Party @ Neil's! Super-Mini Meet
Oct 17, 2006 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 182

neilvg

Headphoneus Supremus
This meet is in response to this thread (page 5): http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=1#post2436378

I'm basically thinking we can have a small get together at my apartment for those who are really interested in hearing the following:

K1000 ; Pass Labs Aleph 3 & Firstwatt F1
HE90 ; HEV90 & ES-1 (Maxxed)

Source: EMM Labs CDSD/DCC2

We can also concurrently drive 2 HE60's and an Omega 2, so feasibly, we can concurrently listen to 5 headphones from the same source. If ahem, Neilpeart... wants to come and bring his K1000, we'll have 6 headphones that might be able to be driven at once (since the EMM Labs can drive four separate amps).

The intent is to have a focused down mini meet with the goal of listening to all of these headphones concurrently. I'd like to keep the group small, and to those who really want to listen to these combo's. The meet will take place at my apartment in San Francisco.

*The following have expressed interest (i'd like to keep the group ~10)
===

voltron
humanflyz
xantus
Grahame
robm321
neilvg
utep10
daba
granodemostasa
blessingx
Neilpeart
yellafella321

===

*We are at the limit. We have 12 interested members (including myself). If Sleestack joins us, we will have 13, and a full house.

WANTED: One more HE90 for the Meet. Do we know anybody who has one, and who's around?
..FOUND: One more HE90. We will now have a possible 7 Headphones that can be listened to concurrently from the same source.
biggrin.gif

===

Offical Party @ Neil's Announcement:
We have settled upon a date: Sunday, January 21st.

I am thinking that we can get started around Noonish. Since there will likely be a minimum of setup, I'm imagining that we can spend the afternoon leisurely listening to music, comparing the rigs, and hanging out. As is a tradition in these parts, we can all get some dinner (thai anyone
wink.gif
) together afterwards if people feel like it (we can also order in - lots of good Pizza Joints around too).

Location: I will email those on the attendee list. Please inform me in this thread if you will be able to make it!

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 182
I'll let you guys know when I get my F1 in. I will probably need a ride from someone, and hopefully daba (David Z) can drive me there, since he really likes the EMM Labs gear and probably won't turn down a chance to hear it one more time.
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 182
Right on, Neil. This should be good, especially if Vegas Bruce can make it!
cool.gif
Gotta get word to Leeav, which I'm sure we can handle, and maybe Clarke could make it for this. I am jammin' some Shpongle on Rhapsody to celebrate!
340smile.gif

Now, we just need an F1 ETA! Well, Michael, when do you think it will it be arriving?

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 182
I like the idea of having five or six headphones at once. This will make sure the majority are appeased
wink.gif

Bruce - Of course you can come my friend. I'll add you to the list.

Neil

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
It will definitely be here by the end of this month, and that's the best I can do right now.

That is great. I also want Mikhail to send down that ES-1. I'm thinking he'll likely (???) have it done by the end of the month as well.

Neil

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 182
I'll remember to bring my SACDs this time (I had forgotten them for the marin meet) I've got Oh Brother Where Art Thou, DSOTM, Lost in Space (aimee mann) and Vespertine (bjork) as I'd never heard sacd sound as good as it did through your stack at the meet.

oh niel, whereabouts are you at in SF? just wondering if bart/muni will be an option instead of driving.

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
The intent is to have a focused down mini meet with the goal of listening to all of these headphones concurrently. I'd like to keep the group small, and to those who really want to listen to these combo's.

Neil,
Any thoughts on what the playlist is likely to be? That way (I/we) can devote some dedicated listening time before the event and (re)familiarize ourselves with the source material. All the better to appreciate whats on offer.

G.

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 182
I'd really like to go...

I'm really interested in seeing how my mpx3 and gs-1000 would scale on the emm labs...

but if there isn't much interest for this than i'd like to just go and listen to that he90 again!

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 182
Yella - Leave the MPX3 and GS1K at home. We'll likely have the source maxxed out. But that does bring up an interesting point that Grahame has brought up. Not sure if this has ever been done, but it would be very cool and interesting to have a "Setlist" that we can familiarize ourselves with beforehand. Now granted, not all of us will have access to these CD's, but I'm thinking if we can pick, say 6 or 7 CD's, or, even better, make a meet MIX CD (which we can proliferate to each other) in addition to several SACD's of note, this would work out well.

I'm open to suggestions regarding this, but another reason I like this idea is because, I've found that at meets, lots of people want to hear their specific tracks of choice, and much time gets used up switching CD's (the EMM is not strong in the CD Loading Time department). If we can get a collective MIX CD going, with tracks everyone wants to hear, and proliferate this before the meet, this would be an awesome way of really getting to compare tracks that we are familiar with on our own setups, and on the "Collective Meet Rig(s)".

Neil

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #14 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
Yella - Leave the MPX3 and GS1K at home. We'll likely have the source maxxed out. But that does bring up an interesting point that Grahame has brought up. Not sure if this has ever been done, but it would be very cool and interesting to have a "Setlist" that we can familiarize ourselves with beforehand. Now granted, not all of us will have access to these CD's, but I'm thinking if we can pick, say 6 or 7 CD's, or, even better, make a meet MIX CD (which we can proliferate to each other) in addition to several SACD's of note, this would work out well.

I'm open to suggestions regarding this, but another reason I like this idea is because, I've found that at meets, lots of people want to hear their specific tracks of choice, and much time gets used up switching CD's (the EMM is not strong in the CD Loading Time department). If we can get a collective MIX CD going, with tracks everyone wants to hear, and proliferate this before the meet, this would be an awesome way of really getting to compare tracks that we are familiar with on our own setups, and on the "Collective Meet Rig(s)".

Neil

This is a cool idea, and I think if we each pick 2 songs or so for the Collective Mix CD then we could come up with something to share around ahead of time. If somebody has the ability to rip and burn quality CDs, we could send him our contributions on CD and then he could just burn the Collective Mix and mail them around. If Netflix can do it, so can we.
biggrin.gif
As for SACDs, whoever has them can bring them, and if we have SACDs for any/all of the songs on the Collective Mix CD then we could do that comparo as well.
orphsmile.gif

Man, does this sound geeky or what!
redface.gif

Oh, and I told Sleestack about this idea and he might try to make it depending on his schedule. If he brings anything, we thought the Esoteric combo might be a nice side-by-side comparison with the Emm Labs.

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #15 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Oh, and I told Sleestack about this idea and he might try to make it depending on his schedule. If he brings anything, we thought the Esoteric combo might be a nice side-by-side comparison with the Emm Labs.

If Richard brings the P03/D03 that would RULE. That would be the other combo I'd be interested in hearing. And of course, that ups the headphone pot, and we could potentially all be listening to something concurrently!

JOY! Total Geekdom has arrived!

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back