Pass Labs - HPA1
Jun 10, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #106 of 328
The choice of power cable, also, can make a difference in the HPA-1 performance.

Jun 10, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #108 of 328
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but have you tried a different headphones? The difference in sound will be in several orders of magnitude more noticeable than anything else.

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #109 of 328
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but have you tried a different headphones? The difference in sound will be in several orders of magnitude more noticeable than anything else.
Well I'm using it with the Focal Utopia. It's possible other high end headphones might sound better with this amp, but I assume the Utopias will take full advantage of the HPA -1 's capabilities.

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #110 of 328
I'm currently using an Isotek sequel, which is probably not going to get the best out of the amp. Which cable would you recommend ?
These are US makers: Audio Envy, Morrow Audio. I use these.

Jun 11, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #111 of 328
I'm currently using an Isotek sequel, which is probably not going to get the best out of the amp. Which cable would you recommend ?
That's a silver plated cord? I'd try all copper. Likely provide more body and fill in the mids. I like Sablon stuff but that's getting into the weeds. Copper for starters.
I would think the caliber and specs of this amp should sound good with most headphones. Utopia certainly. But as always, comes down to synergy and individual preferences.

Jun 12, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #112 of 328
I recently purchased a HPA-1. I can hear its potential, but I'm just wondering for those who have owned one for a while, how long would you say it takes to sound its best ?
Let it warm up for an hour, then your good to go....anything more than this is not necessary.
Leave it on all the time....its designed to be left on all the time.
Not going to hurt it at all.....

If you do turn it off, then wait that hour or so for critical listening and use.

Jun 12, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #113 of 328
Well I'm using it with the Focal Utopia. It's possible other high end headphones might sound better with this amp, but I assume the Utopias will take full advantage of the HPA -1 's capabilities.
The HPA-1 will drive your Utopias to their full advantage...no problem...but remember gargbage in garbage out...you choice of music and its recording quality will
be exposed with that pairing...

Dont expect the amp to fix stuff with a crappy recording or a mediocre recording...

Jun 12, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #114 of 328
Or a mediocre DAC

Jun 12, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #115 of 328
Well, the sound is not really 'filled in' by that I mean I can hear the size and some of the depth of a recording, but it is only just audible. I can certainly hear parts of the recording I have never heard before on other equipment, however, again, it is on the edge of my perception. Basically, the depth, soundstage and detail in a recording are hinted at, but nowhere close to being fleshed out.

I have had it since April, but have not had the chance to burn in/use it much. I could certainly hear some improvement after the first month. However I recently renovated so my entire system was disconnected for two weeks. My suspicion is it really requires quite a bit of use before sounding its best, but I was hoping to hear what other owners have experienced.
Are you using a phone as source?

Jun 13, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #117 of 328
I'm using a CEC TL 51 CD transport feeding a Hugo 2 via optical.
Hugo 2 being thin sounding but high res is your problem but it’s not easy to solve that problem. The easiest way to solve your problem is to get a better dac - by that I mean something like Weiss, Emm Labs MSB, dCS, etc. but that’s more money. The other solutions all involve various trade offs between size of soundstage and ”filled in” soundstage. I think in your case going used may be the best route given you are still using a CD transport - old Wadia, Mark Levinson, Audio Research, Sonic Frontier dacs from 20yrs ago for example. If you are willing to go USB Ayre QB9 Twenty should also do the trick.

Did you tell us which headphones you are using?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #118 of 328
Have you ever tried both Graham Slee Solo ULDE and Feliks Euforia?

Background:

I bought ULDE because I read that it has some tube magic in it and it really did have some magic to it. It was kind of toxicating to listen to it, especially when I got my DAC to Qutest level. However, it had a big downside, which was that it sounded veiled. After trying things like TA-ZH1ES and Phonitor, it was hard to listen to ULDE because of technical inferiority.

Now I've got one of my all time favourite (if not the favourite) headphone amps: Feliks Euforia. Especially I love the big stage all around me that it creates. Especially movie soundtracks are at the same time grand and magical. It still can't completely compete in fidelity, but I still listen to it more than my Phonitor. However to me it's clearly a middle step as somehow deep inside me I'm still a SS guy and I know what I want. I just haven't found "the one", but I've heard different charasteristics IN ss amps so that I know that it could be done. At least in theory...

The Wish:

So my dream amp would be to take ULDE as a base, switch it's soundstage to that of Euforia and switch it's technical capabilities to that of Phonitor. ULDE also has simple metal chassis (that I love both in ULDE and in HPA-1), only SE output and two RCA inputs so this must be the destiny :). I've been eyeing Pass HPA-1 for years (since the beginning basically) and I always come back to reading about it and thinking about it. The only thing that basically holds me back is that it's 2016. Somehow I've been conditioned that in today's headphone land, 2 years is an eternity. 6 years is an eon.

I've read that HPA-1 has a big soundstage and that there is some "tubeiness" in it. I checked the measurements of it and it too has 2nd order harmonics. It seems to be very technically capable as well so all the boxes tick. And the simple design (just RCA and SE output used) and the beautiful metah chassis just somehow call my name. Based on everything I've read, it seems to be my dream amp, but I'd like to hear some thoughts before jumping in. I've had so many amps and burned so much money, energy and time when collecting some framework of reference points that I don't want to "just buy" something anymore, especially at this price level.

Unfortunately it's not possible for me to listen to HPA-1 locally here in Finland, so I need to buy to try. I'm most probably going to go secondary market but still, if it's a complete miss, re-selling this kind of item is a hassle and I usually take some monetary hit.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #119 of 328
Even though this is a 2016 timeframe amp, its still a TOTL amp and is a wonderful all around amplifier. Recently I bought a dac that has a TDA 1541 NOS Phillips chip in it from the late 80's and early 90's...not made anymore but still excellent and a legend. Its as good as my other 2020 version dacs...

Amps both tube and SS even hybrids are not that much different or better...dont let the 2016 date interfere with a decision for a HPA-1.

With time amps have better specs, it the THX stuff and many really high dollar tube amps...but the HPA-1 competes very well and is an honest great design.

People will tell you its big and costs alot and there are other "better priced" choices.
Thats true. Its is indeed big, and cost alot...but its built like a tank, and works like a amp should....handles a wide variety of impedance's and drives 99% of the stuff
out there well.

You can find one used for a lot less....and IMO its worth it....

Good luck with your search!
Alex

Jul 21, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #120 of 328
Even though this is a 2016 timeframe amp, its still a TOTL amp and is a wonderful all around amplifier. Recently I bought a dac that has a TDA 1541 NOS Phillips chip in it from the late 80's and early 90's...not made anymore but still excellent and a legend. Its as good as my other 2020 version dacs...

Amps both tube and SS even hybrids are not that much different or better...dont let the 2016 date interfere with a decision for a HPA-1.

With time amps have better specs, it the THX stuff and many really high dollar tube amps...but the HPA-1 competes very well and is an honest great design.

People will tell you its big and costs alot and there are other "better priced" choices.
Thats true. Its is indeed big, and cost alot...but its built like a tank, and works like a amp should....handles a wide variety of impedance's and drives 99% of the stuff
out there well.

You can find one used for a lot less....and IMO its worth it....

Good luck with your search!
Alex
Besides, it’s a Nelson Pass protégé design (directly under NP).😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back