(partly) Portable full sized headphones?
Apr 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MayonaiseYo

New Head-Fier
I have been reading this forum for about a year and a half and have still not decided on a pair of headphones .__.
I have been looking at the Sony mdr 1r and the v moda crossfade m100. I was hoping for some semi portable headphones but I will not mind walking around with a beyerdynamic dt770 if I have to. I don't have much of a music preference but if it really matters, it will.mainly be used for alternative and indie rock (still preferrably flat ish)
Also it might be good to note that I have large ears and while on ears don't bother me too much, I would really much prefer some over ears.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 19
Add Sennheiser Momentum and AKG K550 to that list and you've basically got the 5 best closed headphones under $350 to chose from. 

Some would also suggest the Soundmagic HP100, but I can't comment on it as I've never heard it.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
Add Sennheiser Momentum and AKG K550 to that list and you've basically got the 5 best closed headphones under $350 to chose from. 

Some would also suggest the Soundmagic HP100, but I can't comment on it as I've never heard it.

I might remove the K550's for portability.. they're huge O_O

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
I might remove the K550's for portability.. they're huge O_O

I took "(partly) portable" to mean for use at home also. Plus they are closed backs. 
But I do agree with you 
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 19
I don't mind the huge headphones although the availability of the momentums are a little bit questionable in New Zealand retailing at $600. I could get them off Amazon but I was hoping.to buy local. Yeah I've considered the momentum but the only ones I can demo have sound coming out of one side :/

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #6 of 19
I do not really like K550 unamped because it don't work on me! No sound came out with my iNano 3! But there is with iPhone and this is unusual. Anyway, so I will definately prefer an amp for K550 just to play safe but if you do not want it, I like MDR-1R and I will second these after K550

Billson :)

Hope this help!

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #7 of 19
Unfortunately, there are so.many headphones that I am unable to try and the k550 happens to be one of them. Is there anyone who could describe the square of the k550s in relation to the k/q701s? They happen to be the only akgs that I am able to have a proper look at.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 19
Apr 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #10 of 19
Not for them but have reviewed for them. I suggest them as I was one of the first to get them, and they thrash the competition. I'm not surprised a lot by products, but the HP100 are truly excellent for the price.

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
Unfortunately, there are so.many headphones that I am unable to try and the k550 happens to be one of them. Is there anyone who could describe the square of the k550s in relation to the k/q701s? They happen to be the only akgs that I am able to have a proper look at.

Describe the square? Not sure what you mean bro.. but here's some pics in relation to my hand and 7 1/4" head. These mammoths are light on the head though.. :)

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 19
SQ* my phone autofixes "typos". Apparently I'm not allowed to use acronyms and type fast at the same time.
Thanks for the pictures though :D They do swivel right? I think it would be helpful seeing as they will not only be used at home (and no I do not mind that they are big. I could walk around with a 5.1ch speaker system on my head and my only complaint would be about the weight).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back