Parts suggestions for reactivating a tube jukebox
May 18, 2018 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bcschmerker4

That's bcschmerker4® to you!
This month, my house was gifted a WurliTzer® Model 1800 Multi-Selector Phonograph, a monaural "pay to play" device common to public venues with capacity for fifty-two 45 RPM discs in the 7" size format. The amplifier/power supply module packs nine tubes: one 12AX7 high-μ twin triode, one 6J5 medium-μ triode, two 12BH7 low-μ twin triodes, two 6SJ7 sharp-cutoff pentodes, two 6L6G beam power tubes, and one 5U4GA direct-heated half-wave rectifier. When received, although empty, it was set to play Disc C5/C6 (as C5), so I'll have to figure out what's necessary to return the odd-sides carrier to stowed. I also need to research the tone cartridge and stylus used on the turntable, which plays the disc in the vertical plane with a critically-balanced tone arm.

Some of the necessary revalves are current production; Groove Tubes® has a ready market for 12AX7A high-μ twin triodes (a cleaner version of the 12AX7 incorporating some of the high-precision manufacture techniques of the discontinued 7025A) and 6L6GC beam power tubes, which are used in musical instrument amplifiers; Electro-Harmonix® markets the 12BH7 as a revalve for their own vacuum-tube effects processors. Where I could use some advice involves the 6SJ7's, 6J5, and 5U4GA; I remember frying a Howard® multiband shortwave receiver when the Sovtek® 5Y3G I used to replace a worn-out RCA 5Y3GT arc'ed over, and I'd rather not repeat the casualty.

So what brand tubes of each of the types listed above sound best on known tube amps in the Summit-Fi world? These would make a candidate list for bringing the Model 1800 back to service.

May 18, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 7
Awesome unit! Not sure about the tubes, but given the age, if it hasn't been restored yet, you should check the carbon comp resistors for drifting. Also swap out the electrolytics which are likely dried out, and replace the selenium rectifier for safety.

May 19, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 7
With all due respect, @HiGHFLYiN9, the WurliTzer® 1800's design predates selenium and germanium solid-state devices. The 5U4GA uses a tungsten cathode and two copper-clad steel anodes for heat tolerance within the vacuum envelope. The other modules consist primarily of electromechanical control components for the turntable, disc carriers, and carousel.

May 19, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 7
If the thing is in really good condition you might want to find a professional to look at it first. Things like these perfectly and correctly restored are worth significant sums of money, and repairs with non vintage parts kill the resale value.

May 24, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 7
With all due respect, @HiGHFLYiN9, the WurliTzer® 1800's design predates selenium and germanium solid-state devices.
Oh okay. I saw it was from 1955 and I have a couple of HH Scotts and Dynacos from that time period (albeit late 1950s) I restored and they had the Selenium rectifiers. You may want to post on DIYAudio.com in the tubes section, there'd likely be more suggestions. I don't think many people here on HeadFi are familiar with vintage restoration / DIY. Also Kevin here is a very smart fellow (to say the least), so I'd regard his comment highly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back