastic and kind gesture on your part, if it is not too much trouble. I'm guessing there would be a lot of valuable information in it about this great amp which is not readily available or accessible to buyers anywhere else.

I just hope it is not too much of a bother for you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back