Pass Labs - HPA1
Jan 25, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #91 of 328
Hi all,

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the HPA1 with the Sparkos Aries at all?

Also has anyone teamed the HPA1 up with the TT2 and could comment on the pairing and how the two headphone outputs differ to one another?

Thankyou
I have the Pass and the TT2 for several months

compared . The TT2 Headphone output has little

Opportunities against the Pass in my opinion .

The HPA1 plays with much quieter Background , more sovereign, more

Power in Bass ,more dynamic , everything better than the TT 2 Output .

For me completely incomprehensible why the HPA1 no

more attention here in Forum gets . Great Amplifier !

Audiophile Greetings , Nomos

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #95 of 328
TBH, a remote is really nice quality of life feature if you have the amp on an equipment rack.

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #97 of 328
I have the Pass and the TT2 for several months

compared . The TT2 Headphone output has little

Opportunities against the Pass in my opinion .

The HPA1 plays with much quieter Background , more sovereign, more

Power in Bass ,more dynamic , everything better than the TT 2 Output .

For me completely incomprehensible why the HPA1 no

more attention here in Forum gets . Great Amplifier !

Audiophile Greetings , Nomos

And that's why the HPA-1 still plays with my Headphones and the TT2 no longer :relaxed:

A7D904A9-83D7-4858-940A-F43D966036AE.jpeg

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #98 of 328
The HPA-1 stands the test of time and the love of audiophiles and sound engineers. Recently read an old article from Bob Katz talking about this beast and there is nothing but good words and if Bob finds it to be that good, it definitely adds a lot of weight. I've budgeted to acquire one in this year and is saving now towards the goal :slight_smile:

Bob's article on the HPA-1

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #100 of 328
@jjss The HPA-1 indeed has stood the test of time...considering when it first came out and its still a world class design. People buy stuff and often the glitter wears off and they move on for ALL kinds of reason....economically, or thinking the next piece of gear is better....yadda, yadda, yadda....funny eh!

@driftingbunnies . This means nothing....

Enjoy the music with whatever you have....life is short.

Alex

May 15, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #101 of 328
Not needed.
If all your cans are terminated in bal, SE only not desired. Not interested in adaptors since proper implementation of balanced also buys lower noise and no fuss cable choices - not to mention better sound. (when comparisons are possible) although this amp is awfully good. Pass was an early pioneer of bal although his kits are often SE only.

May 15, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #102 of 328
The HPA-1 stands the test of time and the love of audiophiles and sound engineers. Recently read an old article from Bob Katz talking about this beast and there is nothing but good words and if Bob finds it to be that good, it definitely adds a lot of weight. I've budgeted to acquire one in this year and is saving now towards the goal :slight_smile:

Bob's article on the HPA-1
Bob also raved about his M3 that no one here seems to care about. I have one (I think 12yrs?) and I think still sounds great. Also, I think the old dynalo amps still sound absolutely fantastic - good examples would be Headamp's various derivatives from Glite, GS-1, Gilmore reference, Gilmore dynamics, GS-X,

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #104 of 328
I recently purchased a HPA-1. I can hear its potential, but I'm just wondering for those who have owned one for a while, how long would you say it takes to sound its best ?
Curious what you're finding lacking, or what you thought you'd hear but aren't? I don't own or ever heard one, but it's on my interest list.

If the unit is brand new some break in would likely be in order.

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #105 of 328
Well, the sound is not really 'filled in' by that I mean I can hear the size and some of the depth of a recording, but it is only just audible. I can certainly hear parts of the recording I have never heard before on other equipment, however, again, it is on the edge of my perception. Basically, the depth, soundstage and detail in a recording are hinted at, but nowhere close to being fleshed out.

I have had it since April, but have not had the chance to burn in/use it much. I could certainly hear some improvement after the first month. However I recently renovated so my entire system was disconnected for two weeks. My suspicion is it really requires quite a bit of use before sounding its best, but I was hoping to hear what other owners have experienced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back