Panasonic RP-HTX7 thread
Apr 24, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #31 of 52
So I went to do the "tape mod" and one lousy screw held me up. Try as I might I could not get that ****** out! I was using those mini Philips screw drivers that opticians use, which usually serve me well with tiny screws. Alas I will have to invest in a longer handle Philips for more leverage. I would like to report that David Gilmour's On an Island sounds nice on these.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #32 of 52
shame that screw was being a bas***d hope you can get it out, as the tape mod really does help. for $30 they are a steal. i think the build quality is really good for the price, metal headband that is bomb proof (i managed to bend mine back into shape after someone bent them completly out of shape) the cups are plastic but very unlikely to break and the cable is really nice quality.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #33 of 52

Quote:
shame that screw was being a bas***d hope you can get it out, as the tape mod really does help. for $30 they are a steal. i think the build quality is really good for the price, metal headband that is bomb proof (i managed to bend mine back into shape after someone bent them completly out of shape) the cups are plastic but very unlikely to break and the cable is really nice quality.

Yeah I am going to pick up a beefier handled screwdriver today so I can wrestle that screw outta there. I am really curious to hear what the tape mod does to the sound. Does it bring out the mids quite a bit? I think I will pick up some flat black paint as well, as I am not too keen on the slime green colour. Or maybe I will do a Van Halen "Frankenstein" paint job on them... 
cool.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #34 of 52
I picked up a screwdriver that did the trick for getting these phones apart. I used double sided acrylic tape on the holes. I did notice a slight improvement in the mids and the bass was tamed as well, perhaps a bit too much for my taste. The treble still seems a bit bright though. Perhaps only covering one hole would be sufficient? These phones sure do love metal. I have been playing Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets and these things just eat it up.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #38 of 52
I was wondering how you guys&gals handle the massive sound leaking ?

I have had my headphones now for some time and I love them but am only wearing the headphones at home.It is not because I blast it very loud from my mobile phone or my mp3 player or what not ... I just simply hear EVERYTHING outside of the phones, very clear. And other people have told me as well, and I have triede having other wear them so I can hear it myself.

I tried googling "how to fix sound leak" or different combos of these words with headphones but came up blank.

I am thinking myself of some type of sound isolation foam , small thin lining, or the stuff you use for cars, but can not find the equivalent for smaller items, some sort of foil to put into the "cups" of the headphones.

Maybe it is the soft "donut" , the foamy thing going around my ears that is the weak spot, I don't know, they sit pretty tight.

Did someone do a mod on this , maybe with some other phones , but basically the same problem ?

I would really appreciate any info anyone has on this subject, as these are amazing headphones with so much potential.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #39 of 52
never had that problem, your probably listening too loud if leakage happens as they isolate very well

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #41 of 52
Quote:
I was wondering how you guys&gals handle the massive sound leaking ?

Did someone do a mod on this , maybe with some other phones , but basically the same problem ?

I would really appreciate any info anyone has on this subject, as these are amazing headphones with so much potential.

Actually that sound leakage is very normal phenomenon (in open headphone)....... In fact, I found that the bigger the leakage, the less fatigue it is....

Just use Closed headphone, earphone, or  IEM  for obviously less leakage. If that still not helping, just lower your music's volume...
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #43 of 52
Just bought some today to replace my dying Goldring DR150 phones (headband cracked into multiple pieces now, repairs are just hanging in there). Already done the 2 hole mod and planning on recabling but not in the same way as most do.

If I can fit a 3.5 Jack Socket into the case they'll be wired to that, if not I'll dangle one off a very short lead and then use the QED cable from the Goldrings. That will also allow me to switch between my 3m lead on the computer, 1m lead for portable use, 5m lead for use downstairs with the HiFi and even the 10m lead if I feel like chilling on the bed with the music source being the computer.

(Un)Fortunately I don't have to spend massive amounts on cables as I doubt I could tell the difference between a decent budget cable and a high end one, years of riding motorbikes and a misspent youth have taken a bit of a toll on my hearing. It's good enough to tell the difference between decent headphones like these and cheaper, nastier ones but not good enough to pick up cable nuances.

If you want to know what colour I got, see my avatar.
smile.gif

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #44 of 52
Okay, here we go.

I just got these headphones today, and they are by far the best $30 headphones with the worst earpads.

Now that I have your attention, these earpads are stiff and I can imagine they'll mold into the shape of my head like the ATH-A900X earpads.
The RP-HTX7 earpads give off a recessed midrange but punchy bass. Maybe similar to the A900X (thus why I ordered alpha pads for them, and hope they come in the mail soon).
So I decided to take off the earpads from an old headset, the "Soundblaster Tactic 3d Wrath wireless headset". The earpads on these are soft, and about half a centimeter wider in width compared to the HTX7 earpads. So instead of slipping the fabric underneath the plastic ring that clips to the headphone, I wrapped it around the earcup instead.

The result?

Bass is a bit muddy, but definitely more sub bass. There however is LESS punchy bass, maybe even less punchy than the AKG Q701's. However the sub bass is twice more than before, it sometimes even bleeds a little into the midrange.
HOWEVER! The midrange is a lot smoother, compared to before. The HTX7 has a dip somewhere in the 1khz range that makes female vocals sound a bit nasally. I'll be honest and say the mids are even comparable to the A900X with the replaced earpads on the HTX7.

Anywho, with the stock earpads, they sound great. Punchy bass, recessed mids, and a selective (but sparkly) range of highs.
The reason I bought these headphones is because of an anime girl from Hanasaku Iroha. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back