Paradox and Mad Dog Comparison
Mar 13, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #31 of 64
thanks! im assuming the peaks represent the distortion points?

The Y axis represents the amount of distortion with X being the frequencies. At any given point, the higher up you go on the Y axis, the more distortion there is at that frequency.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #32 of 64
Quote:
It is a measurement of total distortion.....the peaks are increases in THD

Quote:
The Y axis represents the amount of distortion with X being the frequencies. At any given point, the higher up you go on the Y axis, the more distortion there is at that frequency.

thank you both very much! i didnt even know harmonic distortion existed in headphones. i see fights over fractures of percentages of THD in amps, maybe people should take a look at their headphones first! this has been an eye opener for me, cheers!

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

thank you both very much! i didnt even know harmonic distortion existed in headphones. i see fights over fractures of percentages of THD in amps, maybe people should take a look at their headphones first! this has been an eye opener for me, cheers!

I only know a few things.....Inner fidelity is a great resource for this

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #34 of 64
Having read this thread, I am really looking forward to receiving the MadDogs+Alpha Pads. I only have the Fiio E17 as an amp/dac, so I'm wondering if I ought to add the E09k to get the most out of these (I can dock the E17 in it and keep utilizing the DAC). My current full-size cans are Koss DJ100s; I'm expecting to have a "eureka!" moment. Am I setting myself up for disappointment? Will the improvement from the Koss to the MadDogs be subtle or substantial?

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #35 of 64
I can't say exactly how you'll feel, but I can't say either the Paradox or Mad Dog gave me that eureka feeling when I first heard them. I think they will grow on you, however. I found it strange going from colored headphones to something much more neutral, and it can take some adjustment time.

I'm not sure what headphones you've listened to, but just understand that many headphones compared to the Paradox or Mad Dog will likely have a more colored sound, higher distortion, and overall slower decay in the sound. I think you will be more satisfied with them if you keep this in mind and don't set up any expectations before listening. :)

I would also highly suggest looking into a better DAC/amp setup...maybe something like the Schiit Magni/Modi combo for $200. That will help you realize the Mad Dog's potential. Other good alternatives include the O2/ODAC, Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II (can be a bit quiet on well recorded/mastered tracks with low gain and high dynamic range). I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but I'd divert my funds towards gear like that instead of more Fiio stuff. :wink:

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #36 of 64
Quote:
Having read this thread, I am really looking forward to receiving the MadDogs+Alpha Pads. I only have the Fiio E17 as an amp/dac, so I'm wondering if I ought to add the E09k to get the most out of these (I can dock the E17 in it and keep utilizing the DAC). My current full-size cans are Koss DJ100s; I'm expecting to have a "eureka!" moment. Am I setting myself up for disappointment? Will the improvement from the Koss to the MadDogs be subtle or substantial?

Congrats, I was after them as well, but too late.......

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #37 of 64
Quote:
I can't say exactly how you'll feel, but I can't say either the Paradox or Mad Dog gave me that eureka feeling when I first heard them. I think they will grow on you, however. I found it strange going from colored headphones to something much more neutral, and it can take some adjustment time.

I'm not sure what headphones you've listened to, but just understand that many headphones compared to the Paradox or Mad Dog will likely have a more colored sound, higher distortion, and overall slower decay in the sound. I think you will be more satisfied with them if you keep this in mind and don't set up any expectations before listening. :)

I would also highly suggest looking into a better DAC/amp setup...maybe something like the Schiit Magni/Modi combo for $200. That will help you realize the Mad Dog's potential. Other good alternatives include the O2/ODAC, Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II (can be a bit quiet on well recorded/mastered tracks with low gain and high dynamic range). I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but I'd divert my funds towards gear like that instead of more Fiio stuff. :wink:

I'm not sure Schiit products are available in Vietnam. I do know I can get reasonably priced tube amps for around $200. All I've listened to extensively is Koss DJ100s and to my ears, they render high quality recordings very well out of an E17 (but that's compared to, well....nothing
tongue.gif
). I may just go with the E09K for the extra juice and worry about getting a more substantial amp/dac combo down the road. I'll poke around and see if anybody carries Schiit's stuff.

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #39 of 64
Whoops, missed that you were in Vietnam! Well, just something to consider if you CAN find anything. :)

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #40 of 64
Quote:
Whoops, missed that you were in Vietnam! Well, just something to consider if you CAN find anything.
smily_headphones1.gif

There are a couple of small headphone shops here that sell Nuforce, Fiio, Dark Voice, Aune, Bryson, Furutech, and a few other brands of desktop amps; Schiit may be out of the question, though. I'm not inclined to have an amp shipped internationally - I feel like it's a gamble, plus they hit you with a sizable import duty, too. It's annoying because there are no domestic brands for them to protect - it's a straight-up shakedown. It's worse with buying a car here - 100% import tax plus 20% additional tax just to register it. I haven't been able to track down a Schiit reseller as of yet.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #41 of 64
Quote:
There are a couple of small headphone shops here that sell Nuforce, Fiio, Dark Voice, Aune, Bryson, Furutech, and a few other brands of desktop amps; Schiit may be out of the question, though. I'm not inclined to have an amp shipped internationally - I feel like it's a gamble, plus they hit you with a sizable import duty, too. It's annoying because there are no domestic brands for them to protect - it's a straight-up shakedown. It's worse with buying a car here - 100% import tax plus 20% additional tax just to register it. I haven't been able to track down a Schiit reseller as of yet.

Those are some pretty good brands.....I am sure you can find something with good synergy

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #42 of 64
Thx for the comparison.  Looking into MD vs. Paradox too, but I personally can't justify the $200 difference either based on what I've read so far.
Taking a ~ $100 HP, tweak it and sell it for $400 more. 
eek.gif
  Quality/improvement/time invested.... aside, to me that's pretty stiff.  IMO, MD seems to hit the balance point dead on @ $300 as far as perf/price value.

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #43 of 64
Quote:
Thx for the comparison.  Looking into MD vs. Paradox too, but I personally can't justify the $200 difference either based on what I've read so far.
Taking a ~ $100 HP, tweak it and sell it for $400 more. 
eek.gif
  Quality/improvement/time invested.... aside, to me that's pretty stiff.  IMO, MD seems to hit the balance point dead on @ $300 as far as perf/price value.

I prefer my Paradox to the HD650, there both $500 so Luis must be doing something right. I wrote a comparison review between the 2 if you are interested at all.

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #44 of 64
Quote:
I prefer my Paradox to the HD650, there both $500 so Luis must be doing something right. I wrote a comparison review between the 2 if you are interested at all.

are you bringing your Paradox to the meet next month?  I would love to hear it.  Thx.

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #45 of 64
Quote:
Quote:

are you bringing your Paradox to the meet next month?  I would love to hear it.  Thx.

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back