Party @ Neil's! Super-Mini Meet
Jan 9, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #152 of 182
Make that 10.
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #153 of 182
hey guys - maybe you might know about this:

So this morning when I woke up, I heard a strange popping or thumping sound coming from my living room. So I walk to it and realize my right speaker is pumping in and out and making a popping or thumping sound. I see that my DCC2 (preamp) is on even though I have the volume set to 0. I turn off the DCC2 and the noise goes away.

This has happened before to my Krell integrated, and they told me it had something to do with a coupling capacitor being blown. Whatever, I figure it was a rare incident. Well here it seemingly is again, with a MUCH more expensive piece of equipment. Well the EMM Labs DCC2 is a DAC and a PRE and the PRE is going into some MBL Monoblocks. THis monoblocks seem fine and the noise switches speakers if the cables are switched, so this incriminates the DCC2 even more.

The folks at EMM Labs could only tell me to send it in. They have no idea what could be causing it. Also, now my left speaker smells like some sort of electrical burn has taken place
frown.gif

===

Has anyone (Al?) experienced anything like this and figured out what it was?

The Line Level section still seems to work just fine, it is just the PRE OUT it seems. So headphones can still be connected, or any line level device. But this does rob the EMM of two possible connections, which of course, we were planning on using next week.

How frustrating that this keeps happening.

Neil

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #154 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone (Al?) experienced anything like this and figured out what it was?

The Line Level section still seems to work just fine, it is just the PRE OUT it seems. So headphones can still be connected, or any line level device. But this does rob the EMM of two possible connections, which of course, we were planning on using next week.

How frustrating that this keeps happening.

Neil

Sorry for the frustration, man. This last year was a continuous series of weird issues with my preamp but this wasn't one of them.

Does the thumping still happen when you are playing music through the pre-outs? That would certainly mean that something "extra" is being generated by the DCC2. Did you try a different transport than the EMM just to make sure it wasn't starting there?

Do the speakers sound like something has happened? I know it can be hard to tell unless you isolate what might have been affected in the speaker--my Gallos still played and sounded ok on most things with a big hole fried through the tweeter membrane. My guess is nothing really happened and that the smell might have been there but you were never "looking" for it.

If you send it in, you will never get it back in time (even with a friend on the inside like you have). We should just use some line splitters on the line level outputs. I have never been able to hear any degredation when using them. I will bring a pair that I have.

Again, sorry for the bummer, and I hope EMM steps up if their gear fried anything in your speaker(s) [unlike TacT, which refused to pay for the damage they admittedly caused by setting my preamp up wrong when they returned it from an upgrade].

Good luck, Al

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #155 of 182
Quote:

=====
Attendees/Possible Attendees:

Neilvg
Voltron
Grahame
Neilpeart
Humanflyz
Utep10
Granodemostasa
Xantus
Blessingx
Robm321

HeadCount = ~ 10 (this is perfect!)
=====

Neil

On a more positive note than the last post, what a great crew we have coming to this meet! Study up on your Meet CDs and be ready to rock! Too bad Xantus didn't get any Shpongle on there! You'll just have to bring some along again Joe!

See you all next week.
orphsmile.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #156 of 182
Emm is great! I just talked to Jonathan Tinn and another tech at EMM and not only will it get overnighted to them today, they will look at it, do their best to get it fixed this weekend/next week and have it back to me by next week sometime. They are also performing an upgrade to the DAC which should improve the sound even more.

IF this does not get resolved by them, a replacement DCC2 will be given to me just for the meet (which they really want me to have).

smily_headphones1.gif

Neil

Jan 11, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #157 of 182
Quote:

Emm is great! I just talked to Jonathan Tinn and another tech at EMM and not only will it get overnighted to them today, they will look at it, do their best to get it fixed this weekend/next week and have it back to me by next week sometime. They are also performing an upgrade to the DAC which should improve the sound even more.

IF this does not get resolved by them, a replacement DCC2 will be given to me just for the meet (which they really want me to have).

smily_headphones1.gif

Neil

NICE! Can you have Jonathan call Boz over at TacT and tell him how it's done?!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #158 of 182
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Neil

That's great to hear.

Sorry to hear about the possible speaker damage though
frown.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #159 of 182
Neil,

Sorry to hear of your issues. I hope it was not some type of DC getting to your speakers.

Nice that EMM is stepping up. Major customer service going on there.

Hope everything gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #161 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a more positive note than the last post, what a great crew we have coming to this meet! Study up on your Meet CDs and be ready to rock! Too bad Xantus didn't get any Shpongle on there! You'll just have to bring some along again Joe!

See you all next week.
orphsmile.gif

*packs Iriver cables*

I've always got new gems to share
cool.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #164 of 182
Quote:

What about Grano? Doesn't he hail from Berk?

Neil

hi
i dont have a car.. and i sorta lost my interest in going since i don't have the music or a functioning rig right now...

Jan 17, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #165 of 182
I thought someone gave you the music? That's too bad.

===

We'll figure something out for you humanflyz.

I am thinking of having the meet time start at around 1:00pm. This will give everyone a good amount of time to get over here. I will be providing drinks/snacks etc... Does anyone have any requests?

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back